• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Road name signs

There are many of the older street signs that do not have the postal district, I can only assume that postal districts were not in use when the signs were made.

silver_stsign.jpg

Alcester_rd_sign.jpg

Colin

Last edited:
There are many of the older street signs that do not have the postal district, I can only assume that postal districts were not in use when the signs were made.

Colin

Generally that is the case, most of the plates in the 'pressed aluminium' style have them though.
Many now have the postal district number painted out, particularly where it does not correspond with the present day postcode zone number.

BirdbrookRoadSigns.jpg

I went down Colleridge Passage and Steelhouse Lane today. They both have road signs with out the postcode number on them.

It seems such a shame to me that so many of the street signs have been replaced with new ones. Can anyone tell me what has happened to the old cast iron roadsigns. Are they destroyed, stored somewhere or are they available to be purchased? I would love to buy one. I really hope someone can inform me,thanks, in anticipation.
17Aug03 Bham 002.jpg

Hi Huntley
Speaking of old Birmingham streets for color ting them the further you go back in time the more valuable they are
Plus they go into the archives museum of the city I think doubt whether you buy them thou
Looking over the years gone bye a good one would be 1882
Called Bank Alley,city
Which was named after the original bank,The bank of Lloyd ,s. On the edge of High street and dale end, this alley went to moor street
And was demolished in 1882 these would have been the gems to purchase Astonian,,,,,

Some old road and street name signs are in need of a bit of TLC as they start to show signs of decay. Here are two - so sad to see these old signs in this state as I'm sure they could be rescued. Viv.

image.jpegimage.jpg

I did one in Brighton, attached to our pub, JUBILEE STREET, I did the letters in gold leaf, expecting a big backlash off the council, never heard a thing, and that was 15 years ago.

Back