• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire 1/8 Battalion

Around Feb 1917 the Germans moved back to the Hindenburg Line and the 48th Division advanced as the Germans retreated. The 48th Div including the 1/5 Royal Warwicks were in the vicinity of Peronne to Epehy from March to April 1917.
During July 1917 the battalion moved up to Ypres and was involved in the battle of Passchendaele.
On 22 November 1917 the 48th Div left France on a five day train journey to Italy and saw service at the Asiago Plateau. The 1/5th remained in Italy until the end of the war.

Terry

Thanks for that Terry, I think that would account for the fact, as my mother said he was "gassed but would not say where and when" he made it home at the end of the war but died of lung disease due to the gassing.

This was my maternal granddad, Martin Brislin (lived at 49 Parliament St., Aston).
He, and at least one of his brothers were in WW1 and he was at The Somme. Invalided out - shellshock, shrapnel and foot rot (from what mom can remember), sadly ended his days at Highcroft in about '65 as the effects of the shellshock had stayed with him - I think got worse in the bombing raids in WW2.
I put a headshot of him on his medalcard.

mbmc2_zpsd2c4781d.jpg~original

I found this too -

BritishArmyWWIPensionRecords1914-1920RecordforMartinBrislin-1.jpg~original

Terry,

My uncle, Arthur John Beresford, was in the Territorial Army at the outbreak of WW1. He belonged, I think, to a company that paraded at the BSA, Small Heath. He transferred to the Machine Gun Corps on its formation. I am led to believe that he would have remained with his initial unit of the Royal Warwickshire Regt nevertheless. Sadly he was killed at Passchendale on 28th August 1917.

I wonder if you could dig up a little information re his service.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Last edited:
Hello Chris

Luckily your uncle's Service Papers are on Ancestry. However some pages are hard to understand due to the poor handwriting.

His mother and father were George and Emily. Two brothers George W and Herbert. Three sisters Elizabeth (Toronto Canada), Florrie and Doris. 44 Carlton Rd, Small Heath.

He enlisted into the Territorials for FOUR YEARS SERVICE on 5 July 1912 aged 17 years 7 months. He originally signed up for the 5th Royal Warwickshires at Thorp Street. Service number 1722.

He was a Junior Clerk at the BSA. He was 5ft 2inch tall and a chest of 34 inches.

Not long after he transferred to the 6th Royal Warwicks (also based at Thorp Street). Service number 1809.
'O' Company of the 6th Royal Warwicks comprised of BSA employees and that is why he transferred.
On the outbreak of WW1 he was mobilised and when the 6th RWR were at Billericay, Essex, he signed a form to say he was willing to serve overseas (TF was originally for Home Service only)
Sailed from Southampton 22 March 1915
Landed at Havre 23 March 1915

His Four Years Service expired on 7 August 1916 (Battle of the Somme period) but instead of going home which he could have done he resigned.
When the Machine Gun Corps was created (he must have been a machine gunner) he became part of the 143 Company Machine Gun Corps and his new service number was 23261.

He was killed on 28 August 1918 aged 22 and he is buried in Buffs Rd Cemetery, Belgium.

Terry

Attachments

• BSA O Company Roll of honour.jpg
    BSA O Company Roll of honour.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 24
Hi Terry,

I am extremely grateful for the information you are able to give me re my uncle Arthur John Beresford. Whilst I knew some of his history you have enabled me to put a little more flesh on the bones so to speak. For instance that he was a junior clerk at the BSA. I had assumed that he worked in the factory and went to work in his overalls as did his brothers Herbert (My Dad) and George. Thanks again.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

I would like to publicly thank Colin B. on here for all the help and information about my grandfather, (Martin - see above), that he has given me over the last few days via pm and e-mail.
I am sorry if I posted on a thread that was about someone else - I saw the title of the thread - 'Royal Warwickshire Regiment' and thought it was a general one, but since I posted I have noticed there are more.
Anyway, thank you Colin, you have re-awoken a concern in me to fill in gaps and get more accurate information about Martin, mainly for my lovely mom, but also, now, because I feel I know him, although we only 'met' once, as I, and mom worked memories out, which may have been when I was only about 3, (that would be '62-'63), and in a pushchair, and I have a vague memory of being wheeled to meet someone who may have been in a wheelchair, and it was in the grounds of Highcroft at what is confirmed by mom (some years back when she could remember more), was a Garden fete type thing - and my dad was in St. John Ambulance Brigade uniform, (as he often was at city events back then).

