• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Saunders family from Birmingham

svsaunders

proper brummie kid
Hello,

Iam trying to find out as much as possible about my family from very limited information, surely other researchers have the same problems where elder members of their family are very reluctant to share details of relatives etc for fear of what might be uncovered ? Does everyone have skeletons in cupboards etc ?

Anyway - its the Saunders side I am trying to find out details off, what I do know if that my great grandfather (James Thomas Luke Saunders) was born in Bristol however moved to Birmingham where he met and married his wife Sarah Ann Shute on 23/05/1897 at the parish church of St Johns, Ladywood. What I dont to know if how I find out more about them such as all details of their children, address and anyone else who might be connected .

What I have been struggling with are the details of their respective deaths as there seems to be no record on Ancestry, this leaves me with no idea of what happenned to them or where their remains are.

At the time of their marriage in 1897 the certificate shows that James was 21 and Sarah was 20 thus putting the year of birth at approx 1878. On the 1911 census it shows them both living in Birmingham which is great. It shows also show that James was born in Bristol and Sarah was born in Stafford.

If there is anyone who might be able to help or have any connection to the saunders family them please get in touch :)

Thanks

Hi again svsaunders, are these part of your Family ? Surname SAUNDERS mothers maiden name SHUTE .. Victor born 1917 register June vol 6d page 446, Hilda b 1918 June 6d 458, Edna b 1921 June 6d 610, Harold b 1924 June 6d 481. last child as Sarah would be 45-46 in 1924 there may be earlier children but these are the Birmingham register folks coming up on FreeBMD cheers John Y

Don’t know how much of this you know. The electoral roll lists him on the absent voters list at 164 hospital St in 1918 &1919 (19197, Pte., 12th Worcs). In 1919 it also lists James Childs Saunders at the same address (37789, Pte., 5th R.W.R).
Following that the listing for 164 hospital St is:
1920-22 James thomas, Sarah & Ernest Henry Saunders.
1925 James thomas , Sarah Elizabeth & Ernest Henry Saunders
1927 Sarah Elizabeth & Ernest Henry Saunders
1930-1935 Sarah Elizabeth Saunders
1939 Sarah Elizabeth & Christopher Saunders

It is a little complicated by the fact that there is also a James saunders with a sarah ann Saunders in 1930 at no 3 ct 4. Sherborne road, but she does not seem to be with him earlier or later

Hmm thinks it's possible that I am searching the wrong person?

Just looked at my grandfather's marriage certificate (Christopher Saunders) which I know is 100% spot on and it shows his father's name as being James Thomas Luke Saunders and the correct occupation. It does say he was deceased and their certificate is dates 1941 so he died before than date.

On the death certificate for Victor Saunders it shows that the father was again James Thomas Luke Saunders and mother Sarah Melinda Shute.. However the marriage certificate shows Sarah Ann Shute..

Man I am confused.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

1881 at 1, Elleys Sq, Stafford St Mary And Chad
Charles Shute aged 32 born 1849 Bidford, Devon,Shoe Finisher
Susan Shute Wife aged 29 born 1852 St Marys, Staffordshire
Annie Shute Daughter aged 8 born 1873 St Marys
Fanny Shute Daughter aged 5 born 1876 St Marys
Alice Shute Daughter aged 3 born 1878 St Marys
Sarah Malinda Shute Daughter aged 0 born 1881 St Marys
Births Sep 1879
Sarah Melinda Shute Stafford 6b 14
Deaths Dec 1885
Susan SHUTE aged 32 Stafford 6b 4

1891 at 56, Grey Friars, St Mary & St Chad, Stafford
Annie Shute aged 18 born 1873 Stafford,Servant
Alice Shute Sister aged 14 born 1877 Stafford,Servant
Sarah Shute Sister aged 11 born 1880 Stafford
Mercy Ainge, Lodger aged 20 born 1871 Stafford, Machinist
Annie Shute married James Swingwood 1894

There's a marriage record on familysearch for Alice Saunders, daughter of James Thomas Luke Saunders, to Albert Victor Rothen which took place on the 27th Jul 1929 at St George's. If the certificate listed the father as deceased it would narrow it down further.

If Lynne picks up the thread, she may have more info about Hospital Street, I'm sure some of her family are from there.
Sue

The James Charles mentioned in #3 died in the 1st World War
James Charles Saunders
Birth Place: Birmingham
Death Date: 22 Mar 1918
Death Location: France & Flanders
Enlistment Location: Birmingham
Regiment: Royal Warwickshire Regiment
Battalion: 2/7th Battalion
Number: 37789

Found the following death?
Name: Sarah M Saunders
Birth Date: abt 1881
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1939
Age at Death: 58
Registration district: Birmingham
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Volume: 6d
Page: 727

the address of 164 Hospital Street comes up on the marriage certificate and one of the death certificates that I have. Have you just listed parents and children or am I reading that incorrectly?

does that mean he was seeing two people at once or does it mean that there were 2 people with very similar names who might have connection to each other?

the dates on this do add up to being correct - I just need to make sure that this is the correct Sarah. the marriage certifciate says Sarah Ann however one of the birth certificates for children state Sarah Melinda...strange!

The entry for 164 Hospital street was from the electoral rolls, so will include anyone eligable to vote at that time, which would be men over 21 for all entries, married women over 21 and unmarried women over 30 for 1920-27, and anyone over 21 for 1930or over

There is a baptism submitted by a member of ancestry with the surname Shute of a
Sarah Ann Melinda Shute birthdate 24th August 1879,baptised 26th August 1882 Christ Curch Stafford parents Charles and Susan.
her 2 sisters also baptised on the same day
Fanny born 1875 and Ada born 1881 (Ada died in 1883 age 2)

thats it! thats the one ..

its the missing connection - I though that this may be the case....surely this would explain who she was signed Sarah Ann on her marriage certificate and Sarah Melinda on the childrens birth certificates?

I dont really have any info about Hospital St,I wasn't born till 1945, but the pic on my Avatar is of 174 to 182 Hospital Street so your relatives house would have been a few doors to the left of the shop.

Back