• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Hear hear Richie. Now, not sure if this old favourite has made an appearance here on this Thread, but this is another golden atmospheric oldie...captioned THE GATES. And the author, our old friend joseph McKenna writes "Leading off from No 6 SPICEAL STREET there was a narrow alley. At its centre there was an archway from which hung two gates. 'The Gates' is recorded in the Birmingham Rate Book of 1728, and Samuel Bradford shows it in his map of 1750 (enclosed). Sometime after 1780 the passage was absorbed into Spiceal Street and the original name forgotten."

Trouble with the accompanying photo though is the little girl is dressed quite 'modern' (circa early 1940s?), and I doubt this alley lasted after the Bull Ring and markets development of the late 1800s. I expect it has been discussed already on the Forum, and I bet mikejee and Phil have an opinion....but it's a great shot nonetheless...and if not Spiceal St..where was it taken??? Dated 1780 over the arch...

The Gates Spiceal Street.jpg

Last edited:
My comments before were (pause as he shuffles (he is suffering from a touch of gout at present) through files) then:
It is shown in 1890 below in red. The only mention of a name I can find is on the 1778 map, where it is called the Gates. It doesn't seem to be there in 1553, and seems to be the back entrance of the Nelson hotel in the early 19th century, and similar to the fish market in the later 19th century.

map_c_1890_passageway_off_spiceal_st_A~0.jpg

To add to this,below is a larger scale map of the same period which I did not have access to when i wrote the original

map_c_1889_showing_passageway_by_fish_market_off_Spiceal_St.jpg

Hi Jayell, yes, Westley's Row ran between Lower Priory and what is today Newton Street, and can be seen in both maps I posted. It was named after William Westley, the famous Birmingham architect and surveyor. Today the Row forms part of Dalton Street, whch was at one time called London Prentice Street. Some pics from the area...two of Dalton Street and three of Lower Priory.

Dalton St 1936 Bridges.jpg Dalton Street frm  Lwr Priory.jpg Lower Priory .jpg Lower Priory 1955.jpg Lower Priory.jpg

Thanks Dennis. My Irish 2 x gt.grandparents lived in London Prentice Street. By the time I found this out and visited the area, there was only a small portion of Dalton Street left. Good to see the photos. I have seen one of them before, but of course in 1846 it would have looked very much different in LP Street!

Judy

What wonderful photos. The 1960s views are very familiar, especially this one of Dennis's earlier post of Cannon Street.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355004052.793019.jpg

The Chinese restaurant on the right was The Clover in the late 70s. At the time of the photo, you can just see the vertical sign in Chinese and there's an English sign looks like "(Rice?) Bowl" perhaps. Went in there when it was The Clover many, many times, very dark interior. Food was probably rubbish by today's standards, but it was quite cheap. Some great photos in the last few posts and lots of interesting info too. Thanks Dennis. Viv.

Yes, thanks Viv and Jayell for your appreciation. I'm afraid to say I have no idea which businesses or buildings were connected by the bridges, I have often wondered that myself. Maybe one of our resident sleuths will know?

Meanwhile, back to John Ball's lovely photos...this time mainly round the back of the Council House...

Barwick St rt.jpg
Barwick Street from the corner angle looking towards Snow Hill Station

Barwick Street.jpg
Barwick Street looking down the other way to Edmund Street

Cornwall St  Mgt St.jpg
Cornwall Street

Eden Place.jpg
Eden Place

Margaret St.jpg
Margaret Street

Last edited:
Dennis & Jayell,

I think at least one of those bridges connected the old Mail and Despatch offices on Corporation St with the printing works.

At least the area around the back of the Council House hasn't changed tooooooo much!
Lovely photos.

Jayell
The c1937 map below confims that one of the bridges does connect to the Printing works

map_c_1937_Dalton_st.jpg

Viv I went to the Clover in 1964 and it was the 1st chinese meal I ever had. To my memory it was fantastic.

I was a regular customer at The Clover in the late 1950's. On visits to Brum I often went there. Last time was in 1968. My first Chinese
meal in a restaurant in Brum was a restaurant in Station Street opposite the entrance to New Street Station. Can't remember the name now.
We used to have Luncheon Vouchers issued at New Street Station where I worked and my office colleagues would save them up for a week
and have lunch at this restaurant. Great food. I also loved the Kam Ling on Livery Street. Excellent Cantonese cooking back in the early 1960's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the map and info Mike and Phil. Someone may fill in the other one in time..?

The mention of the Clover, Viv and carolina, reminds me of the Light of Asia (I think it was called that) Chinese Restaurant over a chemist's shop on the corner opposite the Law Courts. Became a Yates' Wine Lodge, and now awaiting yet another transformation...The first photo here shows the original corner of the building, which somehow has survived the many changes to Corporation street over the years. It was originally called the Court Restaurant I think. I remember you having to go upstairs to it, and can definitely remember having eaten there in 1959, just before I started work. Must have been one of the first Chinese places in Town, like the Clover, Kam Ling and Lychee Gardens?

The other photos are from John Ball's collection, and from that area in the 60s...including another bostin' old restaurant of my mis-spent youth, the Firebird in Carrs Lane...

