• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pub Quiz League

This flipping pub quiz is doing my head in! I've never looked at so many pictures or found out so many things about pubs! for me ... keep it going :mask:

It is great that some BHF members have discovered more about Birmingham's pubs. Two votes to keep it going and a message that I received stating "seeing that the pubs are reopening on 4th July, it should end it then, as lockdown is easing. We’re entering into a “new normal” period which could last indefinitley so it would make sense to end it then - it’s had a good run. It seems like we’ve all learnt stuff so it has been useful!"
That does seem a logical argument so unless there is a rush of "keep it going" messages we will conclude on what is being called Independence Day.

hi keiron my thoughts are if you are happy to continue and members are still showing an interest in the quiz then please do so...i know that eventually you will be able to get out on your bike more often so when that times arrives its understandable that you most likely wont have the time to log in every day to set a new daily quiz so maybe you could set us a quiz once or twice if time permits...thanks keiron..i am happy to leave it in your hands

lyn

Last edited:
Well I'm still on furlough down here in Wales, although I hope to hear something tomorrow as it is payday end of the month. Despite what happens I've had enough of 'stuck indoors' & have been looking at alternative employment. I can only say I've enjoyed the challenge, some days I can commit longer to it than others, but I guess that's the same for all. I'm happy to go with the flow. I guess that's if Keiron is still happy to set the posers! Whatever it's been a blast :rolleyes:

Given the conditions for many people in the past - both city and country folk - pubs were a great place for many people. there was no tv, just the music halls and cinemas and generally the pubs were where your friends also were. I guess they became your friends as you initially met in the pub in many instances. The places were warm in the cool and cold weather and of course not everyone had decent drinking water. Brum was more fortunate in that respect than many rural places that relied on wells, although good water hadn't always been 'on tap' even in towns. There were many instances of serious illnesses and deaths due to poor water quality and contamination.
Another factor in the pubs popularity was due to the large families that were common at one time. The pub was a way of getting away from being under everyone else's feet, so to speak.
It is also quite noticeable that most regulars had their favourite breweries. Other breweries products were viewed in a poor light - some pubs were not that well lit either ;) - in fact, almost like the tribalism of football clubs. :D

Lyn is so busy with her hedgehog she has not even spotted a Summer Lane boozer - yesterday's image showed the Cross Guns on the corner of Summer Lane and Frankfort Street. I often wonder what the beers produced by Dare's were like? Well done to the Top 3 for spotting it, along with Radiorails.

League Table
Guyarab 54 Points
Curly 51 Points
Elmo 51 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 19 Points
Mikejee 11 Points
allanbrum 9 Points
A Sparks 8 Points
Williamstreeter 8 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Radiorails 6 Points
Morturn 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
pjmburns 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Despite the Banks's element we are still in Brum for today's inn sign. The signboard was pictured in 1990 - name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Monday 22.00hrs 29th June. Good luck!

90.jpg

Yeah, me too!
All I would ask is that it be set to start/finish in the evening, so I/we can get some chores done during the day!
I'm not sure if I can work around that. However, as I don't check and add up the scores until the following morning, I can extend the deadline. I generally have the images up by 9-10am so the deadline could be 24hrs-ish with answers having to be in by 9am.

Well I'm still on furlough down here in Wales, although I hope to hear something tomorrow as it is payday end of the month.
I'm also on furlough but because companies have to start making a 20% contribution in August the economists are predicting an increase in unemployment figures. The company for whom I toil are 'orrible when it comes to paying their employees even when times are good - and voila - we have received e-mails telling us there is going to be a mass cull. So I expect an e-mail or text this week as they don't even have the decency to telephone us.

I've been getting 1 phone call /month re my pay. I suspect too, that once they have to pay something it will change, another reason I'm looking for alternatives. I had to chuckle about your reply to Curly, you realise that we'd be up all night as well then! :)

I'm also on furlough but because companies have to start making a 20% contribution in August the economists are predicting an increase in unemployment figures. The company for whom I toil are 'orrible when it comes to paying their employees even when times are good - and voila - we have received e-mails telling us there is going to be a mass cull. So I expect an e-mail or text this week as they don't even have the decency to telephone us.

2 sons in the same position keiron all we can do is wait and see if they keep their jobs..any road up back to the quiz..i really missed out on yesterdays pub...back to the silly step for me lol

lyn

Alan
I think that that would be an underestimate. Have checked the 1900 Kellys, and , without actually counting, I reckon there must be about 1000 listed as pubs, and that does not include the large number listed as beer retailers, a quite large proportion would be those with a beerhouse licence. Perhaps Kieron has a better estimate

Alan
I think that that would be an underestimate. Have checked the 1900 Kellys, and , without actually counting, I reckon there must be about 1000 listed as pubs, and that does not include the large number listed as beer retailers, a quite large proportion would be those with a beerhouse licence. Perhaps Kieron has a better estimate

The answer is near the bottom of my link https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/glossary.htm#Beer-Houses

Well done to pjmburns, Curly and Elmo, the only 3 to identify the Lifford Curve on Fordhouse Lane, Stirchley. I will leave it to one of the forum's railway experts to explain the significance of the Lifford Curve.

The gap at the top has been narrowed ....

League Table
Guyarab 54 Points
Curly 52 Points
Elmo 52 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 19 Points
Mikejee 11 Points
allanbrum 9 Points
A Sparks 8 Points
Williamstreeter 8 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Radiorails 6 Points
Morturn 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
pjmburns 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
We haven't had a building plan have we? So, let's plonk one in the quiz - some clues are there for you to have a guess. Name the boozer?

