• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rookery Road William Murdock Schools Handsworth

• Thread starter Thread starter Premo
  • Start date Start date
Hi I’m not on this photo so can’t give you much information, I think it’s about 1960/61. The only faces I recognise are Melvyn Spalding, front row sitting to right of the teacher on photo, and Malcom Knight, 2nd row, 2nd from right.

Attachments

• IMG_6333.jpeg
    IMG_6333.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 12
Attached is a photo that I think many people have been looking for. I am third from the left on the front row (seated)
Phill (Phillip Cox) I was friends in particular with David Taylor, David Jones, Jeffrey Hoey and Brian Kirby. I think you have to click on
the photo to get the full width of the image.

Attachments

• School Photograph.jpg
    School Photograph.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 18
Hi PFC , I was at William Murdock from 62’ and 66’, I noticed from the group photo and names mentioned the name Brian Kirby , there was a John Kirby in my class and he did indeed have an older brother Brian . I would be very interested to know if John is still in contact with anyone

Re: Rookery rd School, Photos Please

Hi Ron,
I was at Rookery Road School from 1955 to 1958 Mr millington was the headmaster and there was a Mr Jones (I think who read to us Edgar Alan Poe). do you know the significance of the Shackleton or Scott Photos in Mr millington's office?
Regards
Roger Onions
I know this thread is from a long time ago but in Handsworth Historical Society's papers is a 2002 'interview' with a lady who lived at one of the four Vine Cottages, which stood next to St Andrew's Church Hall on Church Lane. She mentioned two adjacent larger houses with tree-lined drives, one of which 'which was frequently visited by the famous explorer, Captain Robert Falcon Scott, who had relatives living there'. Perhaps the relatives had a child who went to Rookery Road School and the school became interested in their ill-fated expedition as a result?

I know this thread is from a long time ago but in Handsworth Historical Society's papers is a 2002 'interview' with a lady who lived at one of the four Vine Cottages, which stood next to St Andrew's Church Hall on Church Lane. She mentioned two adjacent larger houses with tree-lined drives, one of which 'which was frequently visited by the famous explorer, Captain Robert Falcon Scott, who had relatives living there'. Perhaps the relatives had a child who went to Rookery Road School and the school became interested in their ill-fated expedition as a result?
I went to Rookery Rd, William Murdoch from 55 to 59. HM Mr. Millington then Mr. Griffiths. I think the pictures that are being discussed are those of Captain Oats (that might be the tie to the school). Capt. Oates was a part of the Scott expedition, and it was he, Captain Oates who walked to his death into the storm to save the other remaining members of the expedition. Hope that helps..........

Thank you Richard Dye, I'm aware of the alleged Captain Oates connection with the school, and the plaque in the floor of the school hall (don't know if it's still there), but as it's all linked with the expedition, the Scott link with a local family is also a possibility.

Thank you Richard Dye, I'm aware of the alleged Captain Oates connection with the school, and the plaque in the floor of the school hall (don't know if it's still there), but as it's all linked with the expedition, the Scott link with a local family is also a possibility.
I know nothing about the Scott link to a local family, sorry!

Hi just wondering if any old school friends from William Murdock School’62 to ‘66 are out there, John Kirby, Micky Browne, Rolsten Kerr, Clive Forsyth, Chris Bilboe

Last edited:
Back