• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Photo booths of Birmingham

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Remember them, still some around today. Until photo booths came along, you used to have to go to a photographer to get a passport photo. But photo booths changed all that. And how often did you nip into a photo booth on a trip to town to have a photo with your mates ? Usually it meant you all cramming into the small booth and pulling silliest of faces.

The booths today are good at fast drying your photos, but the ones of my younger days took a long time to dry, they were very sticky and you had to carry them around wafting them through the air to dry them off.

This is a booth in 1967 which I think might have been on New Street Station, although could be wrong. I bet the girls have had their photos done and are waiting for them to drop out of the machine

Screenshot_20240911_131031_Chrome.jpg

I remember there was one in the 60s Bull Ring, I think it was at the bottom of the escalator which went up from the New Street end. A friend and I squeezed in to have a photo taken of us both!

Seeing this reminded me of the time me & my two mates went up town. While we were there we recorded a flimsy plastic record in a booth that resembled that shown. "Bits and Pieces" by The Dave Clark Five was the song of choice and we had great fun recording it. Even 60 years later, I can still see us banging on the side of the booth for the beat.

Seeing this reminded me of the time me & my two mates went up town. While we were there we recorded a flimsy plastic record in a booth that resembled that shown. "Bits and Pieces" by The Dave Clark Five was the song of choice and we had great fun recording it. Even 60 years later, I can still see us banging on the side of the booth for the beat.
Yes! I can remember there was a booth were you could record yourself singing.
That's great :D have you still got it?!

A rather grubby photo booth snap of mom and me probably taken in town as we lived in Garrison Lane at the time. Unfortunately I don't have a date but I was born in the summer of 1956 if you can guess my age. You don't see many of those knitted balaclava with shoulders any more.

Ruby&Robert.jpg

Back