• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Jubilees - Birmingham celebrations

willow40

proper brummie kid
Hope someone might remember but has anyone memories of a party on West Boulevard, Quinton. there was fancy dress an games an a real party get together, it was when there was only one road going up an we had the party on the grass verge, The Monarch Pub was on the top of the road .

In the UK, we embrace our freedom and civil liberties. Yet the last unrestricted street party allowed in Birmingham was the 1977 Silver Jubilee celebrations - unless you live in a Grove/cul-de-sac and can bear the health & safety reg and policing costs!

Came across some pics I took at the time. These are a sample..

The larger houses in Stechford - Albert/Frederick and Mary roads had attracted many commonwealth immigrants. Residents of all creeds joined together in the celebrations with fancy dress and a steel band that toured the area ...

BG042-LR.jpg

Residents of Pretoria Road, Bordesley Green unite for the day's entertainment and celebrations ...

BG027-LR.jpg

No apparent outdoor party for the folks of Cherrywood Road. But a children's party was held in the Motor Components canteen - and the Country Girl, Why Not, Gipsy's Tent and Coach & Horses pubs were busy that day... :-)

BG039-LR.jpg

I still have a special coin that all the kids at our street party were given,got some photos too,will dig them out....

Me and the gang in Blackpool 1977. That's me, the good looking one with the beard at the back with me wife Cathy, who I went on to marry 2 years later.
I forget what pub it was, we went to so many that day.

Hey Froth who's the good looking one with the beard at the back, I reckon that lovely lady has designs on you

Last edited:
We had a street party in my road in Shirley.
In 81 for the royal wedding we just had a barbecue in a local garden.

Nice to see the adonis behind the name,Frothblower,Blackpool must have been fun.

Back