• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Plans for Digbeth/Highgate area

I always thought the alternative "City Park 4 Brum" plan was better. It also made a feature of the River Rea and also the moat of the old Birmingham castle. It had shops and housing but a bit more green space and a lot of buildings repurposed rather than being knocked down. Shame it was rejected . It always seemed strange to me that the plan the council adopted had a lot of "enclosed" buildings with courtyard spaces or gardens inside them. The cynic in me thought they might be targeted at companies and people enticed up from London by the HS2 rail line but shutting ordinary Brummies out .

Heres a link to the old, rejected, citypark4brum plan.

Picture of the River Rea towards the Custard Factory Digbeth, it is a pity most of the Rea in the central Birmingham/ Digbeth is in culverts and hidden from view, hopefully the development of Digbeth will include the river as a natural feature

Source historicengland.org.uk
'fraid not. The usual brain-dead brummie council ill thought out scheme.

Back