• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queen Elizabeth II has died

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
its a very sad time Queen Elizabeth II, the UK's longest-serving monarch, has died at Balmoral aged 96, after reigning for 70 years.Queen she was a loverly woman and a great ruler may she rest in peace.
god bless her
the queen.jpg
:sob::sob::sob::sob:

Last edited:
very sad news....for me she was the one steadying influence in an ever changing world...always there and with an amazing sense of duty which she carried out for 70 years...in july 2012 and quite by chance i was heading down colmore row to go the library ...seeing the throng of people lining colmore row i asked what was happening...i was told the queen and prince philip were only mins away so hung around and was able to take this photo of them both as they went past..thank you maam for 70 years of dedication and duty to your country and your subjects....i am going to miss that wonderful smile of yours

GOD BLESS YOU

queen in colmore row 2012.JPG

Last edited:
I remember her fathers death and the next day in school assembly singing God save our gracious QUEEN.
Also remember standing very close to her when she opened Chelmsley Wood shoppng centre in the 1970s.

My husband worked on the build of a shopping mall in Leamington which she opened , he took his camera to the front of the crowd and as she walked through she stood in front of him and smiled, he lost the opportunity of a beautiful photo because he was so awestruck he forgot to press the shutter.

It is hard to imagine life in UK without our wonderful Queen.

We all knew it was going to happen, sooner or later. But what a dreadful blow it is, nevertheless. Not too many of us around from when she first ascended to the throne, but, like Alberta, I do remember and the loss of the King then seemed to me to be something it was very difficult to take in.

What a wonderful person she was and how will her leadership and example and devotion to duty, over a period longer than the lifetime of many of us, ever be equaled, let alone surpassed?

Chris

I echo the sentiments of Astoness. Always a wonderful lady and certainly a steadying influence on her family and this country. Only time I have seen her was as Princess when the royal family toured various places shortly after the war. They came to Birmingham and Mom and I stood in Corporation Street. I stood on a concrete cover over the cellar of one of the large shops so had a good view.
Like everyone else says, her smile was lovely. If only all of us could do that every day as we meet people, what a different world this would be.

we have moved this thread to the condolence section of the forum where it will be highlighted better rather rather than getting lost in general discussion ..it will remain on the forum as it is of historical interest...thanks to pete for starting it

the team

thanks lyn. ......... such a kind wonderfull lady as she was should go down in history for ever, she will be sadly missed.

Like a few of us here I saw her as a teenager during the war and remember her wedding in 1947. It was a shock in 1952 when the King died and she became Queen. With different attitudes of those times some wondered whether a young women 25 years old could successfully become head of state. We now know that she performed faultlessly with dedication. During her reign the country and perhaps some of us and the Queen herself had difficulties, but she was always there ... a symbol of stability ... I shall miss her.

A great and wonderful lady, who happened to be our Queen. She was at the service of our country and others for seventy years. An achievement which would be difficult to better.
I had the privileged of serving her when in the RAF and later in the Fire Service.
God bless you Ma'am, RIP.

I remember her fathers death and the next day in school assembly singing God save our gracious QUEEN.
Also remember standing very close to her when she opened Chelmsley Wood shoppng centre in the 1970s.

My husband worked on the build of a shopping mall in Leamington which she opened , he took his camera to the front of the crowd and as she walked through she stood in front of him and smiled, he lost the opportunity of a beautiful photo because he was so awestruck he forgot to press the shutter.

It is hard to imagine life in UK without our wonderful Queen.
i believe that members of the public are being invited to leave floral tributes at chelmsley wood shopping centre

i believe that members of the public are being invited to leave floral tributes at chelmsley wood shopping centre
The official city centre site is in the grounds of Birmingham Cathedral (off Colmore Row). The council have asked that plastic wrapping and packaging be removed.

Also at:
Coronation Gardens in Dudley, Mary Stevens Park in Stourbridge, Silver Jubilee Park in Coseley, Steven Park in Quarry Bank and Somer Square in Halesowen. Flowers can also be left at the cenotaph in St Peter's Square in Wolverhampton city centre and at memorials in Bilston, Tettenhall and Wednesfield, and outside the civic centre on Darwall Street in Walsall.

Books of Condolence will also be available at the Hall of Memory at Centenary Square, books will be available to sign from 9am to 5pm (Monday to Friday) and will remain open until 5pm on the day following the funeral. Following the period of mourning, the local books will be placed in the Birmingham City Council archive at the Library of Birmingham. There will also be books of condolence available at a number of locations across the city centre and Birmingham more widely.

A photographic exhibition showcasing the Queen's extraordinary reign will also be open at the Library of Birmingham, charting her relationship with the city.

Birmingham Council have added that to make space for for mourners to lay tributes, previous tributes might be removed on a daily basis and sensitively recycled. This will only be the case if the need arises. If flowers are left in any other public place, they will also be removed at an appropriate frequency and sensitively recycled.

In my opinion, flowers should be left until after the funeral or re-positioned nearby, as necessary, rather than "sensitively recycled" on a daily basis!

i took grandson james to st philips cathedral this morning to lay flowers we then went inside and both signed the book of condolance and each lit a candle...it will be moment in our history he will remember..we chose white roses and another white flower that i dont know the name of because i heard the queen liked white flowersflowers for the queen 2.jpgflowers for the queen.jpg

lyn

Last edited:
So sad, and, although inevitable, one can not prepare for it.

When she visited Brum in 1965, I was in the Boy Scouts (1st. West Heath, 81st. Birmingham Troop), and we lined the roadside. IIRC, Colmore Row/Broard Street. I remember seeing her in the back of her car. We saluted as she passed.

Steve.

Takes me back to the Coronation party in Paddington St. She has been a constant throughout my lifetime. I will miss her presence. Watched the funeral and shed tears as the lone piper departed. God Bless Her!!
Dave A

Back