• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Perrywell Road container depot (from BBCTV Gangsters 1975)

M

mstephens

Some more shots from the 1975 Play for Today "Gangsters". Both the play and the 2 subsequent series made extensive use of locations in and around Birmingham and I am working my way through them. Check my posts elsewhere on this forum for more locations.

This is towards the end of the Play for Today where Kline and Khan have been taken to a container depot to be "disposed of" somewhere at sea.

I think I've finally tied this location down to the site now occupied by Chambers and Cook in Perrywell Road, Witton just off the M6, north of Spaghetti Junction.

Peeking out above the Rolls in the third pic is the spire of the church in Witton Cemetery.

I assume the cooling towers in the background of the last pic belong to the Nechells Power Station.

This is another shot showing a power station supposedly on the route taken by the container truck delivering illegal immigrants to the depot.

Unlike a lot of TV and films, they seem to have used "real" distance between locations ( i.e. not like Brookside where the shops adjacent to the estate were actually several miles away) and this was a few minutes away.

It looks very similar to a 70s shot of Nechells I found on the BCN website ( I would include a link but the site seems to have vanished today)

I'm sure you are right Ms having had a rest and looking things up and to think I spent time looking for that Canal Barge the other day for you good job I didn't find it I might have said it was the QE 2.

Back