• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Roadleys

Sue keen

Does anyone remember Roadleys, they had several shops in the Birmingham area during the early 1900s until the late 60s/ early 70s

In 1939 advert for Stocks of Baby cars, John Roadley and Sons

143 Corporation Street
296-8 Stratford Road
367 Coventry Road
168 Great Lister Street
71 Lowell’s Road
20-22 Cape Hill

Hi Sue, were they a newsagent?
No, they sold prams, cots and kids bikes and toys. The company was originally started by my husbands great grandfather, who mended mangles and also invented a an tonic called miriam oils, and had a finger in many things. It was then passed on to my husbands grandfather who actually made his fortune in the klondike selling equipment and mules to the gold prospectors.
I know they had a shop on the Stratford Road and in cheapside,there was another shop but I can't remember where that was.

i am moving this thread from neighbours and streets to the correct section of the forum (shops)

I remember the Cape Hill one, such lovely prams! The building is still there but I don't know what it is now.
rosie.

Was there a Roadley's toy shop on Station Road, Erdington?
That would make sense...ive just taken down an old monopoly set my uncle gave me...they lived in Paget Road,Pype Hayes.The board has a Roadleys sticker on the front which is how i came to this forum,wondering what/who Roadleys were

Welcome, Watty, and we hope you become a regular. The Search engine is on the top right hand of every page and if you really get stuck, just post a help message!

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
Back