• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

poppy day....

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all....ive changed my avitar for the next couple of weeks to commemorate rememberance sunday...its just my way of showing respect and remembering all our fallen heroes during the 2 world wars and more recently to those who have lost their lives in afghanistan..if any one would like to do the same either now or nearer rememberance sunday please feel free to copy my poppy....

lyn..:)

I go along with that. What a marvellous idea Astoness. Why don't we ALL do in for the next fortnight?

i was hoping some of you may feel like that as we must NEVER forget those who gave so much and are still doing so...

cheers...

lyn:)

great stuff ray..dont worry about being confused..im like it most days...:D if the trend continues we will soon have our very own field of poppies on the forum...

lyn

Confusion and “anonymity” for two weeks is a ridiculously small price to pay for the respect the lost of millions of human lives deserves. We always have our user names; they gave and lost everything.
[Hello there David - thought you were upset because I stuck my tongue out at you !!?!]

well i dont mind being anonymous for a couple of weeks.. and confusement comes natural to me:rolleyes:...thanks all for your support so far...lets keep it going....:thumbsup:

lyn

Last edited:
With you all the way Lyn, thank you for promoting this idea

icon14.gif

Mike

I shall carry on putting the same picture I used last year at the end of each post.

My Wife and I will be out in our village in the morning on the knocker with the poppies, we usually do very well, people do care especially in these times.

hi darby..good luck with the poppy selling..every one counts and thanks to all who have changed their avitars in support of rememberance day....:thumbsup:

Hi Lyn like your poppy but will do mine own thing - as usual.

Very commendable Lyn and to all who followed suit. Bit to complicated for me to change but I assure you the sentiment is there. Perhaps this is the right place for me to rewrite my poem for those who missed it when I put it in the wrong place.

HE'LL NOT BE FORGOT

Tommy was no hero. he was just a boy,
He wasn't even old enough, his mothers pride and joy.
He went and joined the army and lied about his age,
So they sent him to the front line upon a soldiers wage.

Through the thunder of the big guns, the fields had turned to mud,
and the screaming of men dying almost froze his blood.
He couldn't see the glory, he had to hide his fear,
and for what he saw around him, he often shed a tear.

"Forward"! came the order, the morning was still dark,
As he climbed the ladder a bullet found its mark.
He lay there in his sorrow, for he was soon to die,
His final thoughts of Mom annd Dad, his parting words were "Why"?

For Tommy was no hero, he wasn't even brave.
As a sacrifice for freedom, his life he sadly gave.
And for what the men like Tommy did, we should all remember
Every day of every year and not just in November.

In a cemetary he lies at peace. White marble marks the spot
and many years have come and gone but he'll not be forgot.
A life for every poppy leaf, we sadly watch them fall.
For Tommy's life had reason, - "THE FREEDOM OF US ALL"

thank you chocks...ive just got my tissues out...wonderful words...and this is the perfect place for it...

lyn

one more poppy for our field - thanks Lyn, a lovely idea.... AND I managed to do it ....Never had a picture by my name before.
Polly

Sorry - don't know how to change to a poppy - but I have knitted a poppy with others at my craft morning at Michell's Center. A photo will be in the Sutton Observer next week [think] - so far we 'knitters' have made over £600.oo for Charity. Miriam.

Miriam thats great. I used to crochet them but have long lost the pattern:(. Will look out for it in the paper. Jean.

miriam how wonderful.....you should all give yourselves a pat on the back and be very proud of your acheivement...i shall try and get hold of the sutton news next week...

lyn..:):)

Well done Miriam and all concerned. I hope someone will post the article.:)

that would be a nice idea wend...by the way have you noticed that jim has got a bigger one than the rest of us.....poppy that is...:D:D

lyn

Back