• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sear Arthur Albert

BestDays

Brummie babby
Has anyone come across the above name? He figures in my genealogy though I can uncover little about him. He was living in Birmingham from the 40's and ran a fish & ship shop, possibly in the Digbeth or Sparkhill area. He was born c. 1903, possibly in Olney, and died c. 1969 while living in Kings Heath. Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.
Do you know if he was married and had children? If so their names might help in a search.
Members will help but the more bits of info you can provide will help us. Thanks

Possibly confusing a number people with the name Sears and Sear.

There are 2 people named Arthur Sears b c1903 listed on the 1939 Register but they are both Arthur T (Thomas/Tom), one born Aston the other born Pontypridd. One of them died in 1969.

However there is an Arthur Albert Sear b reg. 1906 Kings Norton, son of another Arthur Albert Sear who was born in Bham. However, his brother Alfred Bright Sear was born in Olney.

The younger Arthur Albert was living in Droitwich are in 1939. He also dies in 1969.

More info needed to work out which one is yours.

I'm moving this thread to our 'Surname Interests' section and placing the surname first in the thread title to aid members when looking for/researching the family.

Kellys lists Arthur Albert Sear as being a fried fish dealer at 100 Sandy Lane in the editions 1949 and 1950. It is not listed in 1947 or 1955. however the electoral rolls show him occupying the building in 1950 till 1962. The map below

map 1950s showing 100 Sandy lane , camp hill,.jpg

Arthur Albert Sear snr (as one date is 1904) is also listed as living in the Kings Heath area in several directories

Last edited:
In 1901 Arthur snr is living with his brother in Heathfield Road Kings Heath and it seems to be his brother who is born in Olney
1901.jpg

So we have an Arthur Albert born 1873 who is in Kings Heath on 1901 and 1911 censuses. He has an older brother born in Olney.
By 1911 he is married to an Annie and has 2 sons - Arthur Albert junior born in 1906 and Kenneth Graham born 1910.
Wife is Annie James married 1904

No idea if this son born 1906 is the right person or not.
1726146865256.png

Dear Janice, MWS, Viv & mikejee, thank you all of you! The information you have given is fascinating and really appreciated. I've had a welcome tho' rude awakening as to how complex these sort of searches can be. Mikejee has definitely pinned down the person I am researching. Please could you clarify if the Kelly's entry is for a Sear or Sears? I have a strong suspicion that pjmburn's A. A. Sear Jr. is the same person; the Olney connection is too much of a coincidence and likely his uncle. I'm still trying to work out how MWS's interesting detailing figures in the picture. AAS Jr was definitely married and had several (6?) children, possibly in Olney. Please do keep the information coming. I'm sure we'll get there eventually!

Assuming it is the Arthur Albert Sear b1906 (1 Aug) he married a Cicely H Cullimore in 1931 and there appear to be only 3 Sear/Cullimore children registered - Kathleen H, Kenneth W and Arthur J.

Arthur Albert Sear snr appear to have had 6 children - Arthur, Kenneth, Kathleen, Margaret (died young) Raymond and Beryl. Though I can't see a birth reg. for Beryl.

Dear MWS, Thank you! That's right on the button and very useful. Could you let me know where to gain those details on AAS Sr? With Forum members collective help I've managed to amass an illuminating amount of detail. I am so grateful.

Information was gathered from a number of sites...

Some you have to register with. Once you find his marriage you search for Sear births listed with the mother's mmn.

Albert snr appears to have married twice - an Emma Moody (nee Banks) in 1902 and an Annie James in 1904. Emma was the widow of a George Moody and already had a number of children. She and Albert had one daughter, Emma reg. Mar 1904. Sadly mother and daughter died soon afterwards, both deaths reg. Mar 1904.

On a side note, the 2 daughters of George Moody and Emma Banks must have had a sad early life. Dad died in 1901, mom died in 1904, and then they appear to have gone to live with their aunt (dad's sister) and uncle in Runcorn and she dies in 1909.

