• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ratcliffe

FOXY

master brummie
I have been looking for the death of Ellen May Ratcliffe nee Garfield,believe she was called May by the family I have found her birth in 1897 and her wedding in 1917, but the death I just cannot find.

Area & Hubby (Marriage details)

Hi Foxy :) As Mrs T asked,, can you post Area for searching(s)
& Marriage details with Hubby & address(s) Both.
Ellen May Ratcliffe (maiden Garfield) was 20 in 1917 marriage
so searching a death,,hopefully she reached 99 not out ;)
Thats a 79 year search span,,, oooh!

Electoral Rolls of Husband 1918 & upwards (Ladies not given vote ,Aha:P
would be a fair chance of tracing her alongside him, 1930/35.s Ok
Cheers John Y :cool:

Last edited:
I know she was still alive in 1953 because she lost her son that year,she married in Kings Norton to Albert Ratcliffe.

Marriage 1917

Yo Foxy :) Marriage registered in Aston, Warks 2nd Quarter 1917
Ellen M Garfield & Albert Radcliffe ref 6d, Certificate available B,ham ok.

1953,, Sons name? what address? Could be in obituaries/papers etc.
Just gathering data,,better to trace Ellen then, could she have remarried?
Was Albert still alive in 1953?
Cheers John Y :cool:

I think he must have been alive, on there sons grave it says son of Albert and May Rattcliffe, would they have said deseased if either had died.

Son?

Name:David Ratcliffe
Year of Registration:1920
Quarter of Registration:Oct-Nov-Dec
Mother's Maiden Name:Garfield
District:Kings Norton (1913-1924) County:Staffordshire, Warwickshire Volume:6d Page:237 (click to see others on page)

Yes I don't know how any children she had,the only one I am sure of is the one that died in 1953 age 21 his name Horace Albert buried at Witton.

Well the only Radcliffe/Garfield child that I could magic up was David born 1920!

Last edited:
I viewed the death index for Horace from 1952 to 1957, and sorry to say that I found nothing.....I decided to check out the births instead....found David like Jayne did...but also found Albert H born sept qtr 1918...mothers name Garfield...6d 653 (I think) Aston....I will search through another few years to see if I can find a Horace Albert...but I have a feeling that Horace is Albert jnr....

another birth....Hilda M born Kings Norton 1923 March qtr

Ronald born Kings Norton 1924 June qtr

Last edited:
I have only just only recently come across Ellen in my family search,recently found her son's grave at Witton I didn't know how many children she had so she at least had four,I would like to know if Ellen is also buried at Witton but to find out I need to find her date of death,I have found the staff at Witton very helpfull but they need to know which year to search,she was known as May rather than Ellen I have looked at both,if she married again would she have used her maiden name.

Quick reply.....if Ellen remaried she would have used her married name of Ratcliffe...

Foxy....I searched the births index from 1918 to 1945, and could not find a Horace Ratcliffe born to a Garfield..the only Ratcliffe/Garfield children are the ones which I have already listed.....I checked the deaths index again for a horace between 1952 and 1957....nothing....I even checked the 1939/40 index to see if an Albert had died again I drew a blank....

I keep looking over the same ground,I have looked and I think your right about Horace being Albert Horace,I don't know why Ellen May or her husband can't be found,I have spend ages looking, knowing they have to be there thinking I may have missed them,they will come to light sooner or later.

Back