• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Radio

The intro music to "music while you work", used to be on the radio every Sunday morning, when I was a child, in the 1940's and early 50's, just before the Billy Cotton band show, and I remember it so well, with mom in the kitchen preparing Sunday dinner, and I would go out with dad to cannon hill park in summer, and would play in our sitting room in winter, so many happy memories. lovely to hear it again!!!
Sundays were special because we had family time as they call it, which used to not have a name then. Radio was on all day, lovely music.

Paul, 'music while you work' was not on on Sunday. It was a weekday programme (1940 - 1967) at 10.30 am and 3.45 pm. originally and featured different bands each day. The introductory music, by Eric Coates, was 'Calling All Workers'.

Richard, I think a special unit of the Post Office was responsible for detecting illegal communications as the GPO was officially responsible for communications. These days OFCOM is responsible, but the rules are the same. It is illegal to broadcast without a licence. Commercial licences are very expensive and not usually available to community groups. https://www.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/rules
Seems a revenue thing. Such a shame, the phones will/ have taken over!

BBC Radio 4 currently broadcasts on Longwave 198 kHz (just over 1500 metres in old money). But live cricket (Test Match Special) and the Shipping Forecast are now available elsewhere. The Droitwich transmission masts at Wychbold will probably be dismantled as analogue broadcasting ceases this summer. (There are also digital transmitters on the site though for communications and mobile phones.) The Droitwich masts are 95 years old.
IMG_0289.jpeg

1715299647667.pngwat no AM

the ability of longwave transmissions to travel large distances is well known. But less well-publicised is the ability of the single longwave transmitter at Droitwich, Worcestershire, to broadcast signals across the European continent and beyond. At a time of international tension, it is becoming increasingly clear that this is one of the most important transmitters in the world.
Broadcasts from the 89-year-old transmitter began in 1934, intended to bring the voice of the BBC to listeners across the entirety of England and Wales. But it soon became clear that the signal was far from restricted to these shores. The Droitwich transmitter was used to carry signals onto the European Continent during the Second World War, and continues to provide BBC Radio 4 to much of northern Europe to this day.

What has your boiler got to do with your radio?Economy 7 Teleswitching. Introduced in the 1980s, this technology allows central heating systems to be switched on and off using a time signal received by radio. Naturally, with its near-complete reliable coverage of the entire country and zero time-delay in broadcasts, the 198 kHz signal of BBC

:mad:

Last edited:
And Eric Coates' Knightsbridge March signature tune of 'In Town Tonight'
We had a piece of music played to us in morming assembly which I enjoyed albeit sitting cross legged on the hard floor. Like Knightsbridge by Eric Coates which our hearmaster 'Ginner' (Ginger) Ison wrote in big letters. We listened to the likes of Morning by Grieg, Intermezzo, I think it was, Jesu's Joy of Man's Desiring & a Children's' chorus of Bruderchen Kom Hand Mit Mir , sorry can't spell. Thanks for bringing it all back.

BBC Radio 4 currently broadcasts on Longwave 198 kHz (just over 1500 metres in old money). But live cricket (Test Match Special) and the Shipping Forecast are now available elsewhere. The Droitwich transmission masts at Wychbold will probably be dismantled as analogue broadcasting ceases this summer. (There are also digital transmitters on the site though for communications and mobile phones.) The Droitwich masts are 95 years old.
View attachment 191371
That is incredible that they are 96 years old when there are buildings only 60 years old getting ready to be pulled down! Just think about all and everything they have transmitted! Fully understanding they are static devices for the most part, sans weather.

That is incredible that they are 96 years old when there are buildings only 60 years old getting ready to be pulled down! Just think about all and everything they have transmitted! Fully understanding they are static devices for the most part, sans weather.
Richard, they are well maintained and there are two pairs of masts so one pair can carry the aerial while the other is repaired. We will see what happens to the site. FM in the UK is still high quality and many use digital radio (though reception isn't always brilliant). Domestically we can use BBC sounds via an App on our phones, either live or replay. Derek

Richard, they are well maintained and there are two pairs of masts so one pair can carry the aerial while the other is repaired. We will see what happens to the site. FM in the UK is still high quality and many use digital radio (though reception isn't always brilliant). Domestically we can use BBC sounds via an App on our phones, either live or replay. Derek
Derek, do you have AM radio in the UK? We have AM & FM in the US. FM is used mostly (not all) for music and has a shorter range, AM has a much longer range. Additionally we have satellite radio which is a paid service, AM & FM are not paid.

