• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Record shops in Bham

Spring Hill is where I bought mine. 6/6d for the latest Elvis etc.EP's were kept for birthday presents. Can't remember the name of the shop though.

our local record shop was in Gooch st cant remember the name,
but i do remember every week buying the record song book it had the words
to the top ten in it and snippets of info about the singers and of course pictures
tu put on the wall great mag anybody remember it. liz

The discery is at near the bottom of Bristol Road coming out of town its on the left,
on the corner near what used to be Bristol Sreet motors.they still deal in searching
out obscure records,i was trying to remember the name of the other St, maybe Thorpe
St,it will undoubtedly come to me as soon as i finish liz

I dont know the shops name,but the shop i used to buy my records from was half way up Wheeler Street left hand side going towards Lozells.
Moss.

Can't remember the name of the record store but it was under Lewis's it may even have belonged to the store but every Saturday I'd get the bus into brum, have a knickerbockerglory in the cafe under Lewis's, nip into the record store, buy the latest hits then bus home to annoy my folks by playing them too loud and too often.

I think it did belong to Lewis's, used that myself also.

I bought records from Lewis's but mainly from John Frost in Sutton.

l bought my first single from a record shop that was on the coventry road opposite the bus garage next door was a funeral parlor and on the other side was a cafe run by a couple called Lou and Josh they were west indian and my mom was a good friend with lou , later on l bought my records from Bailey's in the bullring and don christie , back on the cov rd was another record shop l used not far from Maturi's and there was a cafe a few doors away we used as well , l remember the reggae record Guilty by Tiger had just come out and a mate asked me to ask for the record chirpy cheep cheep for him , no way l told him , bl@%dy got to number 1 . good one this old record shop thread , still got all my old singles and still collect them ,

Does anyone remember the small record shop in Church road Yardley just below the old Hardings Bakery around the early 60s

I used to be in there nearly every week,if I remember right it was run by a youngish man .
And what about Stephens in Green Lane I used that a lot also mainly because I fancied the girl behind the counter.

I used to work in Inferno Records and Incredible records. One was near the ramp up to Oasis and the other was on the road up from Lewis's. It was a great job for a sixteen year old. I got backstage passes for all the gigs at the Odeon and, when I was at Incredible (less busy) I could just play my favourite records all day. I gave it up to go back and do my A levels and become a teacher. Now my students don't even know what I'm on about when I talk about 12 inch versions!!! Karenanne

Just for interest Dave Reddington will be on with Doolan tomorrow (Friday)

Talking of records who had a dansette record player,i remember Saturday mornings we used to play glad all over Dave Clark five,and our friends next door used to put it on as well made quite a racket why Saturday morning (dads were out at work moms shopping)
Liz

Talking of records who had a dansette record player,i remember Saturday mornings we used to play glad all over Dave Clark five,and our friends next door used to put it on as well made quite a racket why Saturday morning (dads were out at work moms shopping)
Liz

Cop this then.....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL9OpixKcu8&feature=related"]YouTube- The Dave Clark Five - Glad All Over[/ame]

My Very first record player it was blue and white and i remember wiring up an extra speaker thinking it would come out in stereo. We had so much to learn
icon10.gif

Istill have my dansette dont have the heart to throw it out and it still works,my mom
bought it for us, out of a catologue.what with next door playing at the same time we
had stereo.it was who could make the most noise with the (bumbum) glad all over.
u tube is brilliant isn't it.
What was number one in 1956 Johnny Rea. title was on the tip of my tongue and the more i think the further away it goes,i have to come back with that,liz

I forgot to put on this day he was number one thats why i mentioned it hehe liz

I think he had another one after that ,i think it was called (Crying over you)
not that sure though.Dek
Hi i'm not sure there was one called cry,(if your sweetheart sends a letter) but he made loads i just remember my aunties and mom liked his songs,liz

hello Elizabeth, excuse my formality but i think the record shop in Gooch st was called greene's, i used it myself a few times when i was one or two years younger ehe-ehem. bye for now
shardeen

hi guys
i bought my first record from a record shop at spring hill
two shops from the turf pub and four shops back from old bill landon plumbers and bath rooms and across the rd from a little tobbaconist next to the libary
i used to buy 4 little dominos ciggies in a paper packet for the old 6 d peice
and the very first record was diana , by paul anka and at the same time i had to fetch winnie attwell for mother that night we must have driven a groove into the
vinyal two days later i had to go and get a new needle and for my older brother bill hayley rock around the clock and that was the start of my whopping collectiopn i have i even have classic like paul robson ,frankie lane gracie fields show boat the lot
best wishes astonion ;;;;

hello Elizabeth, excuse my formality but i think the record shop in Gooch st was called greene's, i used it myself a few times when i was one or two years younger ehe-ehem. bye for now
shardeen
You have a better memory than me faces i remember names no good,i had a friend from
hope st school who lived almost next door to the shop liz

Back