• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Racquet Court Bath Street

Hi thanks … l tried to post a an article from Carl chinns brummagem magazine by my aunt Joan Porter which shows my great grandmother outside the shop she owned in weaman street.. it didn’t come out - l’ll try again

If the item was alrger than about 1mb then it will not post, and will have to be reduced in size

There's a drawing of the Racquet Court in Joseph McKenna's book 'Central Birmingham Pubs' Vol 1.
There's also a write-up in paragraph 4 on the page opposite. Let me know if you want the full one scanned.

View attachment 174015

I only looked into this place last night because Tom Kenny sent me a message requesting some information. I did not set out to further discredit Joseph McKenna but the information provided in this section has several errors. I have only referred to this book a couple of times and on each occasion I have found errors, some slight and some terrible. I have just posted my observations on this property at :

The social media sites have been blames for spreading misinformation but, as can be seen here, book authors can be just as guilty !!

Thank you for all the comments above and yes, I have sadly found several errors in this sort of book, some of which are glaringly obvious but everybody makes mistakes, me included. I tend to use them as a starting point to be verified if I'm really interested by visiting the Archives here and in London. It's good to know that 'Midland Pubs' has also done his homework and been able to give a truer picture. However, it was really the sketch I thought might be useful to Thomas and I do like a picture.

Many years ago I was researching boxing in Birmingham in the last quarter of the 19th C and this pub came up. As did a lot more! A boxing historian, Tony Gee, referred me to the old newspaper archives in Colindale to search the copies (originals) of the Midland Sporting News which were full of information.

I'll see if I can find anything Thomas - all my records then were kept in files rather than one a PC so I'm not sure I still have them but I will look and let you know.

There's a drawing of the Racquet Court in Joseph McKenna's book 'Central Birmingham Pubs' Vol 1.
There's also a write-up in paragraph 4 on the page opposite. Let me know if you want the full one scanned.

View attachment 174015

It must be a typo rather than an error, but it does say the Racquet Court Inn was established c.1747 - according to the map resources I have the site was a field then.

This item is from Birmingham Daily Post - Saturday 01 July 1995, a few inaccuracies but still interesting. I suspect the first court mentioned was the one in Sheepcote Street.

Attachments

• Birmingham Daily Post - Saturday 01 July 1995  Page 27.jpg
    Birmingham Daily Post - Saturday 01 July 1995 Page 27.jpg
    636.3 KB · Views: 13
A boxing-related snippet from the Birmingham Mail - Saturday 27 March 1909 ...

A little off topic but it illustrates how small errors can occur - I see that Bob Brettle appears as 'Bettle'. Lots of names I recognise.

I think it was when I was researching 'Victoria Hall' and a benefit match held there in the late 1800's that I first came across The Raquet/Rackett Court. Interesting place and the Chris Upton piece was really good. Thanks.

Back