• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

• Thread starter Thread starter Stitcher
  • Start date Start date
firebird Edgbaston.jpgThe Firebird, Edgbaston.
This one was taken over by squatters about a year agobut they have gone now.

Is the Firebird the place that was edgebaston conservative club and then became a pub. Was looking for it on google maps and see that its not Balsall Heath road between Bristol & Pershore road now, they've named it after a medical centre -Bellevue

I do believe you have the right details there Mike, the way things have altered and the speed it all happened along with my age make some details a little misty nowadays. I am certain it was on the Benmore Estate and about where you pin-point.

Yes stitch it was betwen the two roads as mentioned and it was a rather big pub owing to the history of the building
but it was not rather a busy pub ; until the late sixtys when the area started to change if you get my drift
the mot opular one was the trees pub always jammed packed with all characers fron m the estate [ jack the lads ]
i knew quite afew of them from the estate when they travelled down to the blarney stone pub in the bull ring up the ramp
and started to sell there shopp lifted items ; i went into he firebird only once on a hot day and asked for a pint of bitter and beleive there coolers was not working and i got a red hot pint it was terrible a big sipp and i spatt it out and march back to the counter and told himabout the beer being hot ;
i never went there again ;one wicked place and then the earl grey came popularand took over by the cannon pub as well so there wa no trade in the fire bird ;
best thing they done was to knock it down ;i went to winson green last wek to check out the oldyorkshire grey ; only to find its a combined
bed ad breakfast and resturant ; or should i say a eating house it was more of a bed sit house in my opiniuon
i think it was the hollyfied pub just down from there ; thats gone ; it was burnt down ; it was so sad to see how the outer city of brum is decaying very rapid
looking tired and run down ;and the rubbish strewn every where i could never return to brum to live myself i have a brothr and sister and daughter whom live in brum i only visit them and only come to brum on bussiness thats winson green but saying that my old pub from years ago the ye olde lion acocks green
as gone down the pitts ; ah well thats the way it goes may be i am looking through an old pair of eyes ;
stitch ; i hope you and your good lady have a good day ; best wishes astonian ;;; alan ;;;

Thanks for all that Allen (Astonian), your view may come from a pair of tired eyes but it is very accurate in my opinion. Although the names escape me at my age, I do remember a lot of the characters from the late fifties early sixties because I used to work nights for Golden Line private Hire, the office was on Holloway Head. The Earl Grey stirs a few memories as well.
stitcher.

Last edited by a moderator:
most of these photos were taken by my brothers friend who has now passed them onto me..thought they were worth sharing with you all...

this first one only has the date on the back but i do recognise it.. taken 1989...the trees..hockley hill

image.jpeg

im delighted to find this one as although its from my neck o the woods i have not heard of it..

the george and dragon..gt king street..dated1957

image.jpeg

the bulls head..pritchett st..dated 1991

image.jpeg

samson and lion..yardley green road..dated 1991

image.jpeg

the roebuck..darwin st..dated 1955

image.jpeg

image.jpeg the anchor inn..benacre st off gooch st..dated 1958

the crown inn...leopold st..dated 1958

image.jpeg

st lukes tavern..st lukes st/varna road...dated 1960

image.jpeg

duke of edinburgh..dudley road..dated 1991

image.jpeg

king edward..lichfield road..dated 1941

image.jpeg

the glassmakers arms..granville st..dated 1961

image.jpeg

st pauls tavern..ludgate st...dated 1989

image.jpeg

the brewers baker..ravenhurst st..dated 1989

image.jpeg

the white horse cellars..constitution hill..dated 1989

image.jpeg

the reservoir..think this was on lichfield road...dated 1991

image.jpeg Ru

the havelock..havelock road saltley...

image.jpeg

re opening of the pot of beer..lister street..dated 1992..think this is now called the gosta green..

image.jpeg

the gunmakers arms..cromwell st...dated 1956

image.jpeg

woodman..curzon st/new canal st...dated 1991

image.jpeg

the white hart...corner of cromwell st...dated 1955

image.jpeg

another one of the pot of beer..lister st..dated 1989..note the old holt brewery sign on the building..

image.jpeg

Dont know if you noticed Lyn, but you posted the Sampson and Lion twice in post 698. I was a regular there at about that time, good pub.