Derek, do you have AM radio in the UK? We have AM & FM in the US. FM is used mostly (not all) for music and has a shorter range, AM has a much longer range. Additionally we have satellite radio which is a paid service, AM & FM are not paid.
Richard, AM certainly, usually called medium wave here. Satellite radio if you have a dish, usually for TV services. There has been a growth of internet radio streams which we can listen to via a computer, internet radio or with a module in a hi fi system. Derek

the northerly mast is actually the transmitting antenna whilst the southern mast is a passive reflector causing the rf signal to form a cardioid pattern tending in a NE direction so as not to interfere with the similar set up in Bristol. The smaller mast system transmits digital radio signals.
531 kHz to 1602 kHz

MF Medium Frequency. The part of the spectrum between 300 kHz and 3000 kHz. The broadcast part of this band (531 kHz to 1602 kHz) is often known as the medium wave
The longwave radio broadcasting band is the range of frequencies lying between 148.5 and 283.5 kHz (corresponding to wavelengths between 1000 and 2000 metres). This range is included within the low-frequency (LF) band, although the LF band covers a wider range than that used for longwave transmissions.
1715349506744.jpeg

Last edited:
Richard, AM certainly, usually called medium wave here. Satellite radio if you have a dish, usually for TV services. There has been a growth of internet radio streams which we can listen to via a computer, internet radio or with a module in a hi fi system. Derek
Thank you! Do you have Satellite radio in the car? Regardless of where you are, NY or California, if you are tuned to a station you receive without interruption & great audio.

On my mobility scooter I have an MP3 radio, with built in speakers.. I have only used it twice, but it seems to have local stations on it, Possibly more stations but it is an accessory that I could do without.

Thank you! Do you have Satellite radio in the car? Regardless of where you are, NY or California, if you are tuned to a station you receive without interruption & great audio.
No, we have a Digital Audio Broadcasting system (DAB) in our cars and in some parts DAB+ as found in Continental Europe is available. Many radios have FM and AM as well. The problem with DAB is that it often gives inferior reception, despite the radios costing much more. (DAB+ is said to be better)

There are no commercial satellite broadcasts in the UK apart from audio only channels on TV sets. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_radio_in_the_United_Kingdom

No, we have a Digital Audio Broadcasting system (DAB) in our cars and in some parts DAB+ as found in Continental Europe is available. Many radios have FM and AM as well. The problem with DAB is that it often gives inferior reception, despite the radios costing much more. (DAB+ is said to be better)

There are no commercial satellite broadcasts in the UK apart from audio only channels on TV sets. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_radio_in_the_United_Kingdom
Our radios all have am/fm mostly commercial with a few public stations. The newer cars come with Satalite radio as a trial which we don’t use. To Pete’s point below we have stations that specialize in type of music, we have a couple of oldies stations that’s what they play all the time., the country, jazz, classical etc.

Seems like a ‘boondoggle’ to me! When CB’s were big in the US, mid seventies, you had to have a license: there was so much push back from the populace that the manufacturers put one in the box for free. Of course everyone knew someone who could boost your signal to as we said, “blow your doors off”.
We had a new plant about a four hour drive away, mostly highways, the CB was great entertainment just listening to the truckers.

i have DAB in the car it's as much use as a rubber ladder. the only station i listen to is Manx 1368 AM that is great especially on a sat morning playing all the 60s music
I still tune in to Tony Blackburn on Saturday mornings. I still have an FM radio in my car. ;) Tony and his "Sounds of the 60's" show, is one of the few programmes and of their few older presenters (along with Johnnie Walker), that they seem unable to take off the air and long may that continue to be the case.

Boom Radio is rather good too, sadly it isn't on AM or FM. I use Alexa and BBC Sounds, to catch up on the couple of Radio 2 shows, that I still like. Thanks for the tip on Manx 1368.

I still tune in to Tony Blackburn on Saturday mornings. I still have an FM radio in my car. ;) Tony and his "Sounds of the 60's" show, is one of the few programmes and of their few older presenters (along with Johnnie Walker), that they seem unable to take off the air and long may that continue to be the case.

Boom Radio is rather good too, sadly it isn't on AM or FM. I use Alexa and BBC Sounds, to catch up on the couple of Radio 2 shows, that I still like. Thanks for the tip on Manx 1368.
me too i listen to tomny 6 TILL 8 white all the really bad jokes. and jw sun afternoon that is the only time i have rad 2 on

me too i listen to tomny 6 TILL 8 white all the really bad jokes. and jw sun afternoon that is the only time i have rad 2 on
Those "bad" jokes are so funny though aren't they? I may have heard them before, but in most cases, it is like I've never heard them at all. It's the way he tells them (to loosely quote Frank Carson)! :laughing:
1716103803945.png

Back