• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

RAF Members and Identification

Andy Brockway

Brummie babby
My grandfather Frederick Desmond Andrews (1904-1992) was in charge of an RAF support group during WW2.
He is the one sitting cross legged front centre.
He lived in Kidderminster and was stationed at various locales during the war including Birmingham and Sutton Coldfield.
Looking to draw on collective wisdom here.
What would be the best site to post the picture on to see if any identities could be determined?
I'm going to try and locate his war time records and any suggestions of best routes to go would be appreciated
Thanks all
Andy Brockway

Attachments

• Des Andrews.jpg
    Des Andrews.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 31
  • File7.jpg
    File7.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 31
I'm going to try and locate his war time records and any suggestions of best routes to go would be appreciated
Thanks all
Andy Brockway

There's information about applying for post ww1 service records here, appears to be simple enough...

Best of luck finding out more info. If he lived in Kidderminster during the war then it's highly likely he had something to do with No 25 Maintenance Unit "RAF Hartlebury" which was South of Kidderminster. It was an absolutely huge base with lots of outstations handling the storage of all sorts of equipment. It didn't have an airfield. The big trading estate at Hartlebury still has lots of the old RAF buildings in use and a string of other modern trading estates along the A442 also used to be part of 25 MU.

Having been in the RAF myself, I'd say the photo was probably taken when doing shooting practice - the "500" in the background probably indicates it being a 500 yard range.

Last edited:
“Two new recruits to the meet "Sergt. Prince * Birmingh Recruiting Centre's mascot. They are Gordon Jones, of 31, Hastings-road, Perry Common, and Noel of Kineton-lane, Hockley, both aged 18. They leave for Cardington to take up 3 year engagement.”
(Evening Despatch, March 1950)

IMG_0923.jpeg

IMG_0924.jpeg

Back