• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rowe George

JoanH

knowlegable brummie
:redface: Hi all you intelligent Brummies, my cousin and I have been searching for George Rowe from Winchester, date early 1800.
If anyone could help we would be so very grateful.
As we have been looking for George for 20years a few more weeks
wouldnt hurt!!!:rolleyes: JoanH

Re: George Rowe

The only one a census search turns up is George Edmund Rowe b. c. 1851. Winchester.
In 1851 he is in Portsmouth,
in 1861 he is in Leicester
and in 1871 he is in Salford, Lancashire
he is the son of James Frederick Lowe and Isabella Letitia Lowe but I cannot trace their marriage, or George's birth, in BMD lists.

The address in 1851 is in barracks and James Frederick called Frederick is a corporal.
James Frederick Rowe married Isabella Crofton 21st October 1847 Barbados.
1851 shows their first son James being born 1849 British North America.
Perhaps George was born at sea,his birth is recorded on parish record as 16th Jan 1851 and he was christened at St Thomas Winchester on 26th Jan 1851.
James Frederick b.c.1824 Devon
Isabella born 1822 Roscommon Ireand

On the 1861 census James is an army pensioner and they have ,as well as George,
William Henry b 1855 Manchester
Walter Lacy b. 1857 Leics
Harry born 1860 Leics.

It would appear that James had a deal of respect for his commanding officer in the Army because his name in 1851 was Lt. Colonel Lacy Walter Yeo.

Last edited:

:grinsmile:Hi to both Lloyd and Alberta, both were so quick to answer my query on George Rowe.
I will contact my cousin to ensure there is a link.

Many thanks :D JoanH

:redface: Hello Alberta, as usual this very dumb ex-brummie didnt go far enough back with the date for George Rowe. After conferring with my cousin, she thinks its nearer 1800 and not Winchesterr but Stockbridge (whereever that is) so I do apologise for time wasting.
But should you come across any information for around the 1800 I would truly be grateful;)JoanH

There are a few George Rowe b Stockbridge entries, it must be a local name.
1861 census has one, born c 1798, age 63, wife Mary age 50, children Alfred 14,
Allan 13,
Emily 5.
Another daughter Anne Philips 26, and her daughter Alice 8mths.
Address is just 'High Street' (Stockbridge).

1851 census has the same family, but more children:
George 51 (puts the birth closer to 1800)
Mary Ann 41
Frances 19
George 15
Elizabeth 10
Arthur 8
Herbert 6
Alfred 4
Allen 3
Once again address is 'High Street' and (as 1861) George snr is a 'Baker and Grocer'

There is a George Rowe death registered in Stockbridge aged 77 in 1872. May be the same man - or not!

:) Hello Llyod, thank you so much for the information you so kindly looked up, you certainly know the business. I forwarded it all onto my cousin in Kent who has been searching for 20 years, and it certainly lookes
like a hit:D
However, I do wonder how you managed to track down people out of the blue, as you have probably seen on the Forum I ve been chasing Lilian Maud Hunt born 1882 since the beginning of my search for family members. As I ha ve only been at it 2 years I ve not done too bad:rolleyes: but seem to have more luck going backwards.
I had thought the 1911 Census would have helped me but on sending for two marriage certs for 1905 which a kind member of B.ham gave me, Im back to square once again. Apart from BMD can you suggest anywhere else I could start searching?:redface:.
It would be so nice to put closure to the Hunt Family once and for all.
Thank you once again Lloyd.

JoanH

Hi Joan, I use FreeBMD (https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl), Ancestry.co.uk [for all census except 1911, WW1 military records, phone books etc] (https://www.ancestry.co.uk), 1911 census (https://www.1911census.co.uk), and for Birmingham addresses the online electoral roll (https://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/index.html) with (if necessary) things like passenger lists (https://www.findmypast.com/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action) as extras.
I've been tracing my own tree for several years now, with online help for about 4 years, as well as other trees for friends and colleagues and others for people whose working life history I am researching.
Practise may not make perfect, but it makes things a lot easier to know (or best-guess!) where to look. I've found the more you do the easier it gets!

Re: George Rowe and Hunt

Hello Lloyd, thank you so much for the instant reply and information you have given me. Perhaps now I will be able to solve a few mysteries:rolleyes:.
No doubt you have realised not all Brummies are clever, perhaps its the past years drinking Scrumpy that has addled the little Grey Cells.;). Now Ive put a stop to all that and attempting to trace rellies Im hoping what you have passed on to me will be my saviour:cool:

Cheers Friend
JoanH

Re: George Rowe & Dreaded Hunts

Hello Lloyd, thank you so much for your encouragement and the addresses you forwarded for me. I have tried Find My Past which I believe is affiliated to 1911 and do have small credit on there. Trouble was I waited over 10 mins for the green block to fill up, got very frustrated:redface: as usual.
I did notice on one site I looked at that Lilian may have gone to Utah in America, but stupid me cant remember, even though I make notes!!!!!
Im afraid to have to admit to being very THICK and this Lilian has really got me down. With her family I went back to 1615 but do you think I can find her NO. Apart from the elusive Hunt Im also tracing Adderleys and Griffiths, even though there was no marriages between those families I did find they lived next door to one another in the back to back houses in Lower Hurst Street, so did the Hunts, what a strange world eh. When you are trailing through your searches keep you eye open incase you should come across Lilian:shh: I have been in contact with the Geneolgy Dept of B.ham and am awaiting information from them. Lilians child born 1901 was placed in the Aston Workhouse!!!!!:( Also two uncles who attended Christchurch School on Stratford Road Sparkbrook, one of them William Griffiths was in the Juniors when I was in the Infant Class. We seem to have lost track of them since their mother died in 1946. As with loads of families there seems to be fallouts at deaths and marriages.
Perhaps Lloyd you will now understand why I am always asking for help!!!:redface: JoanH

Back