I feel sad, especially as I read some of the things discovered on the records that Colin kindly provided me with, that I never knew Martin - when I read some things in his own writing, and realised what he must have gone through (speech impediment - extreme poverty in family), it makes me so sad.
But, he gave me my lovely mom - the most unselfish person I have ever known - so he must have had some good in him - but what they suffered in those trenches, and with the marching - and I am sure he must have been teased about his speech, by other soldiers - there just wasn't the help and understanding that there is now e.g. his first army discharge in late 1914 coincides with the death of his father, yet that is never mentioned as reason, but it must have been connected in some way.

My daughter said, just this afternoon, that he looks nice, kind, and I think so too.

Martin Brislin.jpg

what a good idea to put a photo of your grandad on his medal carl maz beth...so pleased that you have found out more about him...

lyn

Thanks Maz, Glad to have been of help, it was an interesting search, when Maz posted the images (post #21) I thought it may be two different soldiers, the medal card is for a Pte M. Brislin 201477, Royal Warwickshire Regt and the Service record for 83964, Royal Field Artillery, luckily records for both survived and are available on Ancestry, and both are Maz's grand father, confirmed by address and parent details
He enlisted in the RFA August 1914 and was medically discharged November 1914 and then twelve months later November 1915 was enlisted in the RWR, he was again discharged in February 1919 again on medical grounds.
With 22 pages this is the most complete set of records I have seen, Maz was lucky for both records to have survived as over 60% of WW1 records were destroyed in a bombing raid during WW2.

Colin

Hi Terry, how do I find my Granddad Frederick Coates born 1888 ww1 record. you seem to know how this works, thanks.

Vince,l believe your granddad Frederick Coates b1888 was my g/fathers William c Coates brother.. the coates all lived in Church Lane Aston..your g/father also had another brother Daniel...Brenda

Vince

Have you any idea of which battalion/Regiment Frederick Coates served in? also do you know his service number or do you have any of his medals

Terry

hi terry ive replied to vince on another thread...i found frederick coates military record on fmp...he joined in 1904 service no 7062 royal worc regiment...on one of the pages it looks like it says he joined the fusiliers in 1905...i cant find any ww1 records for him but im not as good as you at this...

lyn

Hi Terry, do you have anything on my Uncle Fredrick Newman Number 4418 Warwickshire Regiment, I believe he was killed on the Somme.
TIA
Nick

Thanks Benda, do you know if the brothers stayed in touch, they had two sisters and a step brother also. I never new my granddad so I am trying to learn about him. I did hear my g/granddad Daniel died (35) aboard a ship going to America. I Have a photo of g/grandma Fanny Coates (Beecroft) later remarried Henry Bird.

I found a Frederick Coates living at 54 Church Street, Aston, in the 1919 Absent Voters List. He was serving in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers service number 8910. There is a Medal Index Card for him. He went to France with the 2nd Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers on 1 September 1914.

In the National Roll of the Great War (Birmingham) there is an entry for F Coates a Sgt in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers a reservist who was called up on the outbreak of war and he served throughout WW1. This F Coates lived at Angelina Street, Highgate.

Terry

Hi Terry, do you have anything on my Uncle Fredrick Newman Number 4418 Warwickshire Regiment, I believe he was killed on the Somme.
TIA
Nick

Hi Nick

Correct! Pte Frederick Newman 4418 1/6th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment was killed in action on 1 July 1916 and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial

Terry

Hi
Because of the destroyed records, I have never been able to find any record of my grandfather who served in the RWR and was gassed (or suffered as a result of a gas attack) during WW1. His name was John Davis, he lived in Harborne (Greys Road) and was born188? Can you offer any help from what seems to be an excellent record system
Bob Davis

thank you terry, it is the same fred coates, my dad told me he lived at Highgate before moving to Deykin Avenue after getting married in 1919.

I posted a query about my grandfather John Davis who was in the RWR in WW1. I have traced a set of John Davis's thro' Ancestry, but there is no way I have of seeing if any of them are my grandfather. Their regt numbers are1341, 2582, 3369, 3519, 3766, 15434 and 305260. John was married in 1908, lived in Harborne and was married to Elsie. From this can anyone help identify granddad, although he was gassed, I never could find out if he was invalided out or not. He made an embroidered picture of the regimental badge. He signed it vGunner Davis J No 59310 I have tried to trace this on ancestry. Can any one help?
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi

Terry. If you could would you be able to look into an Alfred James Jeavons. (24804) from Kates Hill, Dudley.

The medal roll shows he started off with the 2nd Royal Warwicks, then the 2/7th before ending up with the 1st. I dont know when he joined up? I dont have any service records.

I know he died 30th Aug 1918 (CWGC).

Any more info re his service etc would be great!

Thanks for your time,

Paul

Back