• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Posters from the Great War

I doubt if anyone has seen a picture of this Mechanical Recruiting poster from the Great War before it worked by pulling a string.
Just as the likely recruit had finished reading the words here,a recruiting sergeant "out of sight" would pull the string and new words appeared asking the reader to join the colours

On rechecking WW1 & WW2 posters found I had posted these three in the wrong place so I have moved them over to the right place

We seem to see a sense of humour in any situating, here is a newspaper appeal to donate money and give to victims of the Zeppelin raids. and I also came across this post card which I think is cute.
I have a lot more to post on The poster campaign and the psychology of it all

Shops were taken over as recruiting station and the posters plastered all over the place.and a novel idea that someone thought of was a sign post set up in the street pointing to the recruiting station saying Victoria Cross.
The bottom photo shows the Women Recruiting -Sergeants bringing in another gullable  batch of men to be signed up

Wounded soldiers to aid their recovery were encouraged to design posters to aid the war effort.
Here is one chap designing his poster and underneath is the finished modified poster that went on display all over the country

Another Poster being created Showing the Kaiser being bit on the ankle by the British Bulldog after he called the British Army "A contemptible little army",and the name stuck, asl the soldiers who came back from the "Retreat from Mons" were forever more known as "The Old Contemptible's"

The Flag that countless soldiers have died for and meant something in those times 

Wow...these posters are great to see Cromwell and really do help in putting together a broader picture of the events that transpired over the years of WW1. I would imagine that they were very successful in their messages juding by the number of men who did join up. Thanks for posting them,

Cromwell, the Mother's Day poster is interesting, was it for a Commonwealth country? as the date is August 8th, whilst in this country it is always a date in March, i.e. Mothering Sunday a religious date connected to the date of Easter.

Sylvia I guess by the date that is an American Great War Poster which slipped through my net.

Rare Photo of the women of Brum doing their recruiting work, I bet a lot of these photo's were destroyed after the war

Great Spontaneous drawing done by a recruting officer from a recruting post they slept in overnight because they were that busy recruiting from early till late

The War Bond Campaign was needed to keep the war effort going as the country was fast going bankrupt borrowing vast amount of money from abroad to fund the war, thats why they started War Bonds and the Ad. below explains in a lot better. My Ma bought some in the WW2 but it was not till the late 50's till she had her money paid  back
Bottom Ad is a bit Strange as we had to have America's aid but this add tells people to not to buy their products

Bengers Food Ad showing a Red Cross Nurse with a small insert appealing for money for the Red Cross

Couple of Posters telling us to be patriotic and buy British and French Tyres (but the USA was on our side as well)

Here is a Great photo of a Kynock lorry outside the gates of the factory at witton before starting out to go to Cannon Hill Park to join in the muition worker parade  September 1918 Win the War Day(See Repy 52 )
Next pic shows a very rare Win The War Paper Pin
Bottom Pic shows a lorry from the Austin going to the parade

Two Posters which I think were in bad taste but there again a lot of the posters were

cromwell said:
Not a man when he joined up but he quickly grew up once in the army only to find out it was not suppose to be like this, not what he had been told. There was no Glory in Death and if you survived,you had to live with the terrible things you saw and the memories that never went away
Today I could take a good guess at that lads age which would be not a day over 16

index.php

I was just thinking that, Cromwell, as I was looking at the lad on the right...thinking how much he is built like my lad, who is 16 and even looks like him. :'(

I have found it incredibly upsetting looking through all this, partly because, on talking to my mom today, I learned that her dad was invalided out of WWI with trench foot, shell shock and had been gassed too.
As I said, elsewhere, he finished his days in Highcroft...I vaguely remember seeing him only once, I must have been about 3,(so in about '62) in a pushchair...he was in a wheelchair, and he must have died shortly after that. It was an open day/garden fete there I think.
My dad was on St. John ambulance brigade duty there. Wish I could remember more as he was the only grandparent I ever saw. :(

Mazbeth It was not my intention to upset folk but once I get on to a subject I like to root out the Truth the Lies and the Myth of what went on in the Great War............I have material that would shock you so I do not put it on...........once our Generation has gone most of it will all be lost in the mist's of time
I am very carefull what I write but you can only skirt around certain things......

oh no...please don't worry!!
it is good for me to fully realise what some have gone through in the past...
we all get so busy with other things, but as I get older I realise that there are things I should know about that I don't.
T.V. films just don't fill all the gaps in.
As my mom said to me today, ''it's funny but we didn't ask our parents enough questions about when they were younger.''
I know that's true...I can't ask my dad anymore (since '97) but me and mom are going to make up for lost time, and it was finding this forum that has sparked it all off.

Thank you for all you and the others do. O0 I am finding it more and more amazing as I get the time to have a good look around sections I haven't before.

Two more from the newspapers of the time,selling their wares by using the War in their advertising campaign

The Zeppelin was one of the greatest aids for recruitment in Engand, picture shows one flying over a recruitment meeting in 1915

This is the painting which appeared in the Graphic Dec 1916 which inspired all the "blinded for you" posters, title of the painting is "Home again" I was going to crop it but the bird is an important part of the painting (Great shot of the Hospital Blues the man is wearing)

The reason why I chop and change things and go to one subject to another is to keep the intrest in the subject
Which I never loose sight of.........
I have had a few E-mails of folk about the uniform and they cannot understand the equipment that is shown in a photo or the way the men are dressed for the date they know.....
And as this thread is Posters from the Great War.........Let me explain
Hundreds of thousands of men rushed to join the colours and equipment soon ran out, Boer war equipment was pressed into service and all the other old stocks, even military badges ran out (and that is why you see photo's with buttons on their caps instead of badges)
this photo is a good example as it shows two men wearing armbands (they had just joined up) the armband colour was Khaki Drab with a Red Crown ..........why are they wearing it ? they had nothing else to wear but they wanted to show they had joined the army (under the Derby Scheme ) and were waiting for a uniform
Photo shows the two men talking to a French Veteran

Back