• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

PC Thomas Hardy

Steve R

master brummie
Hello all
This post concerns PC Thomas Hardy who died in the line of duty in 1872. I wandered if anybody could help me to identify the location where the incident took place. I know it was at an Ale & Porter store and that the building was in Bristol Street Birmingham. 1872.

Thomas Hardy originally trained as a blacksmith. He then enlisted in the 1st Dragoon Guards where he served 10 years before purchasing his discharge. After that he joined the Birmingham City Police where he served 22 years. On the 29th January 1872, PC Hardy left the home where he lived with his wife Eliza and went on night duty. She probably bade him farewell in the usual manner, completely unaware that this would be the last occasion she would be able to hold a normal conversation with him.

At PC Hardy's inquest, it was reported that the manageress of an ale and porter store, Mary Ann Bull, had felt the need to call for a policeman after a customer, Patrick Grady, became violent and abusive. PC Hardy subsequently entered and tried to talk Grady into leaving quietly as he knew the man. Grady refused to leave and continued creating a disturbance, so Hardy left to fetch assistance. Bull reported that Grady immediately followed him and she heard him say "I will let the old ____ know what I know about him".

PC Hardy was shortly after carried back into the premises insensible and with an injury to his nose and blood coming from his ear. A medical gentleman who was present stated he should go to the Queen's Hospital immediately so he was taken there. Grady did not return. Another witness saw Hardy leave the stores, following by another man who pulled something out of his coat pocket and struck the constable with it. The policeman fell, the man ran away and the witness helped to carry PC Hardy inside. Several persons said PC Hardy had been hit with a knuckleduster but this witness felt it might have been a hammer.

PC Hardy's wife Eliza visited him in hospital on the 30th January and he was reported to be very ill and delirious, failing to recognise her. He remained in hospital for about seven weeks at which point he was deemed recovered enough to go home. Eliza stated he never became rational, but grew gradually worse - being removed for the Borough Lunatic Asylum 23rd March 1872, where he died on 2nd April 1872. A verdict of manslaughter was delivered against Grady.

Can anybody help me identify location

Sources:
West Midlands Police Museum records

Birmingham Daily Post 8th April 1872

Ancestry - Lunacy Patients Admission Registers, 1846-1912

hi steve i am sure a few of us would like to help find the location..we know it was in bristol st date 1872..cant be certain if mary ann bull was just the manageress or owned the store which may not have had a proper name as it seems it was not a pub

do you have thomas hardys year of birth ?

lyn

Hello Astoness
We do not have an exact DOB just circa 1819 he was reportedly 53/54 when he died dependant on which documents you read. Mary Ann lived at 241 Bristol Street according to a newspaper clipping but adds she ran the ale and Porter store i that street it doesn't say its the same building? I was hoping and old map might help out or business directory but I'm sure the building will be gone by now so need a overlay an old map with whats there now i guess.
Steve R

Last edited:
you probably have this steve but hes living in ladywood on the 61 census and newtown row on the 71 census..born derbyshire

lyn

steve the numbering changed in 1883 what was no 241 bristol st became no 12..here are 2 maps...the 2nd one dated 1880 showing the position of no 241 the 1st map from 1950 showing it as no 12 after the re numbering..also below is a street view showing a furnishing shop which is numbered 10 to 12...i would say that the when the beer house was demolished it was replaced by the furnishing building..not very good at dates but at a guess it was probably built 1930s..however i will check my photos to see if i have any views of that stretch taken before the beer house was demolished hope this help...thanks to mikejee for the maps

lyn

thumbnail - 2024-06-12T180839.110.jpegthumbnail - 2024-06-12T180824.505.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello all
I note the directory say it was a beer house in 1873 but does anyone have access to ancestry and can tell me on the census who was living at 241 Bristol street around that time before and after that date?
I am going to ask for consideration for the Police Memorial Trust to have a plaque at or near the location and they will want every details to confirm everything is correct. so the more information I can give then the better.

Steve R

Hello all
I note the directory say it was a beer house in 1873 but does anyone have access to ancestry and can tell me on the census who was living at 241 Bristol street around that time before and after that date?
I am going to ask for consideration for the Police Memorial Trust to have a plaque at or near the location and they will want every details to confirm everything is correct. so the more information I can give then the better.

Steve R

hi steve i am sure someone will have a look for you but have you tried the newspaper archives yet as the incident may give the name of who ran/owned the beer house?

lyn

Lyn post 1 said manageress Mary AnnBull but I don't think she lived there.

yes i know jan thats why i wondered if a landlord was listed..so its looking as though mary ann bull was the manageress/landlady if you like but lived elsewhere...could be the best we can do...unless the 1881 census is any good to steve or maybe the directories for 1873/4 could give a name

Last edited:
Back