• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Restaurant Names

steveswoop

Can anyone remember the names of the (up market) Spanish restaurant in either Cornwall or Edmund Street and the 'Berni' inn in Edmund Street around the 1970/80's period?

I believe that the Spanish restaurant was Lopez. A lovely intimate place run by a Spanish family. They were forced out of business by their landlord increasing the rent astronomically. My wife and I dined there whenever finances would allow.

I believe that the Spanish restaurant was Lopez. A lovely intimate place run by a Spanish family. They were forced out of business by their landlord increasing the rent astronomically. My wife and I dined there whenever finances would allow.

Thanks for that. Yes we were very much the same. When I used to get Luncheon Vouchers as part of my salary we used to go to the White Swan (Berni Inn) and then as I got paid a little more and the LV's stopped we treated ourselves to Lopez. I seem to remember it being a quality restaurant. I had completely forgotten the name so thanks for letting me know.

I'm fairly certain that Lopez was owned by John Lopez who had been the manager of Snobs from the time it opened in 1972, until around the end of 1980 when he left to open his own restaurant.

Back