• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Put a name to this Car

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Can somebody put makers name and model type to this car. It is parked in Hurst St in 1953. I have had the photo for some time, but the make of the car still eludes me. I thought it might be an early Ford Prefect but it doesn't look right. Is it English?

Phil

CityHurstSt1953.jpg

Hi Phil is it a Ford Pilot about 1949/50 if it isnt someone will is bound to Know regards Tom

A mate of mine had one of these in the late sixties/possibly early seventies....a whole load of second-hand pilots came over on a boat and were sold somewhere in the midlands.

Looks like an American car & is possibly a PACKHARD I think

Mike

I agree the pilot looks very similar, but I don't believe it's the same car.

Phil

FordPilot.jpg

I think the radiator grill on the car in question is too sharp or too pointed to be a Pilot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember seeing a Packhard Estate on a photo i think it was on the Gosta Green through Duddeston thread it was parked at the side of Whites Removals on Gt Lister St but i can,t find it. Dek

Not the quite the same although the cadillac has a split windscreen it also has quarter windows in the front doors. Dek

Templar

I think you could be right, because of the two images posted by Frothblower the white on seems to match perfectly.

Phil

Sorry I have n't a clue . But thank you for a reason to spend an hour looking at images of some gorgeous cars. Heaven.

With the old magnifying glass there are several detail differences between the two cars in Frothys pictures so if they are both Caddilacs they are different models.

Silly me, I have just realised that the white car in Frothblower's photo is the one in mine enlarged and flipped.

Phil

It's a 1940 Pontiac Delux Eight 4 door sedan.

39 and 40 were a bit mixed up and there were sixes also, so it could be a Quality Six

This is a picture of the Pontiac 39/40 Quality Six two door coup. Very similar to the Four door in the photo in which the two back doors were suicide type. Most of the pictures that can be found are ones of renovated cars and they vary a bit from the originals...artistic licence/can't find parts. I still think the photo in question is a Deluxe Eight or Six 39/40 presumably in original trim...hard to find.
Added your picture and a 4 blue 4 door in the middle.

Picture found on web. Also web link : https://www.pontiacuk.com/id32.html

Back