• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

rubbish tip

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
hi,all back in the 50s we used to play on a rubbish tip,were now stands tilton rd estate,it was a very big tip we got to it from garrison lane.can any one else remember this dump?.
pete

hi ger22van.ta for reply,i dont remember bricksworks being there only old junk and old cars etc a kids kingdom,a place for dens,most of my spare
time was on there like stig of the dump.my ass was always ripped and cut.
but the treasure we found was worth it pete

The Baron. Check out bottom left had corner of the map. Sorry I'm with you now, the tip was one side of Garrison Lane and the Football ground was the other side. Nearer Cattel Road I think.
Pete. I remember some of the steel rails, and some of the old trucks they must have had to push about. Not sure of any overhead wires. The Dustcarts came in along one of those side Streets from Garrison Lane.

The tip in Garrison Lane was, where part of Wheels Go Cart Park is now. We used the tip quite a bit in the late sixties when it was reopened to be topped up. Tips sink after a while and have to be resurfaced. Plus I think the council wanted to hide what had been tipped there over the years.

You could get access from from off Garrison Lane at Venetia Rd, The tip was known as Venetia Rd tip. I think originally it was the old Adderley Park Brickworks and Quarry. You could also come on to the tip from Landor St opposite Adderley Rd.

Its no secret to the council what is buried there, so I think there is very little chance it will be built on in the near future

I think that the Birmingham City Grounds was also a quarry at one time, and like all holes in the ground was used as a tip at one time until it was filled, but that was before my time.

Phil

hello phill.i hate to think what is under that trading estate.as you say tips sink,time will tell
pete

anyone remember the big cliff that was there ? gradually with all the refuge that was dumped it became a small step. From Landor Street you would have to cross the railway lines by the signal box. It was horrible on a windy day when it blew through the wires on the poles. The kids around there used to swim starkers in the canal in the hot summers.

Pete. Apart from us kids there were "Tatters" that used to go over there and collect rags and scrap metal of any kind. We used to get chased off until the workmen had all finished for the day.

ger22van.ernie old cars that was dumped,it was so easy to get them running again if the engine was ok,and drive around with us hanging out and shouting.the cliff was a good slide,if you used a cooker lid for a sledge
pete

There were two tips and we always knew them as
"The Small Tip", which was at the back of the snooker hall and Elite Pics on Bordesley Green and "The Big Tip" Which we used to get to via a fence at the back of the \small tip, you could also get onto it from Bordesley green Road, opposite Holden,s Paints.
Anyone remember Wrights Ropes? It was at the bottom of thTip by Adderley Park Road.
This is a poem I wrote on the forum a long time back, it might stir one or two memories;)
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1286

anyone remember the big cliff that was there ? gradually with all the refuge that was dumped it became a small step. From Landor Street you would have to cross the railway lines by the signal box. It was horrible on a windy day when it blew through the wires on the poles. The kids around there used to swim starkers in the canal in the hot summers.
:):)
i,m with you on that one ger22van,that,s the way we used to go onto it
off landor st,we used to call it the brickies,as it was called if it can be found now. the signal box was called brickyard crossing,i had a BSA gold flash,
and we used to borrow an old ford Thames van and take the bike there,the bike was converted into a scrambler,we had many a happy blast up hill and down dale so to speak.
when we had as much dust and yakie tasting whatever we would go to the cricketers in small heath off grn lane, between wimbushes and the library and have a couple of brown and mild's. happy days. regards dereklcg

As someone has said, this area holds the Birmingham Wheels racing tracks. Much of the area is used as Birmingham City's paid car parking on match days, the only exit being on Landor Street opposite Adderley Road. This is great as you miss all the match traffic!

The Blues board stated a couple of years ago that £500k was being spent on testing the area's pollution with a view to building a new stadium there.

The Blues board stated a couple of years ago that £500k was being spent on testing the area's pollution with a view to building a new stadium there.

I don't think it will ever happen, I think development such as the Wheels Park will be fine, but if they start excavations for foundations they will stir up a hornets nest.

Phil

My first school was tilton road and i just about remember in the very early 60s a lot of travelers set up camp there. it was always a waste land whilst i was at the school and our road only went as far as the school but the tip was the only thing behind the school

There were two tips and we always knew them as
"The Small Tip", which was at the back of the snooker hall and Elite Pics on Bordesley Green and "The Big Tip" Which we used to get to via a fence at the back of the \small tip, you could also get onto it from Bordesley green Road, opposite Holden,s Paints.
Anyone remember Wrights Ropes? It was at the bottom of thTip by Adderley Park Road.
This is a poem I wrote on the forum a long time back, it might stir one or two memories;)
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1286[/quo

Jerry.
The only thing I remember about " Wrights Ropes " was big letters on a chimney stack that I think I seen from the bottom of Lawley Street near Garrison Lane.

I don't know much about Wright's Ropes but they had a pretty big factory in Garrison Street and the back of the factory faced onto the big tip. They did what it says on the tin!, wire and hemp ropes and they were involved with the laying of the second transatlantic wireless cable between Britain and America. They owned the patent for the insulation used on the cable.I think they had a Canadian subsidiary with the same name so they were a pretty big company at the time.

The old Wrights Ropes Factory ran from Lawley Street the whole length of Garrison street on one side and it was backed by the railway viaduct. It ran right up to Midland Street and the Queens Pub by the railway bridge. When Wrights closed it was taken over by the Land Rover Co and they used to make Land Rover seats and Land Rover canvas hoods there.

Phil

There was an anti aircraft gun battery on it during WW2 and we used to get spent .303 cartridge cases still in the machine guns belts ...........

Back