Law Courts steam tram.jpg
Law Courts circa 1900..

Coleridge Passage.jpg
Coleridge Passage

Newton Street.jpg
Newton Street

Henns Walk.jpg
Henns Walk

Carrs Lane.jpg
Carrs Lane - The Firebird...

Last edited:
Dennis, you have come up trumps with that picture of The Firebird in Carrs Lane. I had forgotten what the exterior looked like until you reminded me with that photo. Used to spend a fair bit of time in the jazz club under the restaurant!

Judy

The first Chinese Restaurant I went to was in Station Street, very close to the Tatler Cinema and The Rep. Can't remember the name though, but it would have been about 1961. I thought it was one of the first Chinese Restaurants in town, but I may be mistaken.

Judy

Jayell
GWas it the Happy Gathering? The menus were in chinese and I was shown how to use chop sticks by the owner

The Happy Gathering was round for years, still there in the late 70's, went there when I started at Selly oak a whole group of (probably rowdy) student nurses and they were brilliant, just gave us platters of everything to tryand hugely discounted the cost for us, good memories!
Sue

Sorry I meant Station Street not Market Street on my above post. So it was the same place Judy. I don't think way back when it first opened that it
was called Happy Gathering. I hope someone can clarify this. They had very good Chinese food I remember. I also think at that time late 1950's they had
a small English menu. I remember having scampi with chips one time. They made awful custard. My brother, who was a Trad jazz fan used to go there
with his friends after leaving the jazz venues. They would joke around with the waiters who got the idea that these patrons would run away without paying which they never did. Just in case, one or two of the cooks would lurk around the front door with a cleaver in hand!

Ok Mike. I think I have it sorted although I don't know the name of the first restaurant opened in the late l950's on Station Street where the Happy Gathering Restaurant is now. Happy Gathering first opened in Pershore Street in 1968 and then moved to Station Street in 1970. It was the first Cantonese restaurant in Brum and served authentic Cantonese food. Didn't mean for this thread to be a Chinese restaurant one.

Thanks for the map and info Mike and Phil. Someone may fill in the other one in time..?

The mention of the Clover, Viv and carolina, reminds me of the Light of Asia (I think it was called that) Chinese Restaurant over a chemist's shop on the corner opposite the Law Courts. Became a Yates' Wine Lodge, and now awaiting yet another transformation...The first photo here shows the original corner of the building, which somehow has survived the many changes to Corporation street over the years. It was originally called the Court Restaurant I think. I remember you having to go upstairs to it, and can definitely remember having eaten there in 1959, just before I started work. Must have been one of the first Chinese places in Town, like the Clover, Kam Ling and Lychee Gardens?

The other photos are from John Ball's collection, and from that area in the 60s...including another bostin' old restaurant of my mis-spent youth, the Firebird in Carrs Lane...

View attachment 83218
Law Courts circa 1900..

View attachment 83216
Coleridge Passage

View attachment 83219
Newton Street

View attachment 83217
Henns Walk

View attachment 83215
Carrs Lane - The Firebird...

Dennis, here's the said emporium entitled 'Light of Asia' dated Feb.1962. Educational link from Getty Images

3364697-february-1962-winters-fruit-and-vegetable-shop-gettyimages.jpg

Here's the link in case the picture goes missing

https://cache1.asset-cache.net/gp/3...=zJE7wqxfVISC0RlQxeWy3fYf+VK+z6KzxX7KWRW0heg=

Mike, I have no idea what the name of the Chinese Restaurant was. Just remember going there for the first time and not knowing what to order. We asked for No.1 on the menu!! When it turned up it just looked like a mess on the plate with a fried egg on the top. As I had just come out of Yates's, it turned my stomach and I had to leave!!!! My first experience of Chinese food - but now I just love it.

Jennyann - I guess it must have been the same restaurant as I remember crossing the footbridge over New Street station and coming out in Station Street almost opposite the restaurant.

Judy

Great photo of the Light Of Asia Chinese Restaurant Richie. I have seen mention of this place being the first Chinese Restaurant in Brum
somewhere. It was out of my are as it were.

Yes, thanks Richie, you made my day with that one! My Mrs still thinks it was named summat else earlier...great stories about old restaurants...they add a little sparkle to the back alleys of our youth...

Anyhow, more from John Ball's collection to ponder...

Moor St 1.jpg
Moor Street

Moor Street 2.jpg
Moor Street

Snow Hill  Capri car.jpg
Snow Hill

Stephenson Place Exchange Building.jpg
Stephenson Place

Stephenson Place New St.jpg
Stephenson Place

Stephenson's Place was once a key place of measurement in Birmingham. Atwood's statue being considered the centre of Birmingham according to Showell's Dictionary. The 'Centre' has obviously moved about the town through time. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355150063.816224.jpg

More from John Ball's lens...1963 or thereabouts...circa Corporation Street area...

Cherry Street.jpg
Cherry Street

Needless Alley.jpg
Needless Alley

Temple Passage.jpg
Temple Passage

Union St Passage.jpg
Union Street

Warwick Place.jpg
Warwick Passage

Back