• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scale Beam Maker

• Thread starter Thread starter dolores
  • Start date Start date
Just noticed this post had been resurrected....

But my William Lee of Bell Barn Road was born in in 1820 (ish) states place of birth as Henley in Arden, although never confirmed.

Had ONE known child Henry Lee born Birmingham 1844, I have never found a census with Henry and his parents/parent at all, There is a Henry Lee on the 1851 census as a nursed child.

Likewise I have never found his father William Lee with his wife, I surmised that Henry Lee's mother must have passed away just after his birth, and his father, never remarrying (not that I ever found a marriage) put his son Henry with foster parents.

Henry upon his marriage to Elizabeth Finch on October the 9th 1865 named his father as William Lee a "Scale Beam Maker", Henry later became a "Lithographic Printer" so in essence it was quite easy to track the pair throughout their lives.

William Lee passed away in 1888, his son Henry Lee 1929

William and his son Henry always lived very, very close to each other throughout their lives, but never together (well at least on any census).

And the name LEE was always LEE, never LEES.

Kind regards.

Dibs

Truebrit.

Im not sure what you mean by family names following each other. But just noticed post #7 mentions Wm Lees in Bell barn Rd, I do know that my G G & my G Grandfathers had some connections in Bell Barn Rd, Possibly owning a shop there mid 1800s.

As My G G Grandfather also owned about half a dozen houses in Inge St/Hurst St, I'm wondering how lucrative a trade it might have been. Although they could possibly have been his wifes.

I did my research about 20 years ago, pre Internet, and pre PCs, so the details might take some fnding now, but I'll have a look when I get some time and get back to you if I find anything interesting..

I am new to the forum and am investigation the family of William Lee 1801 of Henley in Arden. He had a son called William, is this the same one? William (1801) was married to Maria Harrall and had 12 children, the first of which was William (1820)
Look forward to hearing from you. Aylene

I'm reviving this old thread as I am looking for info about William Gilbert, clock maker, of Farm Street. He was my 4 x great grandfather.
It's interesting that in 1851 he is living with his son William (also a clock maker) plus Phebe Lee and her (?) father John Lee. In 1861 Phebe is still with the family and described as clock maker and housekeeper.
I can't find any reliable reference to William before 1851.
Can anyone provide info on this family and what was the relationship between the Gilbert and the Lee(s) family?
Thanks
Bev

In case you have not found this information from directories (remember that this early directories could be a couple of years out of date with respect to the nominal date):
1849 \Villiam,Gilbert, clock maker, court 8,Farm street ; house, court 2, Bridge street (White;s dir)
1853 William Gilbert, clock maker, no 1 court Bridge St West (Slaters Dir)
1855-58 William Gilbert watchmaker , 71 Hockley (This seems to be Hockley Hill) (Whites & Dix's dir)
No mention in the 1845 PO dir, or the 1846 & 1847 Slaters dir.

Thank you for that information, which ties in nicely with the censuses I have found.

He seems to have become quite a prominent clock maker as the years passed. I can't find him at all in 1841, the only William Gilbert even close to being a possibility is a medal maker. Is there any way a medal maker could have evolved into a clock maker? I rather think not but I'm not sure.

Bev

Afternoon
I have a Weighscale with its original copper plate and weights inscribed T Bourne ( it’s one of those kitchen weigh scales ) it’s a very heavy piece but is in excellent condition for its age

Back