• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Phipps from Birmingham

D

davelut

Phipps

Three brothers came to helensburgh many years ago, set up a car dealership/garage, one died, but the other two, Keith and Frank are now in the Aberdeen area as far as I know.

Hi there is a Phipps packaging in Aldridge they have been there for a very long time I have lived in Aldridge for over fourty years and they was here and established then I believe they came from Birmingham it's an unusual name so there could be some connection I will try and find out

Hi

I have a Harriet Phipps who married a William Allcott in 1862.

Would she be in your time scale?

Kross

Phipps in Birmingham

Hi
I served with a Bernard Phipps in B'ham Police, may still be living somewhere in the Erdington area.

chatwin said:
Phipps
Looking for any Phipps from Birmingham.

Hi there,

I knew an Alan Phipps from the Brookfields area in the 1960s. For a long time he was Bandmaster of 1st Brookfields Scout Group.

Dave

I was born in Aston in 1953. Many of my family, aunts, cousins Grandparents also lived there. My Grandmother kept an off licence in Clifton Road and her sister married a Phipps. They had everal children some of whom are still alive.

Not sure if any of this information helps you.

:?:

John

The surname you referred to "Welch" doesn't mean anything to me. However, what a coincidence - your surname Harper. My grandmothers maiden name was Harper.

I was at Burlington St. school in Aston, in the 60's with a Suzanne Phipps. (She must have been the same age as me...born '59)
She lived (in the week) with her nan in a house round the back of us. (Her parents came weekends?)
We lived in Parliament St.
The name of the road she lived in began with C. but I can't remember it.

what number did you live at in Parliament Street we were at 1/15 Houghton my Mom lived there into the 60's and then moved to Sparkbrook South Road we have many pictures of the pupils of Burlington Street school covering quite a few years and we have ex pupils on the Forum

we lived at 49 Parliament St. My mom lived there from 1930, when she was born (Elsie Brislin) :)
When she married dad (John Orr) in '56, who had come from Dublin, they carried on living there...
We left in '69.

Mazbeth, the Suzanne you remember was actually Suzanne PHILLIPS and she lived in Copeley Street, her parents are
Maurice and Brenda (nee Wallin). They were at the Barn last Sunday evening. Grandma was Mrs. Wallin. My son Michael used to play with her and Lynne Storer also from Copeley Street.

Hello: Here are 2 WW1 Canadian Expeditionary Soldiers born in Birminham. You can view the original attestation papers online.
Regards
Isobel

https://data4.collectionscanada.ca/...anada.ca/archivianet/02010602_e.html&r=32&f=G

Names: PHIPPS , HORACE HERBERT Regimental number: 748032 Reference: RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 7806 - 39
farmer, born Birmingham - July 14th, 1899, N.O.K. (?William) Phipps
enlisted: Sherbrooke, Quebec
--------------
https://data4.collectionscanada.ca/...anada.ca/archivianet/02010602_e.html&r=17&f=G
Soldiers of the First World War

Names: PHIPPS , FREDERICK THOMAS
Regimental number: 135822
Reference: RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 7806 - 24
Baker, born Birmingham, Dec. (?26) 1880 NOK wife - ?Ellen Phipps
enlisted: Toronto, Ontario

---------------------------
British Home Children sent over to Canada

https://data4.collectionscanada.ca/...canada.ca/archivianet/02011003_e.html&r=0&f=S
Home Children
Search terms : " : 2=1 : 1=PHIPPS.SUR. : " References: 1 - 12 of 12

Surname Given name Age Sex Ship Year of arrival

1 PHIPPS Alfred 10 M SS Vancouver 1889
2 PHIPPS Annie Amelia F SS Polynesian 1882
3 PHIPPS Beatrice 16 F SS Bavarian 1905
4 PHIPPS Charles 13 M SS Parisian 1882
5 PHIPPS Edward 25 M SS Texas 1887
6 PHIPPS Emily 12 F SS Scandinavian 1916
7 PHIPPS Fred 18 M Corsican 1913
8 PHIPPS H 18 M Bavarian 1903
9 PHIPPS Horace 14 M SS Alsatian 1914
10 PHIPPS Joseph 19 M SS Circassian 1873
11 PHIPPS William 13 M SS Siberian 1905
12 PHIPPS William 11 M SS Scandinavian 1916

sylviasayers said:
Mazbeth, the Suzanne you remember was actually Suzanne PHILLIPS

Oh thanks Sylvia...I could have sworn it was 'Phipps'...but it was ages ago :)

They were at the Barn last Sunday evening. Grandma was Mrs. Wallin. My son Michael used to play with her and Lynne Storer also from Copeley Street.

yes, I used to play with Lynne and Suzanne...so I must have known Michael too.

HI
I KNEW A ROY PHIPPS WHO LIVED IN PASSEY ROAD MOSELEY HE HAD A BROTHER KEN AND HIS FATHER USED TO HAVE THE LITTLE WOODSHOP ON THE BRIDGE IN WOODCOCK LANE ACOCKS GREEN THE LAST I HEARD ROY WAS AN AA PATROL MAN IN STOURBRIDGE.
JOHNEDWARD SWANSEA

Family living at 10 back of 90 Lichfield Road in 1960s were called Phipps, had a daughter called Tina who would be late 40s now

Back