• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Racquet Court Bath Street

Thomas Kenny

knowlegable brummie
Hi I'm trying to find information about my great grandfather also named Thomas Kenny who owned this place it was a lodging house for Irish working men. can anyone help?

The 1901 and 1903 Kellys both list the Raquet court public house as at 32 Bath St, in both cases with John Killian as landlord. It is notable that on the 1901 census John Killian is not listed as a landlord. this is not uncommon as he would have another profession, and, although he held the licence , the wife did the work, but this is not listed on the census. At no 32 there are 3 unrelated gun making employees listed in addition to the family. They are presumably lodgers. Thomas is not there then, but presumably was art another time, but at the time of the census had got his own house at no 44. These are shown on the c 1889 map below

map c1889 showing raquet court and no 44.jpg

There's a drawing of the Racquet Court in Joseph McKenna's book 'Central Birmingham Pubs' Vol 1.
There's also a write-up in paragraph 4 on the page opposite. Let me know if you want the full one scanned.

Racquet Court.jpg

My grandad was also called Thomas Kenny- he was born in 1901 died 1973 .. lived in warstock then moved to 104 college road Moseley … his wife was Mary but used the name Dora they had 2 children… my uncle Tommy and my dad paddy ( Patrick)

i have edited the thread title to read the correct spelling of racquet which also makes the search engine easier to find it in future i will search my photos and post if i have any but have to say its a new name for me...i wonder why it was called racquet court

lyn

If you want to give your dad's name it should be possible to trace back, no worries if you don't.
It’s Patrick Edward Kenny dob 8/5/35 he had a brother my uncle Tommy- my grandfather also called Thomas Kenny was born in 1901 and died in 1972/3 - they lived somewhere in warstock before moving to 104 college road Moseley -my grandmother was called Mary but used Dora ..thanks Tom

My grandad was also called Thomas Kenny- he was born in 1901 died 1973 .. lived in warstock then moved to 104 college road Moseley … his wife was Mary but used the name Dora they had 2 children… my uncle Tommy and my dad paddy ( Patrick)

I think it's the family I've mentioned previously, however I have some discrepancies with the info you've given but I'm only detailing what/how it is listed.

Your uncle was Thomas Dennis b1926/7.

Thomas married Dorothy Mary Maddock in 1926.

They were living at 3 Ibberton Road in 1939.

Mary Dorothy was born 6 May 1905, d 2001.

If this is correct then I think your grandad was born 4 Aug 1904 and died in 1976. He appears to have been born before his parents married and registered as Thomas Charles Hodgkins.

I think it's the family I've mentioned previously, however I have some discrepancies with the info you've given but I'm only detailing what/how it is listed.

Your uncle was Thomas Dennis b1926/7.

Thomas married Dorothy Mary Maddock in 1926.

They were living at 3 Ibberton Road in 1939.

Mary Dorothy was born 6 May 1905, d 2001.

If this is correct then I think your grandad was born 4 Aug 1904 and died in 1976. He appears to have been born before his parents married and registered as Thomas Charles Hodgkins.
Spot on …thank you

Hi Tom,
Write up attached. I was researching this pub in connection with boxing in the mid-1800's. Sadly, it doesn't actually say very much and doesn't mention all the licensees

Racquet Court text.jpg

Hi all .. thanks for the help … l’ve got a document that advertised my great grandfathers lodging house at 32 bath st off snow hill ..called old racket court - is that correct or should it be racquet court. Thanks Tom Kenny

From the internet

Racket is the standard American spelling of the word. Racquet is an alternative spelling more common in Britain, as evidenced by the BBC style guide. Racquet is used more commonly in certain sports, such as tennis, squash, racquetball, and badminton, and less commonly in others.

Hi Thomas,
Glad you've got some more information - it's a good feeling isn't it? I've always known the pub as the Racquet Court and that's what the book says.

Hi Thomas,
Glad you've got some more information - it's a good feeling isn't it? I've always known the pub as the Racquet Court and that's what the book says.
Hi LP ..thanks yes going back a long way! Now l realise why l was referred to as little Tommy .. and I’m 64!

That's a smashing photo John, a real find. I shall be spending some time later looking for various buildings that I'm interested in.

Hi LP … l would be interested In anything you find out .. my great grandfather (Thomas Kenny) was the landlord at old racket court bath st and my great gran (Mary) ran a shop on weaman street at the same time…l think theres a link between st chads cathedral and bishops house and racket court .. receiving mass? Bishops house was where priests had lodging and racket court was a lodging house for working men Rgds Tom Kenny

Back