Assuming it is the Arthur Albert Sear b1906 (1 Aug) he married a Cicely H Cullimore in 1931 and there appear to be only 3 Sear/Cullimore children registered - Kathleen H, Kenneth W and Arthur J.

Arthur Albert Sear snr appear to have had 6 children - Arthur, Kenneth, Kathleen, Margaret (died young) Raymond and Beryl. Though I can't see a birth reg. for Beryl.
GRO details
arthur birth 1906.jpg
kenneth birth 1910.jpg
kathleen birth 1911.jpg
margaret birth 1913.jpg
raymond birth 1917.jpg

Not sure where Beryl fits in.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Beryl is with Arthur, Annie, Kenneth & his wife on the 1939 register. Born 1924, I've assumed she's Arthur and Annie's daughter even though there's no relationship info.

All this is inferred from the search results, I haven't seen the transcript or scan.

Could have been adopted maybe.

Beryl is with Arthur, Annie, Kenneth & his wife on the 1939 register. Born 1924, I've assumed she's Arthur and Annie's daughter even though there's no relationship info.

All this is inferred from the search results, I haven't seen the transcript or scan.

Could have been adopted maybe.

mark is this the 39...i cant see a beryl on it

lyn

tna_r39_5584_5584f_017.jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Is that from Ancestry Lyn? I assume she's still blanked out, on findmypast she appears to have been unblanked.

It looks as if Kenneth G Sear married Irene Keeley in 1938.
So no obvious link to Irene.

Last edited:
I'm so grateful for all the information you have put my way. With it I've made a lot of progress. I was surprised over AAS senior's first tragic marriage, and even more so at his rapid remarriage. I suspect Emma died in childbirth, perhaps along with her daughter, or shortly afterwards of puerperal fever. I'm curious to know now whether or not my suspicion that Emma (nee Banks) was the daughter of Frederick Banks, the highly successful Birmingham jeweller. Otherwise, of the George & Emma Moody children I can find no trace. Neither can I find children of Kenneth (b. 1910), Kathleen (d. aet 18yrs in 1929), or Raymond (d. aet 34yrs in 1951). Neither has Beryl J (b. 1924), surnamed also Moore thrown up any results. Seeing some of these stark statistics reminds me of how brutal life was for many until quite recently. And still is for many in other parts of the world.

I'm so grateful for all the information you have put my way. With it I've made a lot of progress. I was surprised over AAS senior's first tragic marriage, and even more so at his rapid remarriage. I suspect Emma died in childbirth, perhaps along with her daughter, or shortly afterwards of puerperal fever. I'm curious to know now whether or not my suspicion that Emma (nee Banks) was the daughter of Frederick Banks, the highly successful Birmingham jeweller. Otherwise, of the George & Emma Moody children I can find no trace. Neither can I find children of Kenneth (b. 1910), Kathleen (d. aet 18yrs in 1929), or Raymond (d. aet 34yrs in 1951). Neither has Beryl J (b. 1924), surnamed also Moore thrown up any results. Seeing some of these stark statistics reminds me of how brutal life was for many until quite recently. And still is for many in other parts of the world.
spec

if you would like any help with other surnames just start a new thread under our surnames interest of the forum..always happy to help especially when our members do a bit of research themselves and hit brick walls

lyn

The 2 daughters of George and Emma, were in Runcorn with their widowed uncle in 1911. The youngest married in the area (Shaw) and the elder married in London (Fulford).

Raymond had 2 daughters, Janet and Judith, both reg. Bromsgrove as was his marriage.

Kenneth had 1 daughter, Ann E I, reg. Bham

It does appear that Beryl may have been adopted. On her marriage to Bertram Moore she is listed as both Beryl J Sear and Beryl J Compton.

There is a matching birth reg. for a Beryl J Compton in Kings Norton district, no mmn (illegitimate).

On a bit of a tangent, I see that the elder Arthur Albert's brother - Alfred Bright - was also married twice and similarly his first wife died not long after giving birth to a daughter who was named after her mother. She survived though.

Also both their parents were married twice, each having 3 children though all their mother's (including twins) died young.

Back