• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Posters from the Great War

• Thread starter Thread starter O.C.
  • Start date Start date
O

O.C.

Lets see if this section proves as popular as the WW2 posters as I have just as many to post

Before the spitfire was born it was known for the pilots to drop bricks on the enemy planes in the early stages of the war then they progressed to dropping steel darts on the troops. 

Absolutely brilliant..I have a huge interest in World War one anyway...never forget.

Brilliant Cromwell, you just amaze me with all the info you have got and gained :smitten:
:flower: :cat:

As someone who has visited the Somme on and off for a number of years, I know the area quite well. So if anyone wants any advice on were to stay or what to see just drop me a line and I will be as honest as I can. I know were most of the cemeteries are and the areas were the battles that were fought.
I also know some great accommodation
if not enjoy the posters that are coming

Of the thousands of horses that were shipped to France in the Great War not one single horse came back

One of the most famous posters of the Great War, Lord Kitchener, and still selling well today

This is a page from The Graphic Newspaper dated Feb.26th 1916 saying about the need for war posters.
The first ones that were put up are shown below and I will shown you how they looked in colour in the next posting.
I have left it large format so you can read bits of it 

RECRUITING in Britain was now in full blast. The first hundred thousand had already been trained and many of them were on their way to the battlefield. The Government was now talking in millions. Ships were bringing men from all over the Dominions and the Colonies. Canadian units were in training camps and many more were being recruited. The War Posters were going up all over the British Empire.
Australians and New Zealanders were on their way. South Africa, too, was sending large contingents. The need for more and yet more men was seen when the first casualty lists were published. The total loss in killed and wounded was given in mid-November as fifty-seven thousand, and the worst of the Flanders fighting had yet to show its results.
This was the time when the name of Ypres first came into the news. "Wipers," of course, was what the British Tommy called it. But not only were men being trained all over Britain, in the many camps that had sprung up, with the intention of taking their place on the Western Front. Men were also being trained for the defence of Britain itself. Thousands enlisted in the Special Constabulary. There were also Volunteer Training Corps, which were recognised by the Government and War Office.
A great Red Cross service had also been formed. Women as well as men were offering themselves for every form of service. The Y.M.C.A. was appealing for funds for huts to make training camp life more comfortable. In every village women were forming parties for making socks and mufflers for the troops and so the great poster campaign was going full steam tackling every thing that wanted a bit of help to bring to the attention of the public the dire need for help in every corner of our Empire
The Suffragettes had formed their own very useful working corps, and day, after day troop trains were thundering to along the road to Southampton, where, the men boarded ships and were taken across the Channel to add to the great War of Attrition, as it was now known, that was taking place in Flanders and France.
Business as usual was the plea of the businessmen in Britain.
The shop windows of the City streets were full of the things which could be sent to troops in France. Occasionally mud-stained figures wearing those extraordinary fur coats of soldiers in the early days were to seen in the streets of London, taking a few hour's leave from the Western Front.
The war suddenly came to Britain in a devastating fashion. On December 16, 1914, German warships shelled Scarborough, Hartlepool and Whitby for some hours, killing over a hundred people. It was the first loss of civilian life in England, and it added violent fuel to the outcry about German atrocities. The people of Britain were now beginning to suffer what the Belgians had been describing to them.
The newspapers, which until then had been full of the photographs of the war at the front, were now filled with "Scenes of the English Bombardment" It seemed incredible that an English girl at Scarborough should be killed by Germans whilst cleaning the doorstep and that a British family of eight at Hartlepool should be slaughtered by Germans.
The Queens Hotel at Scarborough was very badly damaged. Ten thousand sightseers visited Scarborough to see with their own eyes the almost unbelievable wreckage of an English town by the guns of German ships.
Beside the 127 civilians killed there were 567 injured, in addition to 35 soldiers and sailors.
The result of this raid by the Germans on the English coast led to them being stigmatised by the newspapers as "Baby-killers." But this was only the beginning. The Germans were preparing a series of Zeppelin raids on this country which, later to be followed by aeroplane raids, were to bring terror and destruction in many of the big cities.
It was the early months of 1915 that brought the first Zeppelin raid at Yarmouth, Cromer and King's Lynn on January 20, on Tyneside and at Lowestoft in April, and at Southend in May.
Although it cannot be said that the Zeppelins that bombed England achieved anything of any great military value,It boost the recruitment campaign

"What did you do in the War Daddy " Poster to make you feel guilty. Clever Propaganda

Excellent Cromwell.....they got people's attention with those posters I'm sure. Thanks for
the series of posters that have appeared. I am enjoying seeing them very much. I think they are super I really do.

