• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queens Head Meriden

• Thread starter Thread starter glaciermint
  • Start date Start date
G

glaciermint

Can any of the pub experts help me with this postcard. It shows the Queens Head, an Atkinson's pub so probably in the Birmingham area but where?
The card is unposted and there is no publisher shown so I have no clues.
Thanks, Bob

Meriden Queens Head Meriden.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
looks more like its taken in the countryside to me. does that say aston ales under the atkinsons sign. this looks like one for astonian etc. wales.

Yes the sign on the roof says Atkinsons Aston Ales so it is the Brum brewery. As you say Wales, it certainly looks to be in the country by todays standards but if it was pre WW1 it might not have been all that far from Aston. On the other hand I don't know how far Atkinson's spread their net - it may not even be in the Midlands. Hopefully somebody will recognise it!

Bob

Glaciermint

Of the 15 Queens Head Public Houses I can trace within the boundaries of Birmingham from 1900 to the mid 1940’s. I don’t think any of them would be the one your photo. The list is as following.

Q.H. Farm St B19
Q.H. Londonderry Lane, Smethwick
Q.H. Queen St, Smethwick
Q.H. Reservoir Rd, Gravelly Hill
Q.H. Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham
Q.H. Icknield Port Rd, Ladywood
Q.H. Soho Rd, Handsworth
Q.H. Garrison St, B9
Q.H. Burbury St, Lozells
Q.H. Aberdeen St, Winson Green
Q.H. Bishop St, B5
Q.H. Gooch St B12
Q.H. Camden St, Brookfields
Q.H. Hockley St,B18
Q.H. Midland St,B9

Have a look, and see what you think

Phil

Thanks for that research Phil but I must confess none of those addresses look very likely do they!
I've just seen on the Midland Pubs site that they had a good presence around the Black Country so perhaps it is in one of the outlying areas like Clent, Himley etc.

Bob

My Missus reconds thats the Queens Head at Meriden. ( and she knows everything )

HI GANG ,
Regarding This Picture Of The QUEENS Head ,[ Where Is It ]
First Of All What Year Was This Post Card Came Into The Persons Possession
And I Think Glaziermint Is Quite Right ,And Because Akkies Brewery Was Aston Brew,
It Was Classed As There Ist Flag Ship .So I Am Going On Instinct Of My Memory ,The
White Walls Are The Outside Toilets In Them Days ItWas Opend And This Particular
Pub Is Still In Use It Had A Major Change Around FromThem Days ,The Frontage As Changed To A Degree ,And It Had The Big Sign On The Roof And With The The Akki
Sign And When I Tell You ,You Will ALL Kick Yourselfs It Was Local InAnd Aound Aston And As I Am Tapping In This Thread The White Walls Are Screaming At Me Saying Yes, Yes But Unfortuately I Cannot Say To You Until I Make The P

This Is The Queens Public House On WashwoodHeath Road ,And This Pub Is Still Active
Unfortunately It,s Not Attractive As It Was InThem Days Owing To TheFrontage Renovation Which Was Done Around The 1956 Era It Was A very Picture esc Looking
Pub Surronded By Trees The White PartsOf The Picture Was In Fact The Out side Toilets
The White Walls Close Up Would Spring To One,s Mind A Turretts And With A Bar See Through Gate On It This Was The Mans Toilets
On The Roof Was Pinted In Red Polish With The Name Of Akinsons Brewery
Wich Was One Of There First Flag Ships Pub The Local Not Far FromThe AstonBrewery When They Started To Renovate This Pub They Demised Its Character And A Few
Years Later They Took The Tree,s Away Making It Exposed That Photo Was An Ariel Shot And I Also Remember Across The Road Was A Couple Of Old Shops And One Of
These Shops Had A Post Card Stand Out Side And On That StandWas A Picture Of The Pub So Any Tourist May Want To Buy A MemoryOf There Vistit
This Pub Is Down Wash Wood Heath Rd Ward End And It Is TheNext Pub Down FromThe Cross Guns And Down Pass The OldBus Garage In Its Hey Day This Was Very Picturesc And A Very Scenic And Surronded By Tree,s Very Close To The Building
It Was Bad Enough To Remodernise The Pub But To Go And Remove All The Trees
Along Side The Building Was A Mistake I Can Under Stand Removing The Tree,s From The Pavement Angle But Those FromWhat Was the Drive In Area It Should Not Have Been Removed I Can Actualy Remember When They First Started To Renovate That
Pub , But Unfortuneatly I Cannot Tell You When That Picture Was Taken
Or When The Pub Was Built Long Before I Was Born But I Do Know And Sure
As God Made Apples That Was The Queens Head Wash Wood Heath Rd
Between The Cross Guns And Ward End Park Rd AndThat Was AKKIS First Flag Ship
As There Brewery Was Only A Stone Throw Away In Aston