NEW DEADLINE
A new deadline for all future entries is 9am so that Curly can run the hoover around. HEALTH WARNING : Do not stay up all night trying to solves the quiz pics!! PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Wednesday 09.00hrs 1st July. Good luck!

91.jpg

Oh bu**ger I kinda thought it might be the Lifford Curve but didn't put it. I need to go with my (fat) gut instinct! That's two points I've missed now.

Anyway, the railway line known as the Lifford Curve is a short curve just north of Kings Norton station joining the Camp Hill Line and The Birmingham West Suburban (Cross City) Line

Map - 10.20.30.png
Map - 10.19.18.png

Yes, same for me. I found a list of Banks's pubs - not many in Brum - that was the only name I could see that might fit the sign image with the curving track - had no idea what it referred to though so thanks for the information :)

Oh bu**ger I kinda thought it might be the Lifford Curve but didn't put it. I need to go with my (fat) gut instinct! That's two points I've missed now.
Anyway, the railway line known as the Lifford Curve is a short curve just north of Kings Norton station joining the Camp Hill Line and The Birmingham West Suburban (Cross City) Line

Quite a sharp curve for a railway - I presume that the trains went very slow and all anybody could hear was the screeching metal?

Well, with a lot of clues on the building plan I thought I was being generous with yesterday's image. However, it proved to be harder to solve than I first thought. There were submissions for the George and Dragon, Queen's Head, The Castle and Nelson Tavern. Here is the correct answer and location close to Whittall Street ....

91a.jpg

Well done to Guyarab and Elmo for identifying the location of this place. Elmo moves into clear second ....

League Table
Guyarab 55 Points
Elmo 53 Points
Curly 52 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 19 Points
Mikejee 11 Points
allanbrum 9 Points
A Sparks 8 Points
Williamstreeter 8 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Radiorails 6 Points
Morturn 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
pjmburns 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
After yesterday's horror show, things do not get easier today as it is time for the Midweek Map Muddle. This plan dates from 1748 and, as usual, you have to name the pub?

DEADLINE
Continuing the new deadline for all future entries you have until the morning PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Thursday 09.00hrs 2nd July. Good luck!

92.jpg

Some folks made this harder than it was meant to be, though Curly was on the case straight away and then got his duster out and put the washing on. I think the Warwick Road element tricked a lot of people. However, that is how the mapmaker, Samuel Bradford, marked the road from High Street Bordesley to Camp Hill. The arrow points to the junction of Sandy Lane. I generously placed an image of Prince Rupert on the map to provide a bonus clue - it is claimed that he used the old Ship Inn as his headquarters - see : https://www.search.birminghamimages.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=10655&PageIndex=29&SearchType=3
It is getting close at the top of the league as Curly and Elmo were the only two who identified the pub's location ...

League Table
Guyarab 55 Points
Elmo 54 Points
Curly 53 Points
Astoness 19 Points
knobbydave 19 Points
Mikejee 11 Points
allanbrum 9 Points
A Sparks 8 Points
Williamstreeter 8 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Radiorails 6 Points
Morturn 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
pjmburns 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Today, we have a more contemporary image. I took this photograph in June 2009. Name the pub?

DEADLINE
Continuing the new deadline for all future entries you have until the morning PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Friday 09.00hrs 3rd July. Good luck!

93.jpg

Finish.jpg

As predicted, I got my e-mail shifting me from furlough to dole office, my last day being July 31st. This seems like an appropriate date to end the Pub Quiz League - there has to be an end game! This gives folks plenty of time to set a target, particularly the Top 3 who are fighting it out for top place. I will have to sort out a small prize for the winner.

View attachment 146377

As predicted, I got my e-mail shifting me from furlough to dole office, my last day being July 31st. This seems like an appropriate date to end the Pub Quiz League - there has to be an end game! This gives folks plenty of time to set a target, particularly the Top 3 who are fighting it out for top place. I will have to sort out a small prize for the winner.

oh dam... sorry to hear the news keiron..my eldest sons future at JLR still unsure hes not been called back yet...one saving grace could be he was in at the ground 9 years ago....good luck

lyn

Last edited:
Maybe I will get to have a look at todays photo. The last couple of days have been busy ones, overgrown wooded are of garden and updateing my computers to Linux 20 - from 19.3. Previous updates went very smoothly but this latest - reminded me of when I used Windows - was not so. I kept loosing audio output. As I use my laptop for Skype I had to do a re-install!!

Sorry, to hear that news about your job Keiron. I had my text with my wage total for June but no phone call to accompany it for the first time. Seems ominous as the company will have to pay tax/ni next month so I'm thinking the same fate awaits me. As an aside, as I've said before, the Prince Rupert picture clue was totally wasted on me lol

Sorry, to hear that news about your job Keiron. I had my text with my wage total for June but no phone call to accompany it for the first time. Seems ominous as the company will have to pay tax/ni next month so I'm thinking the same fate awaits me. As an aside, as I've said before, the Prince Rupert picture clue was totally wasted on me lol

thats nothing elmo..the whole lot was wasted on me...:D:D:D

Hi Keiron,

I'm also sad to hear that are now officially out of work. Unfortunately it is now a worldwide situation - in the States, throughout Europe, and elsewhere, and many I speak to are exploring ways in which they can derive income from the skills that they possess. The internet is now awash with people engaged in this process and some are, of course, much better at promoting their skills than the majority. Good luck in finding a new position and it is not all bad news, I've spoken to several lately in engineering and computing fields who have ended up with a better job than the the one they lost. You seem very adept and I'm sure you will be successful.

Maurice :cool:

Back