• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pype Hayes - Tyburn Road, Apollo Cinema

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
From what is showing at the Apollo it dates the picture to around 1959, the cinema closed not long afterwards and was knocked down to be replaced by a typical '60's concrete monstrosity.
I'm pretty sure similar versions of the earlier pic are on the Cinema thread.

Ian.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure similar versions of the earlier pic are on the Cinmea thread.

have the pics somewhere:)

After The Apollo it became a Fine Fare Supermarket and I got a Saturday (and a couple of evenings in the week) job there while still at school. I wanted to save some money as my Dad said he's match what I could save so I could buy a car. It was a Dellow for £90 ! Great little motor. Also I managed to take out one of the girl part timers for a few months - a really pretty Irish girl who lived next to the railway at Castle Bromwich. Wonder what became of her.

Pype hayes is name I hav't heard in an age of an age, I met a girl in the new Wimpy bar down town about 1961, who lived on the tyburn road Sylvia Murphy I wonder where she is now.
paul

Pype hayes is name I hav't heard in an age of an age, I met a girl in the new Wimpy bar down town about 1961, who lived on the tyburn road Sylvia Murphy I wonder where she is now.
paul

Got me thinking Paul played Football at Pype Hayes Park a few times also Golf at their Municipal Course and in all those years I've known it I never knew anything about its name, now I know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pype_Hayes_Hall

Back