• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sanitorium Little Bromwich Hospital Yardley Green Road Yardley Road

I’ve just caught up with this thread. I worked in the admissions/discharge office, facing the Children’s ward. In the main gates turning left after the porters lodge. It was my first job and being a 16 year old I couldn’t have started anywhere greater than that place. I could write reams about it I loved it. Some have asked about previous records about the patients, when I was there I discovered several volumes (beautiful italic ink writing) of admissions and discharges of people going way back. Names, address and date of birth were included - they must be stored somewhere!
Hope this helps people.

Does anyone know if any medical records exist of patients who were in the fever hospital around 1928? My late Mom was in a fever hospital for some time & I assume that as she was from Small Heath, she may have been taken into Little Bromwich as she spoke of the ‘ fever hospital at Yardley’??? Thank you

if anyone has a photo of the outside of this sanitorium we would love to see them many thanks

lyn

My late Father was in Yardley Green Hospital with Tuberculosis in 1952. He had part of his lung removed under local anaesthetic. He was in for some time recovering. My Mum kept his letters from his time in the hospital including letters from his surgeon (attached). She was only allowed to visit once a week. He lived until he was 86 so I guess those surgeons gave him an extra 57 years.

Attachments

• TB Patient.pdf
    58.3 KB · Views: 22
Hi folks, I'm new here so please bear with me.

My sister and I are researching our mom's family history, and we are struggling. To start with, we are trying to find out which sanatorium/hospital our mom was in in her early 20s. She had TB and was in the sanatorium/hospital for two years. I'm going to upload the photos we have of our mom and her friends and nurses. It would be great if someone could tell us what the name of the hospital is, and even better if anyone else has connections to anyone - patient or nurse - that was there at the same time as our mom. Our mom was Margaret Rose Mason, born 1934. She had a best friend at the hospital called Bernadette. Any help would be gratefully received. Also, we know her father was a Frederick Charles Mason and her mother was Beatrice Maud Steel, and while we have some background on the Steels, we have nothing whatsoever on her father's family... so if there are any potential Mason's out there it would be good to hear from you. Attached photo is our mom, Margaret (left) with her best friend Bernadette (right).Scan5 crop1.jpg

Looking at the roof in the photo in your post#6 it could the sanatorium in the post below
Note how the roof windows frames have alternating thick and thin uprights

Last edited:
Looking at the roof in the photo in your post#6 it could the sanatorium in the post below
Note how the roof windows frames have alternating thick and thin uprights
Great, thanks. I had seen that photo, but this is the first time I've seen it with the sanatorium actually named.

When you walked up Hobmoor Road towards Blake Lane you could see the sanatorium on the right hand side my mother use to work for a company called Industrial Cleaning Services (I think) which backed onto the hospital grounds .
I am told the reason for building the sanatorium in that location is the area around Blake Lane is the highest point above sea level and therefore the air should be clearer and promote a healthier environment for the patients , that’s why they are all outside in the pictures .

Hi folks, I'm new here so please bear with me.

My sister and I are researching our mom's family history, and we are struggling. To start with, we are trying to find out which sanatorium/hospital our mom was in in her early 20s. She had TB and was in the sanatorium/hospital for two years. I'm going to upload the photos we have of our mom and her friends and nurses. It would be great if someone could tell us what the name of the hospital is, and even better if anyone else has connections to anyone - patient or nurse - that was there at the same time as our mom. Our mom was Margaret Rose Mason, born 1934. She had a best friend at the hospital called Bernadette. Any help would be gratefully received. Also, we know her father was a Frederick Charles Mason and her mother was Beatrice Maud Steel, and while we have some background on the Steels, we have nothing whatsoever on her father's family... so if there are any potential Mason's out there it would be good to hear from you. Attached photo is our mom, Margaret (left) with her best friend Bernadette (right).View attachment 172993
A bit clearer, John.

Attachments

• Bernadette and Margaret.jpg
    Bernadette and Margaret.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 19
Wow, that is clearer, thanks John.
I can confirm that it was Yardley Sanatorium. My Mum was there at the same time (between April and September 1957). As children we were not allowed to visit her during that time. She had TB of the kidneys,one of which was removed and the other partially removed . She was one of the first patients in Birmingham to receive a newly developed treatment, Streptomycin, an antibiotic that was the first drug to be used successfully against tuberculosis but is now used with other drugs because of its toxic side effects.
m_1957 Mom & Dolly -Yardley sanitorium - original.jpgm_1957 Yardley sanatorium.jpg
I have the same photo of Tommy Steele that you have posted (not the one being held up by the lady in the photo below. The guy with him on your photo is Mike Winters of the brothers Mike & Bernie Winters fame.

Last edited:
Back