• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Seeking pub identification

Joart

proper brummie kid
Can anyone help identify this Ansells pub? Apologies that it’s a very blurry, old photo. My grandfather was the publican Arthur Glover… I believe the photo was pinned up behind the bar, hence the ‘No slate here’ message! Possibly Hockley area? 1930s/1940s. Sorry to be so vague but I have little other information. He was a tenant landlord at The Bridge Tavern sometime in 2nd World War ( mentioned in a book by Kathleen Deyus) . Could it be the Bridge? Any information would be lovely. Thankyou.

Attachments

• IMG_6298.jpeg
    IMG_6298.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 55
if you mean the bridge tavern hunters road hockley then no its not that pub...here is a photo of it..it rings no bells with me at the min but maybe someone could look up your grandfather name in the kellys directories as you say photo too blurry to read the road or street sign ...fingers crossed

lyn

Attachments

• image (75).jpg
    image (75).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16
if you mean the bridge tavern hunters road hockley then no its not that pub...here is a photo of it..it rings no bells with me at the min but maybe someone could look up your grandfather name in the kellys directories as you say photo too blurry to read the road or street sign ...fingers crossed

lyn
Thankyou very much. I’ll do some further research. And fingers crossed!

no mark not the burton house either..here it is at the top end of hunters road that meets with villa road...building still there

image (76).jpg

Last edited:
We can see from Lyn's photo that it is not the Bridge Tavern. but this has shown a peculiar anomaly in Kellys. This from the 1936 till the 1940 editions shows the Bridge Tavern as being with landlord Arthur D. Glover in the streets and trades sections. But the only time his name appears in the commercial names section is in 1936.

so just to re cap...we have a photo of the bridge tavern and the brittania both of which arthur ran but now need to solve the name of the pub on post 1...i feel i should know it but searching through the hundreds of old pub photos i have will take time..

lyn

Last edited:
In 1931 they are listed on Worcester eroll at the Ewe and Lamb at 5 Angel Street Worcester.
Lists both Arthur Dennis and Gladys Minnie.
1727372505859.png

Still there in 1935

Last edited:
found this photo and info of the ewe and lamb on the net...17th century pub demolished 1970s but they retained the frontage of the pub

20190328155405-272d4cf7-me.jpg

Arthur Dennis and Gladys Minnie - right people?
On 1930 eroll were at The Britannia inkerman Street
Oh yes that’s them! Thankyou so much. I’m new to all this researching family histories, so just trying to get my head round it all.

found this photo and info of the ewe and lamb on the net...17th century pub demolished 1970s but they retained the frontage of the pub

View attachment 195343

Thankyou. I knew about them being at the Ewe and Lamb. I love to see the old documents though!
In 1931 they are listed on Worcester eroll at the Ewe and Lamb at 5 Angel Street Worcester.
Lists both Arthur Dennis and Gladys Minnie.
View attachment 195339

Still there in 1935
so just to re cap...we have a photo of the bridge tavern and the brittania both of which arthur ran but now need to solve the name of the pub on post 1...i feel i should know it but searching through the hundreds of old pub photos i have will take time..

lyn
Thankyou Lyn. You are a super sleuth! I seem to get lost in documentation when loking for all the information.

There's an Arthur D Glover at 18 Hunters Road on the 1939 Register listed as a Public House Manager, so could it be Burton House?

Though the picture doesn't seem to match the map.
I also don't think it was on a corner - I just posted it as the dates narrow things down a bit. Wow 4 pubs in one street
View attachment 195341
4 pubs. That’s quite a choice if you lived on Angel Street! Thankyou.

no doubt about it the mystery pub on post 1 is the travellers rest corner of whitehead road and bartons bank aston..now that we know this i can now make out it does say bartons bank on the wall

i checked the 1950 electoral rolls and found arthur and minnie glover at 37 whitehead road aston further research showed that address to be the travellers rest

managed to find a photo of the pub but only showing the 2 pub windows on the bartons bank side which are identical to the windows showing in the photo on post 1...this photo was taken after 1950 by which time the travellers rest had become a davenports pub...here is the original photo posted and the one i found to compere..hope this helps

image (79).jpgimage (78).jpg

The Traveller's Rest… thankyou VERY much. This forum has been brilliant in solving the mystery of the blurred photo. So pleased I found you. Thankyou for the time you have spent discovering the new image, it is very much appreciated. I now have a growing list of pubs Arthur D Glover and Gladys Minnie were busy pulling pints. Cheers!

The Traveller's Rest… thankyou VERY much. This forum has been brilliant in solving the mystery of the blurred photo. So pleased I found you. Thankyou for the time you have spent discovering the new image, it is very much appreciated. I now have a growing list of pubs Arthur D Glover and Gladys Minnie were busy pulling pints. Cheers!

always happy to help joart...hope you enjoy the forum there is so much to learn about birmingham history on here..just use the search box top right of the page...without blowing our own trumpet this forum is very good in the fact that unlike say the facebook pages we have dedicated threads for different topics so your posts cant get lost or mixed up with other different posts we also have some very good researchers...and yes arthur and minnie certainly loved running pubs..later on i will do another electoral search just to see if they had any others and if they did i will let you know

lyn

Here is the full page for the eroll entry at the Ewe and Lamb. I posted the clip of Arthur and Gladys in post #13
Worcester eroll.jpg

Back