• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Photo Help Please

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Is there anyone who can suggest doing something with the background of this photo please? I need to use the road sign for a presentation and I'm doubtful about including someone's house in the picture. Any help gratefully received!

Thank you,

PennyOld Road Sign.jpg

Lady P, I notice the sign has 23 on it. We had that on our road sign indicating Erdington, and the PO changed it to B6 and placed us in Witton.
Insurance for both cars and houses doubled and we then had a 5 year fight to restore us back.

Lady P, I notice the sign has 23 on it. We had that on our road sign indicating Erdington, and the PO changed it to B6 and placed us in Witton.
Insurance for both cars and houses doubled and we then had a 5 year fight to restore us back.
Ah the insurance companies, don’t you love them! They’re only there when you do need them, but wait until you do!

Thank you photosym, everyone's been really helpful - as usual. I never expected to find an old sign and was thrilled when I saw it.

Talking about the sign itself - I am really puzzled as I thought this road was only named 'Baldmore Lake' when the Topcroft Estate was built in the 1960's. The whole of the estate was built on a site previously occupied by allotments and the only explanation I can think of is that this was the road that led from Goosemoor Lane. I will investigate further.

Pedrocut, the council have made several attempts to 'tidy up' our road into Erdington. I am an Erdington girl at heart but I know that we will suffer the same fate with insurance as you mention if this happens.

Pedrocut, the name Baldmore Lake appears on quite a few maps of the area and I think some of the land was where the lake was allowed to flood the land to act as fertiliser. It's been some time since I did the research so I will have to do some revising. I had a lot of support from the forum, as usual.

Morturn, I've been in touch with Gary on the Goosemoor Lane website and he is of the opinion that the sign dates from the 1930's but I only remember allotments so whether this was a road leading there or what I don't know. We used to go through the park to the garage on the far corner of Goosemoor Lane (once a farmhouse) to get paraffin for our 'Valour' stove.

I think maybe the red '23' could be a clue to the date as Erdington was only taken into Birmingham in the early 20thC. I wonder if any of our history buffs know when these numbers first appeared?

Thanks again for your input.

Pedrocut, the name Baldmore Lake appears on quite a few maps of the area and I think some of the land was where the lake was allowed to flood the land to act as fertiliser. It's been some time since I did the research so I will have to do some revising. I had a lot of support from the forum, as usual.

Morturn, I've been in touch with Gary on the Goosemoor Lane website and he is of the opinion that the sign dates from the 1930's but I only remember allotments so whether this was a road leading there or what I don't know. We used to go through the park to the garage on the far corner of Goosemoor Lane (once a farmhouse) to get paraffin for our 'Valour' stove.

I think maybe the red '23' could be a clue to the date as Erdington was only taken into Birmingham in the early 20thC. I wonder if any of our history buffs know when these numbers first appeared?

Thanks again for your input.
The Council had a few of those signes holders spare and did install one on our road quite recntly.

Back