Not a poster but this was a large banner that went on the outside of recruiting stations

These posters would have planted a message in everyone's head back then. There was no
TV so these visual aids were very necessary and how good they were. Apart from the movie posters and the railway destination posters, both of which were mostly good although the print register was often off on the movie posters making the faces of the movie stars and the furniture in the shots reflect some very weird colours.

You are right Jennyann very psychological and brainwashing and all the romance came into being of the British Empire which made folk feel quite guilty if they did not ......GO
Most of the young lads had never been within a few miles of their home and to go abroad and fight in a war must have like drawing bees to honey. The Romance, Heroics and the Adventure of it all ,but after the Somme the reality of it all sank in. .............Tragic

I was not going to post this but as I started this thread it is the best place for it.
As it has allready appeared in a book I wrote on the Great War. The picture in question is the men queueing outside the recruiting office in Curzon St Birmingham in 1916 and I know the exact date as my Father was their and joined up on that day I have cropped the photo a bit but there is over 40 War posters on the walls.This is the day the Royal Welsh Fusiliers came to town with the goat and band and VC winner Dwyer on a recruiting drive out of the 100's that joined up only two came back at the end of the war and our Pa was one of them
Bottom pic is what the crowd were waiting to see on October 25th 1915 The band of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers lead by the mascot "Billy" Inset is Maj Barter who won the VC at Festubert who was also there
During that week band played at the Town Hall and at various recruiting stations in Birmingham

Two  of the posters that appeared on the walls in the post above
Curzon Hall later had a new front but retained the shape of the original windows and became The West End Theatre in 1920

The relentless propaganda that was aimed at the men (and youth) to join up was never ending in the poster campaign, and I think it reached a new low when children were used to make men feel guilty if they did not enlist.
This rare photo shows two of the boards held up by the children, one says
Remember The Slaughter Boys and Girls for Belgium
and the other says
My Dad's at the Front Where is your's ?

Not a man when he joined up but he quickly grew up once in the army only to find out it was not suppose to be like this, not what he had been told. There was no Glory in Death and if you survived,you had to live with the terrible things you saw and the memories that never went away
Today I could take a good guess at that lads age which would be not a day over 16

Cromwell you have such a wonderful collection of posters and other memorabilia you could mount an exhibition. The items you have posted over the various war topics are better than I have seen elsewhere. Well done.

I remember as a child the hall of the Junior Section of Burlington Street School was lined with posters, probably just postwar, ones I can recall vividly were the "Austerity" posters.

Sylvia, Glad I got ya intrested,I am trying to show them in a way that's not been done before to make them more intresting than the average poster show, my way.
Some of the messages are what I think a bit of a puzzle to work out
Take this one for instance, is it to the make the men enlist in the army ? or is it to make the women take up nursing ? or is it to say, One does not go without the other one ? or Teamwork?
It gives out the wrong kind of message anyhow, thats what I think

Great photos as usual Cromwell...The messages are certainly mixed in some of the posters.
The one with the nurse and soldier sends a different message altogether imho but sex sells and sold back then I am sure even in that subtle disguise. The photographs of all the men lining up outside of the recruitment office says so much. I think there would have been so much pressure to sign up if you fitted the correct demographics required and your friends and neighbours would have been on at you if you didn't show willing to sign up especially after the hearing that so many soldiers had been killed or injured.
That soldier having the medical looks like my Uncle William would have looked.
He was killed in September 1915. I think it must have be agonizing for families who had already lost sons to see all the posters and action at recruitment places. However, the safety of the British people was at stake and so off they went these soldiers.

Back