• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ridley Iris / Iris Sadler - Great Russell Street/Summer Lane area

GemmaF

Brummie babby
Hello,

I'm trying to locate a lady called Iris Ridley (maiden name) who I believe was born in 1932 and married around 1952 (I think her surname then became Sadler and I believe she had a son during this marraige).

Iris was friends with my nan (Joan Barnsley) and I'm trying to locate her as my nan still talks about her a lot so I'd like to reunite them if possible now they are in their 80th year.

I believe that Iris's father was in the Army during the war. Iris and my nan lived in Great Russell Street/Summer Lane area.

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it as initial enquiries haven't been too fruitful.

Many thanks,

Gemma

Re: Iris Ridley (maiden name) / Iris Sadler - Great Russell Street/Summer Lane area

Iris M Saddler married to Gerald J Sadler in 1952 in Birmingham and had a son Gerald in 1953 and in 1955 they lived at 2 back 192 Aston Brook Street

Re: Iris Ridley (maiden name) / Iris Sadler - Great Russell Street/Summer Lane area

Yes that's the Iris I'm after!!! My nan lived at 5 at the back of 42 Great Russell Street when they were at school together. Do you know Iris???

Gemma

No deaths registered in that name in England and Wales between 1955 and 2006, so there's a fair chance that she is still about.

There's an Iris M Sadler (aged 65+) living in the West Midlands on https://www.192.com but you will have to pay for the full address. I'm afraid that that is the best we can do.

Maurice :cool:

Hello Maurice,

Thank you for your help - I checked 192.com and wrote to two Iris M Sadlers - one in Coventry (the West Mids lady you refer to) and one in Worcs. Unfortunately they were not the Iris I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

Gemma

I wonder if they got divorced in the late 50's as a Gerald J Sadler married in got married in Birmingham in 1958 and an Iris M Sadler to a Raymond F Horton in 1960 . Seems unlikely to me

Hi Gemma

Just a thought, but I wonder if Iris married again?

I will IM you details as it may be worth considering.

Suzanne

Gemma,

The 1960 marriage was to a Raymond F. HORTON 1st Qtr 1960 Birmingham Vol 9c Page 843. Again no death listed up to 2006. And this couple are still on 192.com. CORRECTION: They were until 2002/3

Maurice :cool:

I've got the address for Iris and Raymond but didn't know if it would be my Iris - would she have been able to get married under her previous married name of Sadler? I'll check it out anyway. Thanks for your help - it's been driving me crazy!!

A woman uses the last name she was known by not her maiden name on a marriage certificate.

Just to let you all know that I contacted Iris and Raymond Horton and it is the Iris I've been looking for! Iris called me tonight and I surprised my nan with the news. They've since spoken and are going to chat soon and arrange to meet up. Both were stunned but very happy to have found each other after 60 years. Thank you for your help!!

Wonderful news Gem:)

Suzanne

Thats great news I always love a happy ending well done all who helped.

Back