• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

The Leopard named. Gt Hampton row is going up from the borom right corner
Mike

map_c_1889_The_Leopard2C_Gt_Hampton_St.jpg

I am pretty sure that building is still there - I have passed it many times on the bus - it's not a pub now though, I have an idea it's offices of a small company?

thanks mike ive got it now..it was just before the church pub which is on the corner of harford st and gt hampton st,,,

thank you mike...

lyn

Ah, thanks also Mike....

There is a similar looking block of Georgian (I think) buildings on the left hand side of Gt Hampton St going north towards Hockley Brook, between Hockley St and Vyse St.

Just checked on google street view (sorry, I have no idea how to post links!) and the banner outside says it's the IT Business.com - that's where I was thinking of.

hi sparks yes you are quite right about the other buildings on the other side of the road.numbers 69 and 70...i was down there a few months back with my camera..they have now been preserved..

lyn

Last edited:
11~9.jpeg

22~12.jpeg
These two pictures are of the same pub, The Old House at Home as we know it nowadays and the pictures are from about 1895.

qq~0.jpeg

Another one of The Dogpool.

Image_28229~2.jpg

And anther but tis time the cellars with A Mr. William Eades viewing the floodwater after a nasty storm in 1949. Mr. Eades was the Manager and not the Licensee.

vv~1.jpeg

The Breedon Cross which was renamed The Breedon Bar for its last few years in sevice. It stands near the bridge which is over the Worcester and Birmingham canal on the Pershore Road Stirchley.

TerryB18 it looks like The Woodman but after looking at a more recent photo of The Woodman on Holyhead Road on www.digitalhandworth.or.uk it really doesnt look like it the same pub, although it does say it had been renovated. Carol

Carolina, I Just had a look at the digitalhandsworth site and the same picture that you posted is there. It is called The Woodman Inn and it is dated 18th January 1900. https://www.search.digitalhandsworth.org.uk/engine/search/default_hndlr.asp

Terry

Terry thats good so it is the same one.

Stars, glad you like the one with the oak on, all I want is one for the Red Lion in Duke street, Gosta Green and hoping someone will eventually find one.

gg.jpeg

Easy Row and we are looking at The Woodman in the late 1940s or very early 50s. Easy Row became part of Paradise Circus.

mm~0.jpeg

A closer look at the facade.

The Woodman's bar sported a set of tiled pictures, or a set of pictures made from tiles. The pictures are all scenes from Birmingham and this one shows what was rumoured to be minor damage to the inside of Aston Hall after or during the Civil War.

swe.jpeg

This one illustrates the splendour of Ason Hall,

It is obvious that this is a picture of the Old Crown on Digbeth, note the Cavaliers walking past.

44~3.jpeg

ccf5~1.jpeg

I am sure we all recognise the as the Old Bull Ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
55.jpeg

I am sure we allrecognise Assinders Tripe Houe, Well Street off Digbeth

Image_28929.jpg

Probably not so well known this one, The Hen& Chickens in New Street.

86.jpeg

St. Martin's Lane in 1840, one of the buildings in this picture was called The Swan With Two Necks.

Image_28229~3.jpg

Information about the second and third images on this post is very sparse and appears to depict two anonymous woodmen hard at work.

Image_28329~1.jpg

Image_28429.jpg

1642, with The Golden Lion in the background this picture shows Prince Rupert in Deritend.

Image_28729.jpg

Prince Rupert again, in front of The Ship at Camp Hill this time.

Image_28829~0.jpg

Birmingham Town Hall was completed in 1834 and this one is a picture of it.

zxc~0.jpeg

This is a section of the public bar wall showing how the tiled pictures were not hanging on the wall but were actually part of the tiling itself.

99~1.jpeg

This one shows the serving area in the public bar.

Hello carolina. I have countless pages of stuff about old Birmingham and many of the old pictures were enhanced and re-printed years ago to help me with my venture as a tourist guide for Birmingham. I have resumed my task of de-cluttering and I am sorting out several boxes of papers and while I am at it I will keep looking for the pictures others have asked about.
stitcherm

My goodness Stitcher, what a great collection. I am enjoying looking at them.

Thanks for sharing them with us Stars

Hello stars, I will be quiet for a short time because I am just off to hospital again. I have posted before that I am working on a very time consuming sewing which involves a vast number of cotton changes. After awhile I leave it and do a few postings then return to it, so it will all get done eventually but doing it this way prevents me from getting fed upof one or the other.

Guys,
The most remarkable thing about the photographs is the total absence of litter. Something I have noticed before with pictures of Ol Birmingham.

Great finds

David

Back