Hi Astonian. Well you've thrown the cat amongst the pigeons here, it looks like I'll need to do a bit more checking. I've had the card for years as part of my collection of pub postcards but unusually there was no name or description and it hasn't been posted so there is no clue from the message or date stamp or even a publisher's name.
Back to the drawing board but thanks for the input

Bob

This Is The Queens Head Wash Wood Heath Road Ward End
Walk Down Wash wood Heath Rd Down Past The Cross Guns And It Is The Next One
Down On Your Right The Year Of The Picture I Do Not Know But You Could Have Bought That Picture FromA News Agents In 1956 Up The Hil On The Oppersite Side Of The Road
And I Remember It Very Well Its The First Flag Ship With The Nsme On The Roof

Marie I agree there was the Cross Guns and the White Swan??? I have been using the Washwood Road route for over 40 years now and have never known a Queens Head pub along there.

Just asked my husband and he said the same it was the white swan, it was demolished quite a few years back, they built houses there.

Thanks for your additional comments, Sylvia, Marie.

Astonian I've just gone back to the link on page 1 posted by Beatrice and you've got to say that although the picture isn't brilliant and its from the other side' it looks remarkably similar and is called the Queens Head so for now I'm sticking with Meriden

Bob

that Was The QUEENS Head Washwood Heath Rd As I Remember It
The White Walls Was The Out Side Toilets The First White Wall Was The Gents And The Second One Was The Ladies And It WasThere Flag Ship And As You All Know The Brewery Was,nt A Thousand Miles Away Looking At That Pic And With out Knowing It You Would Think It Was A Garden View From The Air But It Was In Fact A Drive In Car Park Beatifully Surrounded By TreesAnd I Also Remember When They First Started To Renovate It And I Also Recall A Little Shop On The Hill Of Washwood Rd Where You
Could Buy That Post Card ,,This Pub Was The Next One Down From The Cross Guns
And I Also Remember When They First Took The First Ror Of TreesOut To Start The Renovation And The Final Set Of Trees That Now Expose The Car Park Today
There Is A Moderern Block Of Houses There Now Compared To The Old Houses They,ve Been There For At Least Fifty Years And One Was The Old Systle News Agents Around 1953 ,

Postie, I have been in the Queens Head, Meriden, on many an occasion, it lies down a dip just up the village from the Bull's Head. A few years ago on a Bank Holiday they had a celebration of the end of the war and a lot of people were dressed in uniform, and the women wore turbans etc. It was a really good day out, probably 1995 - 50 years after the end of WW11.

I lived across the road from the Cross guns in the 60s and the next pub down was the Swan and in later years Pat Roach had a cars sales next to it.

Alberta ,
We Are Talking Late 40.S And Early Fifties When All This Redevelopment Took Place Yes You Are Right Pat Hd Is Sales There And The Pub Changed NAMES
I Was Around There In The Sixtys Myself And I Worked The Ward End Ex Service Club
Those Hoses ASlso Cross The Road Was Redeveloped In The Eatrly Fifties You Wouldn,t Probaly Remember The Little Shops Across The Road The Little Shop Acrposs The Road Escared The Bull Dozer And One Of The Shops Which In Fact Have One Of There Pic On A Rack Outside For 6 p A Tanner InThose Days , If You Walk Past That Corner ShopToday And Walk Up The Wash wood Heath Rd The First Dozen House Was Little Shops And Not Houses I Can Rest Assured Pat Roach Came Around The Mid Sixties Or Seventies And The Pub Changed Names As Well

I agree with the last 2 commenters, the next pub down from the Cross Guns heading towards Ward End Park was indeed the Swan, it was opposite Common Lane between Lime Tree Road and Ward End Park Road.
Having said that the picture does look like the pub and maybe it was called the Queens Head before the Swan.

If it changed its name it also changed its owner the White Swan was an Ansells house in the early 60s. Dek

I remember the White Swan, during the 60's my parents used to visit friends who lived opposite the pub. Also, they knew the couple who ran the corner shop on the same side just down the road, Harry and Pat Howard.
If i remember correctly, wasn't their a cafe opposite the shop,going towards the park?

Back