• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Price Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
price st..centre of the gun quarter...dated 1904

Price20Street_1904.jpg

Last edited:
this map marked in red show where dairy terrace was (lynne webbs had rellies there)..mikes map on post 9 marked in blue shows the position of the the above pic. The women is standing at the entrance to the court 8 marked in blue on the map. Dairy terrace is in red

map price st c 1905 with dairy terrace and Ct 8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you may recall lynne that my gt gt grandmother was born in price st in 1844

lynne its hard to tell but the bull on the corner has been serving ale since the 1740s so i reckon the houses may have been there then..maybe earlier..

thanks phil that is much better than the one i posted....always loved that photo

Last edited:
Slightly better version of the pic in post#1 and this one is not hosted by Photobucket ...:)
View attachment 131855
Interesting to see this picture. This morning I was working on some family research and discovered a distant relative named James George Dingley has an entry in the 1849 Post Office directory listing him as a grocer at 33 & 34 Price St. I wonder, could the shop in the picture be the one, albeit approx. 50 years later.

Afraid that I do not think it was. I am pretty sure 33 & 34 were at the far end of the street next to or almost next to Lancaster Street, though am not sure which side of the road.

Afraid that I do not think it was. I am pretty sure 33 & 34 were at the far end of the street next to or almost next to Lancaster Street, though am not sure which side of the road.
Thanks Mike, I thought it wouldn't be, knowing my luck.:(

Thanks ever so much, from a descendant of Thomas Monks of 35 Price Street (in 1861 and 1871) and his son, Henry Monks who lived at 35 Price Street in 1881 and 38 Price Street in 1891. Thomas was a gun file maker and Henry a gun file cutter.
My Gt Gt Grandfather Samuel Heath lived at No. 2 Court 2 Price Street in 1881 with his brother William who was a Gun Maker.

brilliant clean up jonob...now i can see it says court 6 on the wall so i have edited my other post...cheers

lyn

My Gt Gt Grandfather lived in Court 14 Price Street in the early 1800s. He was a Jennings : he met a female member of the Brain family, who also lived in Price Street, and they got married. The Brains had moved to Birmingham from the Bristol area in the 1830s. I have been meaning to visit the pub in Price Street which I'm sure would have been used by the Jennings/Brains.
Does anybody have any links with the two families?

Back