• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

Q.E..jpg
This is of course the old hospital, I do not have a date but I assume it is soon after opening.

Stitcher, on the thread "City Centre Photographs" #1644, you have this photo taken at a much later date. It's interesting to compare them, thank you. You have been posting so many lovely pictures lately.
rosie.

Picked up this somewhat unusual postcard today. It shows the opening ceremony of the "Africa and the East" exhibition in Birmingham. There is no writing on the back but I believe the date would be around 1910 and that the event was organised by the Church Missionary Society. I have no idea where the event was held. Dave.
Scan_20171125 (2).jpg

Picked up this somewhat unusual postcard today. It shows the opening ceremony of the "Africa and the East" exhibition in Birmingham. There is no writing on the back but I believe the date would be around 1910 and that the event was organised by the Church Missionary Society. I have no idea where the event was held. Dave.
View attachment 120508

There was an Africa and the East exhibition at Birmingham during June 1910, but as yet can't find details.

looks like it was a regular exhibition that moved around the country until at least 1922.

Last edited:
Hagley Road postcard which was franked in 1905. I'm not really familiar with the Hagley Road so I don't know exactly where this was taken. I wouldn't have wanted to be one of the window cleaners working at such heights. Sorry for the dirty sky. Does anyone have a "today" photograph? Dave.
Scan_20171126 (2).jpg

Church of the Redeemer corner of Wyndham Road. Demolished 1970s

Attachments

• Hagley Road.JPG
    Hagley Road.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 37
I remember the Church of the Redeemer but I did not recognise the tower. Perhaps I never saw it from that angle. However I did place it by the shops near the Ivy Bush

I have this same postcard. There is a stamp on the back but unfortunately it is not franked. The stamp is a George V green halfpenny. This, plus the clothes worn in the photo, perhaps suggests 1910 or soon after. Dave.

I wonder, could Heathfield Hall be what became the maternity hospital, it sort of reminds me of the building where my children were born.

Back