• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Radio Gramaphone Developments

AustinLancer

knowlegable brummie
Greetings from Australia

Would any one have any information re the radio/tv company Radio Gramaphone Developments ?

I understand they were from 1929 at the Globe Works, Newtown Row Birmingham 6, until bombed in WW2, moving to Bridgnorth until taken over in 1952 by Regentone.

Greetings from Australia

Would any one have any information re the radio/tv company Radio Gramaphone Developments ?

I understand they were from 1929 at the Globe Works, Newtown Row Birmingham 6, until bombed in WW2, moving to Bridgnorth until taken over in 1952 by Regentone.

btw, if you are trying to search on it it is "gramophone" not "gramaphone".

Whoops - sorry guys - gramaphone spelling - must be antipodean - or the result of too much Ansells / M & B !!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks to all for replies re RGD.

PaulE & Alf if interested Wikipedia have a good article on the Austin Lancer motor vehicle built by BMC in Oz in late 50s / early 60s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Lancer

The Series 1 is just a bread and butter Wolseley 1500 - the Flickr pic PaulE mentions is a Series 2 (BMC Oz took the Wolseley changed the front/back/engine for a US look - yuck !!!!)

Apparently Oz local content on my Series 1 was pretty high but everything seems to be English, SU Brum, Smiths instrument etc.

My Austin is 52 years old but is reliable and fun, and in an era of bland moderns always gets lots of looks.

Longbridge lives on down under !!!!

Only just noticed this thread about R.G.D and the reason it caught my eye was that in 1957 my parents bought the first family TV. My sisiters and I knew nothing about it until one evening it was delivered all shiney and new.

The TV was an R.G.D and I seem to remember it was known as a "Deep 17". The 17 was the screen size bit I dont know abput the "Deep" I do know that everyone who visited the house commented on what a super picture it gave. My dad was quite keen on things electronic and electrical and I assume thats why he purchased this particular make. I think it served us well to around 1964 .

Back