• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

paxton road hockley lodge hill

morris

master brummie
does anyone remember paxton road and the little houses at the back i cant remember the name my relations lived there winnie andf jimmy davies and her sister cissie nee benton my name is ann hughes formely benton

hi morris
whereis paxton rd lodge hill rd is that the paxton rd in ward end
also is there any connection to a mary ann hughes any relatives
best wishes astonian ;;

hi astonian, thanks for information. i am doing research on behalf of my sister in law. She is no relative of mary ann hughes,her maiden name is benson. She says its not the road in ward end . many thanks reg

Hiya Morris
I remember the road and houses really well ..the houses looked onto our school playground (All Saints School) ..sorry i didnt know any of the people ...I think some of the road is still there..PS it's lodge Road not Hill

Last edited:
hi astonian imm ann hugea siser in law of morrs asking about paxton road. my grandmother and her two daughters lived there but i as just a child can remeber going up an entry s i tkinh at te back of paxton road to two rows of houses facing each other. my aunty cissie hines nee benton used to take me down the flats for shopping am i right? i am trying to do my family tree

many thanks ann hughes new brummie

My mother lived on Paxton Road during the war, with my grandmother whilst my grandad was off fighting.
Attached is the only picture I have, sorry it is poor quality, but at least you can see the front of a couple of houses. That's my mom, Joan Hinks in the gate, her mother was Violet Hinks. They lived there until about 1946/7.View attachment 54856P8060227.JPG

Last edited:
Wow Adrian thanks so much for posting that pic ..that is just how the houses were in the very early 60s i remember them. so well Paxton Road was a very small road .with houses all the way up on the right hand side ..the houses only went up halfway on the left then you had a big brick wall with the playground of All Saints school behind it judging the house in your pic i would think that was opposite the school

hi adrian its a while ago that i was asking about paxton road i was a youngster my grandmother lived there and my dad sisters winnie davies nee benton husband jimmy cissie hines and winnies daughter rita davies lived in the house across from them i remember walking up a narrow entry to get to these two rows of housesand my aunt cissie takeing me down the flats
to the shops just wondered if they r still there your mon and grandmother must have known them it was a small area i was born 1942 great picture i used to like to go down the celler to put the money in the meter.
ann hughes

HELLO ANN
Just browsing through opld forum threads on this subject of mary ann hughes
now i have learnt the paxton rd is or was by lodge rd hockley and as i have had a aunty and cousins living
on virtulay the flat in ford street and knowing what i beleive information given to me about my grand fathers brother also living on the flat many years ago around the same time of your grand mother i only presume this
at the moment and i m trcking this mary ann hughes for a long time
i o have death date for her ; but i have also just been given a marrige date which i have to send off for
i know you said you was young at the time of your grand mother being alive
and i know it may be possible you may or not have a death date from your grand mother
so i was wondering whether or not you do have one could i get a cross date from you if you have one or not
which would help veryify whether or not there was connections
but not to worry if not i will send the marrige date off which i have been given and i hope that will give me all my questions the answers ; many thanks ann for taking the time in reading this request
and have your self a nice day ; best wishes astonion ;;

I remember Paxton Road very well, I lived opposite that in Abby Street, I went to All Saints School in1948 to 1953, a` Mrs. Walker was the head teacher. I some friends in Paxton Road, David Yates, Allen Spooner, this any help to you..............Ernie.

I remember Paxton Road very well, I lived opposite that in Abby Street, I went to All Saints School in1948 to 1953, a` Mrs. Walker was the head teacher. I some friends in Paxton Road, David Yates, Allen Spooner, this any help to you..............Ernie.

thanks ernie but i would not know anyone in paxton road i would be to young only my rellations on my dads side interesting to know the name of the school i wonder if it would have been my dads school might not he was born in 1903 and as yet dont know how old he would be when he lived in that area many thanks
ann

hi astonian imm ann hugea siser in law of morrs asking about paxton road. My grandmother and her two daughters lived there but i as just a child can remeber going up an entry s i tkinh at te back of paxton road to two rows of houses facing each other. My aunty cissie hines nee benton used to take me down the flats for shopping am i right? I am trying to do my family tree

many thanks ann hughes new brummie
hi ann looking at your letter about paxton road i use to live in the house in front of your grandmother mrs benton & cissie hines and your other aunt who was mrs davies was two house away and had a son alfie davies our house was on thr front of paxton road your grandmother was at the back of ours i am graham taylor now living in licfield

Looking at this thread, I think you will find that it was Miss Cole who was the headteacher at All Saints School and not a Mrs Walker.

hi graham thanks for your info the bentons are my fathers side winnie davies was my dads twin m mother died when i was 7 and i only remember my grandmotheras very old and ill i never new cissies husband and winnie had two daughters phylis and rita my sister was phylis's bridesmaid i think rita lived in one of those houses opposite winnie and phylis moved to prefabs in great barr and when she died winnie went to a masionett in great barr when the prefabs were pulled down and died there were u friends with the family and does that area still exist

hi Ann
I'm Rita's daughter. winnie and jim davis were my nan and grandad.sadley mom and phylis have passed on but there brother alf is still with us.i,ve a photo of phylis's wedding. would like to know what happened to cisses husband as no one seems to know?

hi just got your message so sorry to hear rita has passed away i lost her address and new she lived in witton lodge road i would love to see and photos u have saddley i never met aunt cissi,s husband i dont go on forum much now but would love to keep in touch i live in polesworth tamworth if its possible to do i can put my phone no ina message i dont know if personal details are allowed hope u get in touch

Back