• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paternoster Lifts

GeorgieG

master brummie
Pater noster lift

man-engine.jpg
An early Pater Noster .....???? A Man Engine in our Cornish Mines...

Georgie

Judy ,The Birmingham Dental Hospital has a paternoster lift too.As part of student induction we had to show them that it was not dangerous to travel over the top or through the pit at the bottom,this meant sending them two at a time over the top .Judging by the screams it was better than a funfair ride,however it was a regular prank by the students to prevent someone getting off at the last landing before the pit and then hitting the emergency stop button so stopping the lift trapping the victims until we could carry out a release.The lift was out of use for six month when someone tried to take a chair on and got it stuck the wooden car was wrecked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternoster

Colin

When I went for an interview in l972 at the Dental Hospital. I saw those paternoster lifts but refused to try and get on board. I took the stairs. People were jumping on and off ok but I didn't like the idea and was nervous about my interview.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Colin - Your poor students!!! Makes me shudder just to think of getting trapped on one of those things, let alone having to travel over the top and through the pit!!!

RE steelhoue lane

hello. Paternosta lifts, Paternosta is latin for our farther,is it not. Does that mean you have to say a prayer before getting on the lift? name deleted

Last edited:
I remember the paternoster lifts at the old Aston University. You had to jump on and off pretty quickly!

I was told that one male student thought they were a good way to look up girl's skirts, but then had damage to his nose when it got hit by them

Judy, I worked at Aston University and remember the paternoster lifts - very precarious ! The ones in the South Wing were eventually bricked up. I imagine they were considered a safety hazard.

I think I remember my father talking about the lifts, he wasn't a student or staff member but happened to see them one day he was in town with my Godfather - not sure if they actually tried them out!

There's no way you would get me on anything like that!!

I remember them well, if you stayed on they would take you over the top and down again. I maintained their telephone system during my service with PO Telephones (now BT) and used them 2 or 3 times a week, even with my step ladders. Great fun, this was round the 60's. Eric

Lucas Great King Street also had Paternoster lifts in 1959 & 1960. As I moved south the following January, I don't know how long they lasted.

Maurice

I was at Gosta Green in the early 1960s. First Birmingham College of Advanced Technology and then it became The University of Aston in Birmingham. I certainly remember the lifts but did not suffer any injuries or "go over the top". If I remember rightly, the main refectory was on the 6th floor so you certainly needed a rapid elevation system to get to lunch. Dave.

I think they were still there in the early 2000s. No idea if they were later replaced with modern lifts though.

Muirhead Tower is at the University of Birmingham and not Aston University Viv.

Thanks Ell. These lifts seem to be turning up in different places. So shall change the thread title. Viv.

No one has mentioned if they were any more dependable than conventional lifts. Anyone know?

Maurice

Lucas Great King Street also had Paternoster lifts in 1959 & 1960. As I moved south the following January, I don't know how long they lasted.

Maurice
Those at Great King Street were still in use in 1966 i recall, dreadful things they were...

As Aston engineering students in 1969/73 who should have known better, we found it very funny to play sardines and overload the Paternosters and/or hold people in on top floor so they went over the top and when they were there, trigger the emergency stop switch (operated by pulling the board below the standing platform towards you). We used to go over the top regularly, a bit worrying the first time but just noisy and wobbly. Oh to be young and stupid again !

They also had them at the old North Birmingham polytechnic, which subsequently evolved into Birmingham City University. They were in the big block, opposite the One Stop Shopping Centre. I think the building is now empty, as the campus has moved to East Side. They weren't particularly enjoyable to use, and you had to be pretty quick off the mark in order to jump on or off.

I have used the ones at North Birmingham polytechnic and Gosta Green, there were also some in the now empty Dental Hospital, only for the staff and students.

That was what was the University of Central England in Perry Barr (later Birmingham City University - City North Campus).

Yes, it changed from polytechnic to university while I was there studying, around 1991/2

I almost went to the UCE in 2001 (but would have been at Millennium Point). Ended up at the Manchester equivalent MMU (Manchester Metropolitan University).

Although think my Sixth Form College took me to Perry Barr around 2000 (I think was a long time ago now).

Seem to recall also going into Aston University around the same time period.

I was at Gosta Green in the early 1960s. First Birmingham College of Advanced Technology and then it became The University of Aston in Birmingham. I certainly remember the lifts but did not suffer any injuries or "go over the top". If I remember rightly, the main refectory was on the 6th floor so you certainly needed a rapid elevation system to get to lunch. Dave.
I remember the patternoster lifts too from the early 1960's - College of Commerce - not sure that I'd be quick enough or agile enough now!

Back