Terry

thanks carolina..i have quite a few more but there is no location written on the back...maybe i should post them under a name the location thread as some members may know the answer..

lyn

speaking of the old woodman pub new cannal street what about the old cauliflower pub
which as been closed down for years where they used to have the old boxing club up stairs that was a thriving pub full of characters in its hey day ;
i think the only surving pub up there now is the old spotted dog ; and thats about hanging on to a dogs whisker ; guys ;
thats not if i am abit to late and some one is gonna tell me its already gone guys ;
hey guys we are running out of old pubs ; justone came to mind was the grotto at camden street anybody out there ever use it i
i did most nights with its cosyfire well alight it gave you a very warm welcome i do not know of any other pubs that have an open fire today guys ;
best wishes astonian ;;

Some great photo's again Lin. I used to go to the Trees in the 70s to the Rock & Roll
on a Friday night. There was a left turn by it which lead down to Key Hill and came out op
the Flat (shops) I think it is a dead end now, no pun intended. And the Samson was on the
corner of Blakeland street, where Neeley's Transport used to be. Thanks for the memories
Lin.

Stars

thats right stars you can see the left turn in the pic...the pub long since gone of course as is the duke of york that was just a tad further down...ive still got a few more to sort through yet...

lyn

Great pics as always, Lyn, even though I recognised only two of the boozers you posted:

The White Horse Cellars - used to go there in the 60's and 70's when the pub was run by the lovely Jim and Mary Twigg.
Real old-time rock records on the juke-box, darts all night, and the occasional jazz upstairs, usually Dan Pawson and The Artesian Hall Stompers (who I think must have played in every pub in the centre of Brum). The building is still there, and last year when I drove past it I think it was a builder's merchants or something like that. Jim had a huge standard Poodle, name forgotten, that would see anyone off the premises if needs be.

The St Pauls Tavern - on Ludgate Hill. One of our regular Sunday lunchtime spots in the early 80's. Lovely pub, run by a bloke called Ken and his missus. Hot pork sarnies to order. My wife says she thinks it's now a rather up-market bar-restaurant.

Big Gee

thanks for your memories big gee...i knew the white horse cellars building was still there but not st pauls tavern..will have a mooch later on through the box of pics...see what else i can find...

lyn

the bulls head...summer lane/new summer st....i like this one as it shows a few houses in new summer st..very rare to find..

image.jpeg

the wellington...think i can just make out the street sign..looks like bishop st..

image.jpeg

the birmingham arms...no location but i know its not the one on dudley road...it could be the one on the corner of summer lane and farm st...i do have a pic of it somewhere so will look it out and compere them..just been told it was on the corner of george st and hampton st newtown...

image.jpeg

not sure if this was actually a pub or an outdoor...kellys look up needed...on the back it just says 101 arthur st sandpits dated 1959

image.jpeg

no idea of location or name im afraid...maybe someone may know it...confirming its the old horns pub queslett road..

image.jpeg

hi phil...yes i think you could well be right....i used to play darts for them many moons ago..also the cat and fiddle...

lyn

Lyn

That particular Birmingham Arms was on the corner of George St / Hampton St in Newtown. The other photo is as Phil says The Old Horns on Queslett as you can see from this earlier photo.

Attachments

• Great Barr Old Horns Queslett Rd.JPG
    Great Barr Old Horns Queslett Rd.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 52
oh thanks phil...ive now edited my post...thanks also for confirming the old horns...

lyn

Lyn
thereis a problem with the picture at post 714. I cannot find (at least around 1959) an arthur st at the sandpits area. there is an Arthur Place, but this doesn't seem to go as high as 101 (and is a short st, so wouldn't expect it to). There is an Arthur st off coventry road, but no listing of any licensec premises at 101 (or any listing at all around then). there is however a beer retailer at 107 Arthur st, so possibly it was 107 Arthur st, off coventry road. It disappeared between 1956n& 1052. Usually by 1956 if a property was labelledbeer retailer it was an off licence, rather than a pub

Lyn
thereis a problem with the picture at post 714. I cannot find (at least around 1959) an arthur st at the sandpits area. there is an Arthur Place, but this doesn't seem to go as high as 101 (and is a short st, so wouldn't expect it to). There is an Arthur st off coventry road, but no listing of any licensec premises at 101 (or any listing at all around then). there is however a beer retailer at 107 Arthur st, so possibly it was 107 Arthur st, off coventry road. It disappeared between 1956n& 1052. Usually by 1956 if a property was labelledbeer retailer it was an off licence, rather than a pub

oh dear mike...this is a mystery then...just looked at the back of the photo again and there is a question mark before it says 101 arthur st sandpits so it does look like the location is not a right one...

lyn

Back