• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Robin hood island strat road

Thank you Ann for that. I am glad that I'm not alone in my beliefs. We have no one there either. But strangely enough where I lived at the bottom of Warstone Lane, the butcher shop where my dad worked has not been pulled down and is now some sort of gallery, and the street I lived in looks just the same other than the houses have gone and no new ones built. Bulpitt's is still standing, where I worked, so we usually just drive around there and have a quick look, and sadly move on, it is not my Brum anymore. The Bull ring is absolutely awful, we have only been in once and that was enough for us. So you are thinking of moving on again then?

Maggs

So I shall leave it with my memories then. Ann

Well said Ann and I agree with everything you say. I feel very lucky that I moved out at a time, 42 years ago, when there was still a bit of old Brum left over and Ladypool Road hadn't yet heard of 'a Balti triangle'. I love my memories of Brum but I've always said that moving here was the best thing that I ever did with my life.

Graham.

I also said similar Cadeau, and I wouldn't want to go back. I left about 37 yrs ago, when it was still OK too.

Maggs

Although I know I won't miss anything when we leave, and I bet you Maggs and Graham feel the same, I shall always be proud to be a Brummie.

Ann

Absolutely and definitely Ann. Once a Brummie always a Brummie I say. This is what is so nice about having this Forum, we all seem to have the same memories, and mostly they are good, however scruffy the old street's may have been, they had a warmth that has gone forever, and will certainly never return.

I shall always be proud to be a Brummie.

Indeed Ann and everywhere I go in the world I proudly make a point of telling everyone, if they can't place my accent
icon10.gif
, that "I'm a Brummie".

Graham.

Maggs, Ann and Cadeau, I too have very happy memories of living in Hall Green - 44 years and bringing the children up in such nice surroundings - River Cole and Dingles were just over the road. I have travelled along the road where I lived and up Robin Hood Lane, courtesy of Google Maps, and was able to see the house I used to live in and how neighbours have improved their propeties. Very satisfying, especially since I am miles away in Devon. One place I miss very much though, is the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery where I spent many happy hours. I am keeping Brum in my mind and heart as I knew it and haven't been back since I left there 12 years ago. But once a Brummie always a Brummie! Anthea.

I also spent many hours in the Art Gallery. I never tired of it. I wonder what it is like in there now.

Maggs

I also spent many hours in the Art Gallery. I never tired of it. I wonder what it is like in there now.

Maggs

Maggs, in my younger days spent many an hour in there too and about 5 years ago paid another visit. On this last visit I was appalled by the dismalness and lack of upkeep not at all in line with today’s standards. I should have cherished my old memories and won't be back again.

Graham.

Oh Graham what a disappointment. I am not shocked though. It seems there is a lot of neglect of things that mattered. My returns to Brum get more and more of a let down. Let's keep our wonderful memories, and thank heavens they can't take and destroy those.

Maggs

As well as St. George's Day, perhaps we should also have a 'Proud to be a Brummie Day'.
Maggs we went to Mappleborough Green last night. Just happened that my husband chose the route to Hockley Heath that passes The Drum and Monkey. I know I said there had been a lot of building in that area, but looking at it last night, I don't think it has changed much by The Drum and Monkey. I would say they have built a small extension on. I'll take my camera next time.
Next time I'm in Brum, I'll check out the Art Gallery as well. I believe they have made some improvements.

Ann

Thank you very much Ann, that would be lovely. Was there a lane around the area called 'Dog Kennel Lane'? Cadeau has just said the last time he went to the Art Gallery it was a big disappointment.

Maggs

There's a Dog Kennel Lane off the Stratford Rd., a little closer to Shirley.
I've had various Arts leaflets from the council, including one that covers events at the Art Gallery. And I usually park in Newhall Street, when I go into Brum, so I will have a look in at the Gallery.
I could have cursed that I hadn't got my camera last night.
Ann

Ann, thank you for that. We always park in Charlotte St, I am probably repeating myself here, and we come to Brum on a Sunday.

Maggs

The times I say that about my camera Ann. but my husband always say's 'I'm not going to carry that all day'

Sorry Maggs, I'd popped into The Snug. I think I've parked in Charlotte Street as well. Should just leave the camera in the glove compartment!
Ann

That's what I say Ann, and then he say's yes and when you want it , it will be in the car...can't win with a man can you? We met up with some Forum friends last week, and did I remember the camera nooooooo!

I know! Really could have done with the camera last night, also because of the lamb I've mentioned in the snug. I took a pic on the camera phone, but I can't do anything with that. Hey ho. Ann

Great picture Astoness. slightly more traffic going round the island these days. Anthea, the old police station has changed hands many times it is currently a chinese restaurant.

Maggs, Ann and Cadeau, I too have very happy memories of living in Hall Green - 44 years and bringing the children up in such nice surroundings - River Cole and Dingles were just over the road. I have travelled along the road where I lived and up Robin Hood Lane, courtesy of Google Maps, and was able to see the house I used to live in and how neighbours have improved their propeties. Very satisfying, especially since I am miles away in Devon. One place I miss very much though, is the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery where I spent many happy hours. I am keeping Brum in my mind and heart as I knew it and haven't been back since I left there 12 years ago. But once a Brummie always a Brummie! Anthea.
anthea, still did a bit of scrumping at colonel walkers on the fox hollies road, all flats there now and the fox hollies pub is a supermarket,,my two sisters helen and louise and their families all moved to devon(Brixham)so i know paignton very well. my sister lived in the bungalow next to the swimming pool by brixham rugby club...her husband still lives there but sadly she has passed on.. regards chinny chinn

chinny chin, I remember Fox Hollies Road well, a cousin lived there. My son will be shocked to learn the Fox Hollies Pub is now a supermarket !!! As I mentioned before, Hall Green was a lovely place for the kids to grow up in. In the 70's we spent holidays in this part of Devon and decided on retirement to move here by the sea. Regards, Anthea.

i used to collect donations for kids in need from the robin hood pub from a woman called mary christmas.:grinning:

Back