• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Service record unavailable

Maria Magenta

master brummie
A friend applied for his father's army service record, and after a very long time was told that because of certain information it contains, the record can't be released until well into the next decade.

He knows that his father was in Italy and North Africa but would like to know details like exactly where, and what his father did. Is there another way of finding out? Would a service record go into such detail anyway?

what year were the records for....if it was ww2 then they are available from the MOD

lyn

well that is odd maria...i know a lot of people who have accessed ww2 records ..as far as i know all you have to do is to prove who you are and prove that the person whos records you require are deceased..(this is if they are) could you ask you friend what reason he was given to be denied access to his dads records?

lyn

well that is odd maria...i know a lot of people who have accessed ww2 records ..as far as i know all you have to do is to prove who you are and prove that the person whos records you require are deceased..(this is if they are) could you ask you friend what reason he was given to be denied access to his dads records?

lyn
It is strange, lyn, and I thought it would be straightforward. Apparently the record contains some medical information, so it's a question of medical confidentiality. But surely lots of soldiers needed medical treatment, either for wounds or things like having their appendix removed, so in that case many records would be unavailable? It doesn't seem to make sense. Yes, his dad is dead and as far as I know my friend provided all the necessary evidence.

well like you i find this all very odd as you say many must have received medical attention..

i wonder if any of our other members have come across this stumbling block and could advise you...

lyn

lyn

Lyn, It is not always straightforward.

I have been trying to access a set of Army records for over two years, to no avail.

This was the last reply:

"We are unable to open
this record
because all of the information is exempt under Section 41 of the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 2000. This means that we cannot make the record open to you or to the public in general. "

Steve.

Lyn, It is not always straightforward.

I have been trying to access a set of Army records for over two years, to no avail.

This was the last reply:

"We are unable to open
this record
because all of the information is exempt under Section 41 of the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 2000. This means that we cannot make the record open to you or to the public in general. "

Steve.
That's interesting steve, and similar to my friend's experience. He had to make a FOI request - and it took ages.

Thanks, both of you. I'll let my friend know what you've said.

I think SOE is a likely reason.

MOD will not disclose any information where this could prejudice the capability, effectiveness or security of its forces.
Though they should give a reason, as I understand this:
"In the very rare case where release of information from a service record might be prejudicial or cannot be released for other reasons, the applicant will be advised of the relevant FOIA statutory exemption that applies to its non-disclosure."

I find this rather peculiar (from https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/1202/information-about-the-deceased-foi-eir.pdf)

In the case of information about the deceased that is environmental in nature, the equivalent provisions of the EIR willapply, such as regulation 13 (personal information) andregulation 12(5)(f) (interests of the person who provided theinformation to the public authority).

Evironmmental in nature?? What does that mean. That brings to mind (though was after the war, so does not apply here) where soldiers were "volunteered " to test the effect of nerve gases

MOD will not disclose any information where this could prejudice the capability, effectiveness or security of its forces.
"In the very rare case where release of information from a service record might be prejudicial or cannot be released for other reasons, the applicant will be advised of the relevant FOIA statutory exemption that applies to its non-disclosure."

I find this rather peculiar (from https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/1202/information-about-the-deceased-foi-eir.pdf)

In the case of information about the deceased that is environmental in nature, the equivalent provisions of the EIR willapply, such as regulation 13 (personal information) andregulation 12(5)(f) (interests of the person who provided theinformation to the public authority).

Evironmmental in nature?? What does that mean. That brings to mind (though was after the war, so does not apply here) where soldiers were "volunteered " to test the effect of nerve gases

The records that I was applying for, were from 1937. I know that the person concerned was accidentally shot and killed.

The partial record that I have been able to access on line, states cause of death as "Gunshot wound". Not KIA, or blood poisoning, etc. as all others listed.

Why would I suspect a cover-up? I do know the circumstances of the death, from someone who was there at the time.

I did apply for a "late registration of death", but that was refused.

Steve.

I met someone who had been a volunteer (though he hadn't volunteered) for something like this. He was doing National Service and he and others were put in a room and some kind of gas was released.

I sent for and received my fathers National service Army records. There was no indication on them that he had been sent to Korea. He had, because he had a Korea medal. He never discussed his experiences. The only photos I have are of him in barracks and with the dogs he trained. I have no idea how to get this information in order to fill in the gaps. I know that part of his service was in Tring, Hertfordshire. He was in the Warwickshire regiment.

Back