• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Question? Glenavon Road 1948/9

no worries gerry i will read it when janices sends it to me...

do you happen to know the years your nan and grandad was born and when they died....every little bit of info may help us...

lyn
Interesting fact. Grandad died in I think 1988. in Tamworth, Irwell close? His full name was John Joseph Hill. His father was JJ Hill a Tamer of Beasts, also with Pat Collins Fairs & Menagerie. Grandad was well known round the rag market and sharpened scissors and blades on a converted bike. His sister was Lucy was a real Romany, and lived somewhere in Balsall Heath or that area, her name was Lucy HINTON ( nee Hill), Thanks, G.

hi gerry here is the 1901 census for your grandad john joseph hill as you see he is 9 years old living with his parents and siblings also note they have missed out his middle name of joseph which often happened...the occupation of his grandad also john at that time is blacksmith..also below is the birth record for your grandad john joseph hill born sept quarter 1891 in aston...as you will see on the 1901 census they are living in heysham lancashire. also note his sister bertha is married and is now bertha thorne and has a 1 month old daughter lily.if you want to find out for certain where your grandad was born ie the black patch you can order his birth cert online..here are the details you will need..if there is anything you dont understand just say...in 1881 john hill (your gt grandad married sarah ann harbone in aston birmingham
this is a joint effort between myself and janice

lyn

Name John Joseph Hill
Registration Date 1891
[1891]
Quarter of the Year Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration Place Aston, Warwickshire, England
Volume 6d
Page 416

LANRG13_3986_3989-0300.jpg

Last edited:
hi gerry here is the 1901 census for your grandad john joseph hill as you see he is 9 years old living with his parents and siblings also note they have missed out his middle name of joseph which often happened...the occupation of his grandad also john at that time is blacksmith..also below is the birth record for your grandad john joseph hill born sept quarter 1891 in aston...as you will see on the 1901 census they are living in heysham lancashire. also note his sister bertha is married and is now bertha thorne and has a 1 month old daughter lily.if you want to find out for certain where your grandad was born ie the black patch you can order his birth cert online..here are the details you will need..if there is anything you dont understand just say...in 1881 john hill (your gt grandad married sarah ann harbone in aston birmingham
this is a joint effort between myself and janice

lyn

Name John Joseph Hill
Registration Date 1891
[1891]
Quarter of the Year Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration Place Aston, Warwickshire, England
Volume 6d
Page 416

View attachment 194273
You ladies are Marvelous, I wouldn't have known where to start...I shall certainly look further into this. Bless you guys. Gerry

always happy to help gerry.and it keeps us out of trouble..so to re cap in case you want to write it down..with luck we may find who your gt gt grandad was...

your grandad is john joseph hill born 1891 aston birmingham
he married kate elizabeth smith...1925

your gt grandad is john hill born 1861 birmingham
he married sarah ann harbone 1881 birmingham

lyn

Last edited:
always happy to help gerry.and it keeps us out of trouble..so to re cap in case you want to write it down..with luck we may find who your gt gt grandad was...

your grandad is john joseph hill born 1891 aston birmingham
he married kate elizabeth smith...dont think we have a date for that yet but will do a search

your gt grandad is john hill born 1861 birmingham
he married sarah ann harbone 1881 birmingham

lyn
Fantastic; I don't think you realize how helpful this is to me at my age, I am so grateful to you both. This information may well prove invaluable to my own children. This is like "Who do you think you are" on TV Now, it did make me wonder ladies.....Simple Minded? ..... a tick next almost all except those from Lancashire... ? Or are my ancestors all....err.....lunatics and or imbeciles....deaf or blind......I'm happy is doesn't say. Also I notice his sister Lucy there aged 8. They fought like cat & dog. Lucy lived in an old slum house, without any facilities, and I remember Grandad with his knife grinder bike in Aunties Lucy's outhouse. Lucy had always got a bottle of stout in her hand; always had flowered pinny on Ah...my lovely family Bless 'em. Have I read it correctly ladies? Gerry

I think the ticks are just someone checking they have the right birthplace info. Hence the 2 entries of Lancs and Derbs.
There would be numbers so a 1 for deaf and dumb for example.

hi gerry i think lucy married a john hinton...can you recall the names of any of lucys children ?

lyn

Back