• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

redevopement plans for duddeston and nechells

Very interesting post Lyn Although I suspect his ideas were earlier than 1955 as the bottom half of Gt Francis St had gone by 1952-53 Melvina Rd had been cut and the flats had been built never the less that looks an extremely interesting layout. Dek

The blocks had no less then seven staircases, one front and rear for general access, and then five emergency staircases, one on each corner and one in the centre.

They must have cost a small fortune to build and would have cost more had the architect’s original dream come to fruition: I found some of the original plans for these blocks, which included a communal laundry, a theatre, communal metal and woodworking shops, bike storage and a whole host of other goodies.

This seems to under pin the comments I made about the block built in 1954, the development seem to try to incorporate a whole community with homes and places to work.

This seems to under pin the comments I made about the block built in 1954, the development seem to try to incorporate a whole community with homes and places to work.
Morturn As in post*4 I make a comment that puts yours back in prospective.Dek

Back