• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Roast chestnut vendor !!

Certainly there was one in Stephenson Street and I also think in the Bull Ring. Such an aroma which you cannot replicate with any oven

I can certainly remember a hot potato vender at the bottom of the New Street Station ramp in the 1960's, I'm sure he also sold roast chestnuts from a little tray. Spent many a Saturday night after a Jazz Club or Dance Hall munching on a hot potato with butter and salt wondering how I was going to get home to Sutton Coldfield. The last vendor I saw was at Christmas time in Lichfield City Centre with my family but that would have been around 2002. Still remember cooking my own in the November Bonfire, happy memories.
Regards,Mike

There was this baked potatoes vendor in Stephenson Place in the 1970s. No mention of roast chestnuts on his cart.
BakedPotatoes1970.JPG

Last edited:
Back