• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

pics from old brummagem mags

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks. as posted earlier i have a few copies of old brummagem mags although they were not called that then they are still by carl chinn. so i thought you may like to see a few selected pics of streets taken out of them. i will post 2 today and a few more tomorrow if you think its a good idea. maybe some members may find them of interest. they are both taken out of a 1996 mag. this 1st one is of 2 women having a friendly chat over th fence. it was taken in vaughton street.

this one is number 10 court cheapside. house numbers 6 to 14. hope these are turning out ok as the quality of paper used on the old mags is not as good as it is now. wales.

Thanks for posting these photos, Wales. Look fine so far. The older photo shows the tenants of those homes looking so well turned out overall. I don't know how they managed it at times. The one of the two ladies chatting with the little boy is very typical of the times and is a great photo.

thanks jenny. there are one or 2 pics that show the other side of the coin. the squalor and conditions were not good at all. i went to a slide and dvd show a few months ago all about the back to back houses and i am not ashamed to admit i was reduced to tears. anyway im just sorting out a couple more pics to post. wales.

last one for today folks. this is the clock tavern at the bottom of ashted row just before bloomsbury street. wales.

The clock tavern, nice photograph I had almost forgotten the place.
Those people on the bombed photograph certainly don't look defeated.

glad its stired up some memories for you. when i have time i will be posting a few more from the old brummagems. wales.

ray. i always marvel at the pics i have seen and the stories i have read. even though probably full of despair grief and anguish how folk pulled themselves through the wars years god only knows. i have nothing but admiration for them. i hope to post a few more sometime tomorrow. wales.

thanks mike. i am just taking more pics out of the mags so i may get some on later. lyn

Lyn. I think this is going to become a very popular thread, so keep them coming. I for one will have a keen interest in you posts.

hi everyone. as promised a few more pics from the old brum mags. please excuse the quality as i have said before the paper quality on the old mags is not that good. pic 1 is a cafe in suffolk st situated facing gough st possably where the front entrance to the alexanra theatre is.

God Lyn - I haven't heard that expression for years, 'Mock'. It brings back lovely memories, thanks.

keith (sorry Mayfield)

pic 4. a court yard in hurst st. i have visited the back to backs in hurst st. the only surviving ones in the country as far as i know. i realy do recommend a visit. hope these are ok wales.

Wales, pic.l8 corner of Park Lane/Potters Hill was what I always thought was a bomb site, it never had that shop there in my childhood and for years it had a large hoarding on the site, so perhaps it was early rather than late 1940s.

hi sylvia. you could be right then as the mags dont always get the dates right. well spotted. wales.

morning all....just picked up this thread again....i will be staying indoors most of the day (its getting to hot for me) so i will be going through some old brummagem mags i bought at the history fair a few weeks ago to see if there are any pics in them worth posting....ttfn

lyn

You are right about the heat. I've not been able to take the mrs out all week, its far to hot for her. My laptop has been doing funny things aswell, but using the big'un means I can play around with pictures better.Dont work to hard and keep cool...arkrite

hi all....sorted a couple out...i like these as they are of summer lane and they are for some reason difficult to find....

pic 1 the man and lady on the left are outside the three horseshoes pub...with the bartons arms in the distance...

summer lane.....the quality of these pics is not too good owing to the paper used in the older brummagem mags..

how well i remember coming down park lane aston on the no 8 bus most friday afternoons in the summer....used to meet my aunt from work then off to her caravan for the weekend...she worked at tubes...happy days...

Great pics Lyn, particularly like the Park Lane one. I was 8 when I left Parliament Street and moved to Washwood Heath but remember the cake shop at the bottom where Aunt Gladys would buy me a viennese whirl (the cake with the bit of jam in the middle).

Would catch the No. 8 to go back home after stopping with my aunt during the week-ends.

Many thanks, John

Back