• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

River St/fazeley St Corner

verysmallanimal

Hi

Does anyone know the history of this building on the corner of River St and Fazeley St in Digbeth

I believe there was a Tin Metal works on this site in the past, but I don't know if it was this building. Any info you have would be appreciated.

Thank You

Attachments

• 2014-11-02 13.12.45.jpg
    2014-11-02 13.12.45.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 73
In 1940 it may have been 195 City Rolling Mills Ltd Rolled Metal mfrs, and or Unitarian Mission Church I am not certain if the church was next door or over the road?

The large scale map of the area prepared in the mid 1880s shows the building as a tinplate works. From 1880 it was occupied by Charles Wall & sons , who were listed as iron plate manufacturers. Before that it was occupied by Joseph Holder, iron founders. I cannot find mention in Kellys of Wall as a tinplate manufacturer, but he may well have done this as part of his business, or possibly supplied iron plates to others for tinning. Certainly the maps showing the factory seem to indicate that the buildings facing Fazeley St and River st were not rebuilt in the period up till the 1930s, and the building shown in your picture would look to me as if it was built in the 1860s or 1870s. Do you want to know any earlier or later occupants of the site other than the two i have mentioned?

Hi All

Thank you so much for the replies and for the amazing info mikejee. For the current building do you think Charles Wall & Sons would have been the original business at the building - or at that time would 10-20 years in one premises be unusual?

On another note, I currently have business based over the road at Minerva Works. I know it was a premises for the manufacture of Agricultural Implements, but it would be interesting to get a company name.

There is a great aerial photo here https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw010044 if you log in you can zoom in to see a lot of detail, including the day boats being loaded in the wharf where the cement yard now stands. I have added some tags for the buildings I know about and canal sites. If anyone is interested, when the current owners of this site wanted to remove a section of wall facing the canal they had to get an archaeological survey done. If anyone would like to see a copy I can did it out.

Firms could be on the same site or in the same building for 40 years or, if they went bust or had to expand quickly, 2 or 3 years. for a succesful firm 10-20 would not be unusual provided space for development was available. the older part of the building I was referring to could well have been built a bit before 1860.
With regard to the Minerva Works. From the road it looks as if only none of the original works exists. this is on the c1889 map (below). Because that part of the road is not numbered properly I am not certain as to the purpose of the original works, but think it may have been Walter Adams Lyndon, an edge tool manufacturer. There is another thread on the forum, though some of the maps/illustrations have been lost (see note at beginning of forum) which states that the agricultural tool manufacturer was William Grice & Sons (https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/images2/userpics/10011/map_c_1889_minerva_works_fazeley_st.jpg )

map_c_1889_minerva_works_fazeley_st.jpg

l

The image I believe was actually the works of Charles Wall, later Walls Ltd, Crown Galvanising Works, which engaged in galvanising and tinplate trades for many years on this same site. Placed on the corner of River Street and Fazeley Street and also alongside the River Rea, the site was first established with the filling in of Heath Mill Pool. The filling in of that pool enabled the industrial development on property bounded by Fazeley Street, River Street and Floodgate Street

Back