• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

Three more old ale houses that are no longer with us, these were either in the town centre or close to it.

1. The Hop Pole on the corner of Bromsgrove St & Pershore St.
2. The Kings Arms Suffolk St
3. The White House, on the corner of Staniforth St & Brickiln St.

City Hop Pole Pershore St .jpg

City Kings Arms Suffolk St c1907 .jpg

City Lancaster Circus The White House.JPG

Last edited:
Image~6.jpg

Not an old pub but closely connected because it is inside Birmingham weights and measures where the vessels were stamped with a measure line or mark. I do not know where this office was other than it was in Birmingham.

Stitcher
The weights & measures dept is just liosted as corporation st in 1932, but in 1912 & 1895 it is 5 St Martins Lane, and of course there may be others. There didn't seem to be one in 1880. The St Martins lane site, looking at the position, it looks like it was in the Market complex, and I would have thought you would see St martins church through the window if it was there.

Well done again Mike, I have said on an earlier post that these detais do make the threads a little more interesting.

Have just realised there would probably be internal courtyards inside the markets, so that could be the view from the window

Does anyone know what happened to The Swan half way up Washwood Heath Hill opposite Common Lane - I see from my Google that it is no longer there

Does anyone know what happened to The Swan half way up Washwood Heath Hill opposite Common Lane - I see from my Google that it is no longer there

It disappeared to housing development the best part of 25 years ago.Working as a Contractor at Nuffields in the 60s I spent many a Saturday afternoon in there.An Ansells house if I remember right.Dek

Nick

You are of course correct, The Hop Pole was where you say. I just checked in Kelly's. This is another result in trusting what is printed on the tag of a photo without doing any research before posting it.

Phil

vvbb.jpeg

I love this photo because it looks so peaceful, it is The Star Wine Vaults in Dale End in 1898.

Another great photo Stitcher. I see what you mean about peaceful. It could be on
a Sunday morning and that guy is strolling on his way to church. So clear, thanks
for sharing it with us.

Stars

That's the rear of the Educational Institute on Suffolk Street on the left there.(Photo on Post 206)

aas~0.jpeg

I pondered for awhile about whether to post this one as an old pub or a city centre photograph. I decided to put it on this thread because you can read
THE DROVERS ARMS. It is dated about 1901.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI STICH;
Well done stitcher i was only thinking of that pub last week in my mind to whether or not to memntion it
that pub was still standing in the fifties as i recall it and as i was not one hundred percent sure i thought may be some one will put it on
eventualy ; the reason i thought of it was because a certain member sent me a photo copy of our grand father and his brother standing some where by that
in the old jamica row before the demo started in the city as there was a cafe and a building called the banna ovens which was ran by irene jelf the daughter of arther jelf my grand fathers brother and because the copy was not a good clear one i could not pick out the drovers but she put an arrow on the copy
of where the banna ovens was and i recall it close to the drovers arms ;which incidently i do recall the pub
it was like looking at news street station with the volume of people charging in and out of the door of the drovers arms as i recall that pub ;
the big building on the top end on the rightside of the picture in the back ground was the very old market hall [ whole sale where even the fish and meat was kept
from behind the men folk in the back ground was the under ground storage for the hawkers ; market traders where there barrow boys would run up and down for the
barrow boys and if you down that street on a sunday morning or after noon you wouldfind tons of fruit and veg discarded we as kids used to go down there every sunday all day mooching and looking for the left overs even tomotoes e came back with loads of stuff we was like an army of urgins . but we was not the only ones
grown ups as well was mooching ; great pictre stich i will down load it myself if you do not mind
stich happy new year to you and your other half best wishes for 2012 astonian ;;;;;;
by the w3ay i havecontacted the carl chinns to gt a decent pic the orininal one from the magazine hopig the picture shows the banna ovens and the drovers in clear view

Hello Astonian, of course I don't mind you downloading it and I will see if I have any more images of it as well for you.

vvv.jpeg

Heres another one for you Astonian.
stitcher.

Great photographs Stitcher!!
Whereabouts in the city centre was that - do you know?
I guess must be in the markets area?

The Drovers Arms was certainly still open in the late 1960's as I remember going to jazz nights there. It was indeed in the markets area, can't recall the name of the street, but quite close to The Birmingham Arms. It was a bit of a rough place, more of an old-fashioned beer-house. I don't know when it was demolished, but probably in the very early 1970's when that part of Digbeth was re-developed.

Thanks Mike I,ve got the location on the corner of Bradford St so what would be the church in the background it must be in Digbeth, is it St Johns? I wonder, maybe not as it would be to low down.Dek

Its not a church Dek, but part of the Meat market on Bradford St. We had a discussion some years ago and decided it was probably a victorian watertower to serve the meat market.
Mike

There is a short text with the picture but it is badly damaged so it has taken awhile to work out what it says. The picture is from the corner of a horse market which was eventually built on as an extension to a covered market. There is a little more but it is too damaged to decipher.
stitcher.

Dek

The Swan on Washwood Heath Rd in 1910, its certainly nothing like the pub I used to catch the bus outside when returning home from a hards days work at the Met on Common Lane.

Phil

Washwood Heath The Swan 1910 .jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if the architect of the Market Water Tower next to the Drover's Arms got inspiration for his design from the tower in the Piazza Signoria in Florence, ?

vv~2.jpeg

I have never heard of this one before.
The Old Pump Tavern, described as a 'drinking hole' in the Bull Ring. 1890.

Sticher

The Old Pump taverm was at the rear of No 8 The Bull Ring and the official address was 8.1/2 The Bull Ring.

Phil

The Old Pump tavern disappeared between 1892 & 1895. By 1895 the occupant was a lodging house keeper, probably had a lot of his old customers living there!

Back